Advice on Black Friday upgrade build required pretty please!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Grimbarian, Oct 22, 2018.

1. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    This thread became sort of case story so i have my one still going on and if anyone will ever think to be in bad luck of buying a hardware that flopped on you instantly then read this post, you will change your mind.

So everything started on october 23rd, i ordered 2x16GB 3000MHz ddr4 g.skill ram, asrock x470 taichi ultimate and ryzen 2700x, when i finished and paid for order i got info i will receive my goods on november 2nd, two weeks, i thought "wth?! this is online order, it should come way sooner". Luckily i received hardware few days earlier than november 2nd so i built my upgraded pc, first launch and... no, you can't launch it, it can't be that easy. After few minutes of reading error codes and swapping ram sticks turned out one of sticks is dead on arrival. Ok then, not a big deal, things like that happen and i totally can live with one 16GB stick for few days. Instantly reported to store my situation, delivered to them faulty stick and they replaced it, it took few days. Through this waiting time hardware was working fine, no problems at all. Second stick arrived, plug it in, checked bios - everything is as it supposed to be: 3000MHz dual channel, awesome. I feel happy now! Well, do not be so happy, you totally do not deserve it. PC started giving random reboots and BSODs with various error messages which didn't make easier to figure out what is going on. After some swapping of ram sticks i came to conclusion for some reason dual channel is causing issues. First thing i thought, since i know there used to be some ram compatibility known issues with ryzen cpus, maybe this top-end motherboard has problems with dual channel on this particular model of ram so i contacted asrock. They replied this model of ram officially as g.skill states is compatible with intel's platforms and also isn't listed on QVL list for this motherboard but among suggestions to try out they included not released yet bios v1.60 (at the moment latest stable is 1.50 and latest beta is 1.52). Bios update seemed to fix problem but as it turned out later that was just a false impression. Some time after this i decided to check for driver update for motherboard's built-in wireless networking card (btw, funny thing: motherboard for amd platform has two networking cards (wireless and wired) by intel), downloaded, trying to install and... during installation, freeze. And that was happening every time i was trying to do anything related to this particular networking card. Install driver, uninstall, update, downgrade? Doesn't matter, anything i do pc just freeze during such operation. You would think: "maybe something with OS?" so i did reinstall os which also didn't go smooth, had few freezes and reboots. When finally OS got installed i downloaded again driver from asrock's website and nothing has changed, no matter what version of driver i tried to install or uninstall, freeze! So conclusion was simple: wireless networking card is faulty. Once card was disabled via bios and i did use usb one instead then everything was working good... sort of. Do you remember i mentioned freezes and reboots during windows 10 install? Stay with me as this was caused by something else than wifi card. When i figured out situation with motherboard's wireless networking card reboots and bsods were still happening. I was already after replacing few other parts (ram, hdd, psu, cables, windows installer and usb stick for windows installer) the only thing i have not replaced yet was cpu. I was lucky my friend has ryzen 1600x so i borrowed it for few hours. Replaced the cpu and... reboots and bsods stopped. Instantly fixed everything. I continued my testing and decided to check something else. Pushed the clear cmos button on motherboard, decided to just start a pc without modifying anything in bios settings. I was running pc like this for few hours, not a single reboot nor bsod, everything fine. Then i went into bios settings to put ram to its rated speed and when applied, rebooted pc then windows was unable to start. Reverted to 2133MHz? Everything boots fine! I know you know already what it is, right? Yes, memory controller in cpu is faulty as well, hooray! Before you ask if it is not ram which is faulty again, no, it is not. As i mentioned earlier i replaced everything on my testing way, ram including. To do that i asked my other friend, not the same one who lent me a cpu, to swap memories. He was using my memories for few hours (web browsing, playing europa universalis IV) at their rated speed 3000MHz in dual channel and had no problems with these memories.

Concluding: i did purchase 4 items ( 2 sticks of ram, top class motherboard and top amd's consumer grade cpu), out of these 4 items only 1 turned out to be working properly. Can you be more unlucky on purchasing hardware? I hope you can't. Now i am sitting back on my old am3 platform waiting until replacements will arrive and hopefully will be working properly out of the box.

This whole situation also leads to important question: where is quality control in factories and what it actually does if anything? I can partially answer to this question as i used to be working in different places doing various kinds of jobs. Few of these jobs were regular employee. Factories are interesting places and one thing common to almost all of them is a conflict between manufacture division and quality control division. Conflict is simple to describe: manufacture division wants more units to be manufactured during a shift, quality control wants better quality of products. You can't have both at the same time. Sometimes when manufacture division gets permission from managers is allowed to skip quality check in order to release more units during a shift. This is a reason why situations like that happen and may happen even more often in future. Companies i used to be working at were not computer hardware manufacturers but other kinds of electronics assemblies and food packaging but i would assume situations from my experience are similar to these which probably are going on in computer hardware factories.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  2. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Ugh horrible story, did you get everything replaced with working parts? This reminds me why I always shop at Amazon, best customer support all round, sent me the wrong RAM and I got to use it whilst the replacement was sent and one I had the correct RAM I send it back, and they refund the postage as well.

3. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Motherboard got replaced instantly without hesitation but person handling cpu rma is trying to make my suffering as long as possible and is lying to me, for example said warranty is handled by amd and they have to send it to amd but on product page in their shop is stated that shop handles warranty. So... maybe next year... Definitely i'm going to do something in legal way about this guy. I would like to be doing purchases at amazon as i know they have wonderful customer support but unfortunately amazon in my country is not the cheapest choice and not the most comfortable to buy from, especially their website is pain in the butt.

You would wonder i ordered from the most popular shop in my country or at least one of the most popular shops with computer hardware.