AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. stupidalex

stupidalex Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD 5145
    I saw on the post that build v5.15 support from hd 2xxx to 6xxx. I thought that it will support HD 5145, I guess not. The exp build v5.15's catalyst can't detect the hd 5145 video card. Also there wasn't a genetix install cmd file anywhere I could find in the v5.15 7zip that I downloaded :(!

2. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    HD 5145 is just a rebadged HD 4570, so it's not supported by the base driver 5.15 uses, which is 12.6a.
    Not even an .inf modification would help since the support for HD 4xxx-based cards are stripped out from the driver files themselves.

3. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    UPDATE - 08.10.2012:

Got some good news, I finally found an crazy to booth coder to work with me and getting new equipment in currently (which takes week or two to deliver to
    me) and maybe will be continuing this topic after all since I am starting to get some time now to actually work in piece and, if I can get the new tech to my
    table to work with including getting scripts coded to some Visual C# wrap we might actually see some new tools for web as got 'few' new ideas.

Anything and everything I add however will remain open source including software clean up or downloadable txt file (if it happens to be that we have to
    use some kind of DAT formation as suggested).

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  4. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    NitroRX6800
    1. does this works for 7850 ?

2. is this driver for CF only or also works on single gpu ?

5. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    Please, can you release Win XP modified build ?

6. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    I used to build separate builds for CF and single cards, but atm I suggest using official drivers or other mods as anything on first page are outdated.

As I said before XP is dead system no matter how bad Windows 8 is people will still use NT6 core OSes and I believe this project should stay under NT6 only.
    Optimization for DX9 is really hard to find for first(Although, have to admit I still need to find some with DX9 directed optimization never the less) and I
    don't believe effort put to build XP driver would make a change for anyone it would end up building 2 years old mods to new for speed improvements and
    failing for badly optimized new modules.

7. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
    Love your cleaner, dude. It always fixes my sh1t.

8. lycanwrath

lycanwrath Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX480 8GB ref
    When I tried the 12.6 experimental build I had idle clock bug on my HD6950 2GB, the clock would net go below 500MHz. I think that would happen with the Official 12.6 also, which means its the 12.6 itself thats no good :)

The performance was sweet though, hope to see a new build soon :)
    I am actually using 12.9 for my card, no flicker or idle clock bug and I have decent performance.

9. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Should be pretty, ok. I use it still all the time I am so clad I turned it to detect what to remove instead of old style when I build it first and try to get everything 1 at the time.

To be totally honest I believe other mods on web would be much better than current build of mine. I bet the last 4 drivers versions out will be as every
    year the best of the set and then we will see "improvement" to next year and yet again same cards don't work so fast with some new thing which is
    totally useless anyway. :)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  10. vigo

vigo New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960
    At the moment I am using Genetix build 4.23a.
    I have ATI4890 on a x64 win7

What drivers do you advice me to use?

11. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    That's a difficult one since you cannot use the drivers which were actually fixed by AMD or well there's no Device ID's on those which would work better, so, it's a bit between buggy and fast and mods, heh.

12. useafo

useafo Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 6790 1GDDR5
    Greetings, I'm useafo, and I would like you to help me to solve this problem:

I'm currently doing some DIY eGPU project that enables a laptop to run desktop video card in order to be able to play games with higher framerates. I'm using Dell Inspiron 1501, it has ati radeon xpress 1100 integrated gpu, and the external video card is AMD Radeon HD 6790. When I install desktop driver and reboot my laptop, two error codes appear because of driver's installation:

1- Code 31 for AMD Radeon HD 6790.
    2- Code 43 for ATI Radeon Xpress Series(1100).

Now my question is: Can you teach me how to modify INF files in order to unify these gpus annd make them work without any errors? 1+REP to one who give me a proper instructions that really works.

13. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Remove all the AMD device drivers and open up the device manager. You should have 2 Standard VGA Graphics Adapters. Take the properties of those adapters and look for 'Details' -> 'Hardware IDs'(drop down bar) copy both of the adapters top of the line to some notepad or something.

You basically wanna disable the 'ATI Radeon Xpress Series(1100)' and attach the display directly to the 'AMD Radeon HD 6790' and do (probably several) reboots to BIOS identify's the correct main GPU. Usually BIOS even on desktop boards forces the primary channel as main GPU which means you would not get picture from second channel GPU unless you would rip the primary GPU out and force it 1 time to secondary GPU with display and then re-attach the main GPU. Now this BIOS issue is probably the main issue you're having also and it's not possible to get rid of the 'ATI Radeon Xpress Series(1100)' which makes this a bit more difficult might even need some BIOS modifications to do it. Also, on laptops (I don't have your hardware so can't check this), but some of them forcefully patches by bios the ID's to new devices no matter how new/unknown it is.

