AMD Catalyst 12.4 (8.961 April 5) AMD Official WHQL

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by kyz, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I thought the 8.97 was an early 12.5, as the 12.4's are 8.96

2. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    I really started falling in love with MLAA 2.0. On The Witcher 2 and Skyrim, it does extremely good job. On BF3, especially in maps without many electrical-wires, metallic pylons ( Caspian Border, Noshar Canals etc ) it does much better job than the in-game FXAA. No blurriness at all and same or even less performance hit. On BF3 unfortunately you still need at least 2x MSAA for the pylons and wires when you're moving, seeing from distance ( Operation Firestorm ).

And the image much better. Obviously the bug we had ( 7xxx series ) was kinda serious. Just join Strike At Karkand and you'll immediately feel it. Also, I had a serious problem when I was getting 45-50FPS when explosions etc, the game was totally unplayable 'cause of the extreme stuttering/slowliness. Now on the same low FPS, behaves smoother.

Now let's see what this babe can do on Adaptive-AA: Super Sampling Anti-Aliasing: Level of Detail (LOD) Image Quality enhancements

P.S. I was talking about 8.97 ( 18 April ). I'll try these official 12.4 and if I won't be satisfied, I'll go back to April 18 ones.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  3. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

stop trolling.

4. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Stop giving them attention and quoting their messages. Let 'em writing the same always.

First time in my 13-14 years of PC experience I'm on AMD's camp, and these dudes are really boring. Like parrots they copy-paste the same whining.

5. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Or report the troll :nerd:

6. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Loving these drivers so far

4xEQ With adaptive AA on, max settings I'm getting 9FPS higher in L4D2, getting 3FPS higher in Serious Sam 3, no difference in prototype, 5FPS higher in skyrim, 5% less GPU use in TF2 (I have it frame locked to 60FPS), 5FPS higher in Borderlands (Big deal given how much transparent textures unreal games use) etc etc

Very impressed, not done MLAA 2.0 tests yet, but I can try later

7. Sharoth

Sharoth Guest

GPU:
    XFX Merc 319 6900XT
    Seems I am getting a flicker in BF3 with these. Not sure what it is.. Any ideas ?

8. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    I just installed the drivers and going on BF3. Can you tell me what exactly you see to check about? Is it easily noticeable?

9. Sharoth

Sharoth Guest

GPU:
    XFX Merc 319 6900XT
    Yeah.. as soon as the map loads there is a slight flicker to some of the textures, and its nonstop.. I'm playing with settings now to see if I can get rid of it.

10. Sharoth

Sharoth Guest

GPU:
    XFX Merc 319 6900XT
    Well I rebooted and changed a few settings in bf3 settings editor and now its not doing it. /shrug

11. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Indeed, I don't see any kind of flickering.

Guys, do you have any new options in "3D Application Settings" ? I don't see any new, like LOD adjustments etc. Also, I don't even have the option to tick "High Quality Anisotropic Filtering". Why so?

P.S. By the way, Sharoth... What Voltage do you give for 1100Mhz and what ASIC Quality you got? Personally I achive 1100 with 1.168V and 72.7% ASIC.

12. Valagard

Valagard Guest

LOD quality for AMD is Catalyst A.I. i think

13. Sharoth

Sharoth Guest

GPU:
    XFX Merc 319 6900XT
    I got 1100 stable at 1.150v in Afterburner.. and I also use +20% Power Limit. Not sure I understand the Power Limit, but at 1150 and +20% limit, 1100 is stable and doesn't run too hot for gaming. Benching it hits 70c but I rarely get anything higher than 62c in gaming.

14. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Guys, can I ask you something?

If I set Morphological AA and set "Overide Application Settings" with, say, 4xEQ, does this improve the MLAA even more or its quality is 'fixed' ?

I mean, this slider 4xEQ, 8xEX etc is only for MSAA, Adaptive MSAA and SSAA?

15. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    I wouldn't use Morphological AA, imo it does look crappy and blurry

16. Comrade_Jerkov

Comrade_Jerkov Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 G1
    I tried these drivers with a few rounds of BF3 multiplayer. First round was on kharg island and that had a ton of flickering. I played through it. The next map was Caspian Border and I set it at ultra w/4x MSAA. The flickering went away and the IQ seemed decent. Performance is mostly the same as well. The lowest it dipped to was 48fps but other than that the average would be a little over 60. Caspian Border on a 50+ server is a pretty rough map for systems. My system is still at the clocks to the left.

17. ukpicky

ukpicky New Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix980Ti@1440/4000
    Was having problems with random disconnects from battlefield 3, seems more stable now with these drivers (was on Beta 12.4's), played 5 - 1500 ticket severs and no disconnections yet!! ;-), also performance seems to be up as well, seems smoother to be honest, keepers for me

18. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    I find Caspian Border much lighter than others, mostly because of the Hilltop in the middle which is hiding big part of the map.

Having High/Ultra mesh in other maps, is the reason usually we get low FPS, like Suburb Flag in Strike at Karkand, TV Station Flag in Sharqi Peninsula etc...

19. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    MLAA is 'on top of' everything at the end, there is no #x value

so the quality is 'fixed' but only in the sense of what it does, if you put it on top of MSAA you'll blur even more (maybe use MSAA without adaptive, so your transparent trees are jaggy, then add MLAA & they would be smooth)

play around right it, but i do prefer FXAA/SMAA's look

20. Sobtanian

Sobtanian Active Member

GPU:
    7970 crossfire-1125/1575
    BSOD (atikmdag. What else?) for every single game with these :/

The betas were much better. Gonna have to roll back.

SIGH.