Afterburner not following Hysteresis setting correctly

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Phenomz, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Phenomz

Phenomz Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Hello everyone.

I'm facing an issue with the hysteresis setting, and I believe it isn't working as it should. I've of course read this thread and also this one and few others, and I don't understand why the OPs are called wrong.

It has been said many times that the hysteresis setting takes whichever temperature caused the fans to ramp up (let's call it A temp), and won't allow them to go back down unless the temp goes a certain value of degrees below that A temp (let's call it, the hysteresis value, B temp), being A temp - B temp = Temp that will make the fans go down again.

Here's my specific case, I have an RTX 2080 Super from Zotac, both of the fancoolers make an annoying noise at any speed below 35% and whenever they turn on and off because their bearings are faulty, so my minimum fan speed must be 35% while gaming, and 0% while being at the desktop.

Card is well beyond warranty so no RMA is possible, and I don't even think about upgrading GPU or buying another one given how the current market is behaving.

I have my fan curve set like this, a maximum of 70% fan speed with incremental steps, and a minimum of 35% fan speed when the card reaches 55ºC which happens in almost any demanding game.

upload_2021-9-16_9-50-45.png

The issue comes when I'm gaming. Fan speeds come up as they should, card hits over 55º, once the game is opened

upload_2021-9-16_9-54-48.png

But then, a few seconds after alt-tabbing and with the card still at 49º, the fans go straight to 0%, not respecting the hysteresis value of 15 that should allow them to turn them off only once they reach 55 - 15 = 40ºC.

upload_2021-9-16_9-59-37.png

If I'm not correctly understanding how the hysteresis setting works, please let me know if there's any way to do what I'm trying to do, which is: Fans turn on from silent mode (0%) to 35% speed once my card reaches 55ºC (while opening a game, or while gaming in general), and not go down to silent mode again unless my card reaches 40º or below (when I'm clearly done with gaming and not just simply alt-tabbed).

Being alt tabbed from a game gives me anywhere around 45ºC, whereas while being completely idle just web browsing or watching Netflix gives me temps below 40ºC. I thought hysteresis would keep my fan running in a case like this where my temps are still higher than idle temps and prevent the fan on-off situation when alt-tabbing, since I'm not done with gaming and just alt tabbed just like my temps show; yet the fan goes back to silent mode as soon as it drops to 49º.

Hope I could be understood, any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I beleive that you should slowly readead quoted links, probably do it a few times. Your understanding of intended feature functionality is wrong. Your verification math used for claiming that it is "not respecting hysteresis" is wrong. The last temperature point that triggered fan speed increase in your example is not 55C. It is 50% duty cycle set at 65C+ temperature. Which means that with hysteresis of 15C the next fan speed decrement is allowed at 65C-15C = 50C. That's exactly what you're seeing.

3. Phenomz

Phenomz Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    I see what you mean, but why is hysteresis considering that 50% fan 65C temp point on my graph to apply its effect? A fan speed increase is only considered from 50% and up? Isn't 0 to 35% considered a fan speed increase?

4. Unwinder

Why it should do that and select some random point from the past for adjustment? It is a complete nonsense, which you’re trying to hard-link with your wanted usage case. Reread the links, you’re fundamentally misunderstanding the principles of hysteresis functionality. Last temperature point causing fan speed increment is always the base for it.

5. Phenomz

Phenomz Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    I did read that you mentioned an example of 50% for temps lower than 70º, and I'm saying I read it as an example for someone else's fan curve because of the key word "imaging", as in representing something, precisely here:
    upload_2021-9-16_11-40-55.png
    But I did not think that you meant it as an explanation of how the feature is programmed.

With this being said, this means that the hysteresis feature simply doesn't fit my case scenario? Do you happen to know any way to make hysteresis consider the first point from 0 RPM to 35%, or any way/program to set a reverse fan curve for descending temperatures?

Attached Files:

6. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I agree with your idea of how hysteresis should work. If Unwinder doesn't, your only chance is linear instead of flat curve between points. I wasn't even aware that hysteresis puts last fan speed change into account, as this is hardly noticeable with linear curve (it's better for fans that aren't crap anyway).

7. Phenomz

Phenomz Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Yeah, I would totally use linear curves as I do on all of my other case and radiator fans, but unfortunately my gpu fans do make an audible rattling when lowering speed from 35 to 0 in small amounts, being the absolute worst between 10 and 0%. Guess I'll just go back to the days when zero rpm mode didn't exist and just keep the fans always at 35% until 55-60ºC...

8. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Yeah I remember those days when only hardware limitations existed.
    Oh noes ITS STILL THE SAME :eek:

9. Unwinder

It is nice that you agree with each other and know how hysteresis should work much better than developer. Probably that's because you cannot see it one step forward and didn't try to implement such hysteresis control form into real working solution. The way you see it is applicable for single usage case: for just ONE fan speed trigger temperature point of interest, where hysteresis needs to be applied. For complex linear curves hysteresis should ALWAYS be applied to the last fan speed change event, otherwise it has no sense at all. Fan curves are not about emulating zero stop mode only, they are not intended for that as a lot of GPU fan controllers restrict manual zero fan speed with minimum PWM limit anyway. And the sense of hysteresis is not about configuring fan on/off points. It is intended to improve acoustics by delaying fan speed decrement events after each fan speed increment. That's the way it is done in linear multi-point hardware fan controllers. And that's the way it is done here and it won't change.

FatBoyNL likes this.
  10. Phenomz

Phenomz Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    I understand that making it work the way I thought it worked is fairly difficult and it has a reason for not being like that; nobody said we knew more than the developer does, only you are seeing it that way, so at this point you're just putting words in my mouth that I never said.

You made your point clear (which yes, it's the right one), the functionality of the feature was understood, and I will definitely use it when I get a couple of replacement fans that a friend suggested I could buy for my specific case scenario, let's just move on and please would you kindly use that moderator badge to close the thread. Cheers!