Now as for the 'Hardware IDs' and INF's, basically you would simply open correct arch. Windows INF file for correct windows version and look for your "HD 6790" at the inf duplicate that line and add the Hardware ID you copied from the device manager to that new line and then forcefully install it through device manager to that device ignoring the signing / hell might as well turn bcdedit testsigning on for boot to make it go easier or F8 to not check driver signing at windows start, however, even when you are probably able to force the driver in the machine you are still dealing with several issues here's few:

* BIOS hardware to understand what GPU it uses as main GPU for display.
    * Bandwidth of your laptop vs. new graphics. (your laptop won't have even a fragment of bandwidth what new AMD GPU will need meaning buffering data from HD -> Memory -> CPU -> GPU will be extremely slow, however, while data would resident at GPU memory it would be damn fast as long it doesn't swap / buffer back to system main memory (which would be advicable to be turned to something like Kingston HyperX, if attempting to run like super laptop).

Those are the main issues you will be facing in that project and as for the note this would be easiest done with Intel Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge processor families with gpu with few hacks.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  14. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    NitroRX6800
    so your next driver is gonna be only for win 8 ?

if its true, then i'm sad, cos it is obvious that win 7 is superior than win 8,

and even MS tried to relaunch win 8 and blame OEM because of weak sales.

15. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Actually, I was thinking of posting here and I did post here stats of DX9,11,OGL,OCL and PCIe 3.0 statistics, but since my current thinking of
    AMD devels / marketing work done has absolutely nothing to do with constructive criticism I'll just gonna skip it (Basically what AMD drivers has
    been blabbering about last 2 years of all the unused features to actual reality numbers from their drivers where some of the 2009-2011 drivers
    were faster drivers than their current performance drivers it just gets a bit hilarious).

However, I will raise my thumbs up for AMD staff to finally get out "some sort of" driver cleaning utility after the random application naming scheme you've
    been having it's about time you db it all and clean the stuff. Although, seems the utility has quite a bit work still to be done, but as I've also build similar
    toon I know it's a lot of stuff in right manner to actually work correctly, heh.

Nah, Windows 8 is a system we pass by clean-up. There's absolutely not a single reason in this planet for a human being to start up Windows 8
    Operating system ever(Now, don't get me wrong I like my phone just don't like it to be my desktop and sure as hell wouldn't recommend it to anyone
    even if they would love their phone ;P), even its core updates are not faster than Windows 7 which general might make a person try to clean/hack down
    Microsoft mess to be able to get functional operating system.

It is more likely that, if I decide to make some change I would be building Server System GPU/CPU clean processing drivers beside the desktop gaming
    drivers maybe even include some kinda linux variant.

:)

--

As for the driver:

My time is still very very limited, can't concentrate on testing almost at all, but I did run over month of statistics, so, I now have the full database of
    data of each driver since 2008 again covered. So, it might be possible that I get back to it.

--

Thanks for the forum admins for dropping the topic
    from tagged/highlighted ones as for long time I simply haven't / couldn't of kept up on this topic. Even still I am unable to arrange time which this topic would require.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013

16. Strykaar

Strykaar Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2 2GB
    Hey Tee-dub (you mind if I call you Tee-dub?) I just wanted to say, I'm using build 5.10 on my 4870x2 and it's blowing my mind. These drivers are squeezing performance out of this card that I didn't even know existed until now. Awesome job man, just splendid.

Just had one question that I haven't been able to sort out on my own yet.

When installing the drivers and it asks to choose an option (for the kind of setup you have). For a 4870x2, which as you know is a multi-gpu/crossfire card, do you recommend selecting option #2, for single card or 5970 or option #4 for a crossfire setup. I've tried it both ways and so far I'm not seeing too much of a difference. Again, thanks for these awesome drivers. Back to the gaming.

17. blast12

blast12 New Member

GPU:
    hd 3650
    I've downloaded "Experimental Build v5.15" and there is no 'genetix_install_silent.cmd' or 'genetix_install.cmd' files there. How to install it?

18. pharaphobia

pharaphobia Guest

GPU:
    HyperX 4GB 1600mhz
    You sir are genius! your drivers (v5.10) fixed my problem with StarCraft which wasnt even running on other drivers in crossfire setup with 20-30 fps.. your drivers kicks in with 130fps with everything on ultra-extreme and crossfire clearny going :p! I love you (no homo tho ;;)

19. edneyhelene

edneyhelene Guest

GPU:
    R9 270x MSI OC Gaming 2gb
    No news on it? i wish u could keep doing your work!!

20. pseudodeed

pseudodeed Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Qadro M400M
    Hello Please can everybody help me. I have this GPU configuration. AMD switchable 4250+6630M.
    Which Driver can i use for Windows 10.