AMD/ATI Radeon HD6800 XT (Northern Islands Next Generation ATIs GPUs) Rumour...

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by chispy, Feb 16, 2010.

1. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Lol, what do you think of my last statement then:

Jeez, I was just fooling around anyways :rolleyes:

Most standard consumer pcs do not come equipped with an 8800gt or something alike, though. (there is only a modified 7800gt in the ps3, you know?)

And by the way my last sentence is not a statement, it is in fact a reason for many players not to play PC games. I speak plenty of people who are so pissed off that when they've just bought a new system and the next game comes out it runs like a slideshow on their system. Or they have to turn the settings all the way down so that it even looks worse than on the ps3. You don't want to do that with a new system. So for those people it IS more convienent to stick with a console for a few years.
    Also an XBOX360 costs €150 these days. Videocards can cost more than an entire console easily.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  2. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    You can not compare consoles and PCs.

There is too much ignorance, bad purchases and many misconceptions.

3. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Well now I've seen you making some pretty louche statements yourself.

Do explain :)

*Or maybe not, this is leading to a thread derailment here.

4. Bornakiller

Bornakiller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SLI
    Now whats missing is PhysX and 3d then we can say :banana: Nvidia!!

5. RossCorp

RossCorp Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570GTX SLI
    I have to disagree. The way I look at it is thus... We now have the option for really AMAZING, bleeding-edge technology, but "option" is the key word. Just because the 5800's are out doesn't mean I have to ditch this 'crappy' 4870, I am still perfectly happy with this card and all the games I play. A few moments now and then I think a little more horsepower would be nice, but it isn't worth $400 to me.

The problem is we live in a consumer world and every day that goes by more and more people are brainwashed. "MUST CONSUME...............mmmmmmmmgguuhhghgugnnmn" You have the option to consume. :spam2:

I thinks I will be consuming one of these 6800's though! First thought I had seeing the title was of my old 6800 GS "Ultra", ahhh those were the days! :O

6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Wtf, can no one read properly, this news is over a year old, and its wrong.

This link is taken from inside the OP's first link.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/11/2/amds-next-gen-gpu-manhattan-and-northern-islands-use-32nm-process.aspx

Articles dated 11/2/2009, and was updated in November with this :-

Pmsl :D :D :D :D

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  7. Razorrig

Razorrig Banned

GPU:
    HD 5870 Xfire 1025mhz
    This arguement in its self is out dated and played out. The days of having to upgrade your GPU every six months in order to play the latest games at decent settings are loooonnggggggg over.

Also with a console while its cheaper you are stuck with the same graphics for nearly the entire lifespan of the console. Have fun with that.

PS. The 8800GTX was released in Nov of 2006 (over 3 yrs ago mind you) and guess what? it can still handle most of the latest games just fine on high settings and with far better graphics and frame rates than what a PS3 is capable of producing.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  8. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    other than going with 3 24" screens or summit i dont see the need for any gfx power above an nvidia 260 or 4870, there is no real need for my 5850, no games need this horsepower. The stage is changing, most games are multiformat and the least common denominator is the consoles, therefore they dictate the gfx power required and its becoming less and less( in terms of pc gfx cards rendering power )

9. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    OK, my point was overexaggerated, but

People who buy consoles are primarily buying them for PLAYING games or for entertainment or fun with the entire family, not for the graphics. And graphic development is not static on the ps3. You are not stuck with the same graphics, every game looks different and games on the ps3 nowadays look noticeably better than games which were released at launch.

Fact remains, that with the latest DX10 hardware I cannot enjoy the DX11 features of tomorrows games and it will always be like that. "I'm stuck with the same graphics for the entire lifespan of my videocard" :)

What I was trying to say was: by buying a console you are ensured of a long lasting purchase that does not feel outdated a year after you've bought it. If you bought a graphics card last year and you take a look at current technology now, you're outdated. There is DX11, there are refresh products offering better performance, new series with new technologies developed.
    However the fundamentals of the PS3 haven't changed. There is now the PS3 Slim, but is it more powerful? Does it offer significant new technologies? No.

Anyway lol @ this thread and its false information. Nice observation Rich_Guy, noone including me noticed :bang:

10. Razorrig

Razorrig Banned

GPU:
    HD 5870 Xfire 1025mhz
    Thats not entirely true, while most games will fly with a HD 5850 there are still a few that will give your GPU a hard time.

11. Razorrig

Razorrig Banned

GPU:
    HD 5870 Xfire 1025mhz
    I will admit that is true about the PS3, its an amazing console to say the least. The Xbox 360 on the other hand peaked out pretty early.

From a technical stand point yes, from a gaming stand point not really. DX10 never really took off much less DX11 which is a long ways off from seeing a true native built from ground up DX11 game.

If you own a 8800GTX-GTX260 you are still getting practically the same eye candy as current DX11 cards abliet lower performance.

12. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
  13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Could be only 3 months old by the looks of it now, as ive read the date as we do it in the UK, as when we do 2nd Feb 2009, we would put 11/02/2009, we put the month in the middle here, where as in America etc..., they put the month first, so it looks like it could be their way, so would be 2nd November 2009, as they have also wrote the updated date as November 23rd 2009, which is 11/23/09, day again being in the middle.

so looks like i didn't read it properly as well then, lmao, but still its old news thats wrong. :giggle2: :giggle2:

14. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    haha its all good :)

15. atimaniac

atimaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI EVOKE RX 5700 X
    damn,dx 11.1 ,they are fast :p,we have only 3 games on dx 11 ,and they relase dx 11.1 in this year :D ,fuxxxing micro****

16. pjokerxp

pjokerxp Banned

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    awesom DirectX update!! that would kick the console out of the way for us pc gamers!! YAAAAY!! more Directx please!

17. pjokerxp

pjokerxp Banned

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    PS3? pfff PS3 is using nvidia 7800 card but slightly moded...
    8800GTX was the king of all GPUs at its time!

18. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    +1 Agreed :D

19. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Exactly. Which if you think about it, its amazing the performance they can squeeze out of the PS3 with the modified 7800 GTX architecture. It takes ~8800GTX to get the same performance in game usually on PC as PS3. And yes, 8800GTX will stand for a long time as a such a legendary performer for its time. We've yet to see such a massive performance jump from one generation to another from G70--->G80.

20. Super XP

Super XP Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6970