9800 GTX gettin' 10-13 fps in Crysis?/

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ebflowers, May 17, 2008.

1. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    just realised that. And don't pick on the P4.... ESPECIALLY the northwood. i cranked my little P4 2.4 Northy up to 3.0Ghz, with no voltage increases, and ran perfectly stable. Could even take it higher without voltage increases.... but i figured 3.0 was high enough.

2. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    lol It was rough enough mentioning the two CPU's in the same post, let alone comparing them.

Yeah, I did the same thing on my brother's Northwood P4. 2.4 to 3Ghz and ya know what, it still sucked so bad my old socket A 3000+ @2.16Ghz was smoking it in everything.

A P4 is like the old V8's from the 70's. They have tons of cubic inches (high clock speed) and burn tons of gas (lots of volts) yet they're EXTREMELY inefficient and still aren't fast no matter how big they are.

3. Shiju

Shiju New Member

I respect the post and opinion but only after the line where you attempted to be little me. Living in that past? Nice; maybe you can give me a time machine so I can bypass vista all together.

My View on vista remains unchanged after months of testing and running games on x64 here in the lab even after the OS is tweaked to hell. My results are not the same as yours and I feel that XP gives me better FPS and performance.

Until they do something about the bugs and issues that SP1 was supposed to but did not fix I will stay here on XP living in the past with Marty McFly.

4. bozotheclown

bozotheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    2x8800GTS512@stock
    so? what, if anything, does that have to do with his issue?

5. THEBIG360

THEBIG360 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Phantom 670's SLI
    Vista is fine now and out performs xp for me , thats not the problem . It's DX10 just run crysis in DX9 mode and you should see a big improvement.

Right click crysis exe and select DX9.

6. bozotheclown

bozotheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    2x8800GTS512@stock
    without knowing more about at which settings te game is played, this statement might very well be absolute BS.

for example........

low settings, no AA etc, 1280x1024 means the cpu can hold back crysis performance with the 9800gtx.

high/very high settings + AA at 1280x1024 or higher and that cpu will not be a bottleneck for Crysis when the 9800gtx is used.

7. bluemoogle

bluemoogle Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 260
    i bought a phenom 9600 black edition once a few months ago. same motherboard, but had a 8800 gts 512. the thing ran horrible, i think partly due to the motherboard. its not a true quad core board, just supported with a bios update. its not giving you optimal settings such as the quad core bus speeds like it should.

also look into your fanspeed on that driver. if thats the case its running hot, but i dont think its your 9800.

8. MiNI

MiNI Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6950 unlock 950/1400
    If the OP updated his bois to support the phenom quad core he may have applied the TLB bug fix at the same time, which in some cases can decrease performance by 20% specially in memory bandwidth.

9. bozotheclown

bozotheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    2x8800GTS512@stock
    he's talking about Crysis at medium settings on the GT but there's no specification of what settings at what resolution he's tried on the 9800GTX.

Until he's telling at what settings and at what resolution he's attempted to run the game, we all, can't say anything usefull!

Making statements without knowing the ALL facts leads to nothing.

BTW it's very possible to have poor performance in Crysis on a 9800GTX without having system memory bandwidth issues!

BTW2 memory bandwidth on an Phenom is great, missing 20% will not kill gameing performance if all the rest is ok so my guess is that the rest is not ok:) Untill we're told what exactly was tried, resolution, settings, exact configuration including driver versions.... we can't realy make sense of it.

"I think" is not going to help. Please tell us more about what you did. Exactly please. We want to help. Are all settings high? is VSync on? AA? Which Nvidia driver release? etc etc etc

Oh, and just for a reference. Can you say anything about the performance of other games with the settings of those games on your PC in exactly the same configuration (that includes the driver versions)

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  10. SaGeUvAgOnY

SaGeUvAgOnY Member Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GeForce 9600GT 51
    My Crysis runs alot smoother in Vista 64-bit DX9 vs XP 32-bit DX9. I have had absolutely NO issues with Vista 64-bit AT ALL. I was what you would call one of the BIGGEST Vista haters ever, untill I upgraded and got Vista 64-bit :) I hardly go to XP now unless I need to use a program that is more XP friendly. My PC can kick Crysis's ass at max settings in DX9 @ 1680x1050 at avarage 55-60 FPS Vsync. BUT... once I turn on AA, mainly 16Q, that's when Crysis tells my PC to drop its pants and bend over. It's a slideshow at that point.

Last edited: May 20, 2008

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Bad news, you basically brought a rubbish graphics card. The good older numbers game, you brought the 9800GTX thinking it was more powerful than the 8800GTX cards when they actually are just overclocked 8800GTS cards they run slower and have not had very good reviews.

Your drivers are 175.70 they are not the latest version, 175.16 is the latest version and has just gone WHQL they are excellent in Vista for me giving me around 230fps in COD4 at max detail with 4xAA @ 1680x1050 which to me is nice performance ;)

12. SaGeUvAgOnY

SaGeUvAgOnY Member Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GeForce 9600GT 51
    10-13 fps in Crysis is actually pretty damn good for a 9800GTX :giggle2:

13. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    I find this thread highly entertaining. :smoke:

14. clintonius

clintonius Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512
    Likewise. Hilbert faked those benches! The 9800 doesn't even work! It's actually ninja mongoose waiting to hijack your pc and deliberately tear your fps to pieces! OMG IT DOESN'T PLAY CRYSIS AT VERY HIGH IN DX10 WITH AA AND AF AT 2500 REZ WHAT WILL I DOOOOOOOOOOOO???????????

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-9800-gtx-512mb-review-pov/9

IMO, Crysis needs to stop being the standard by which all video cards are judged. It's not Crysis' superiority to all other games that causes it to be impossible to run maxed; on the contrary, it was coded like crap and performs accordingly. There. I said it. Fanboys, eat me.

And the 9800 gtx, while not an entirely new chip, is also not identical to the 8800 gts 512. Please stop saying it is.

15. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY

Update your motherboards Bio's to the latest. There was one of the Bio's that caused my FPS to drop. Hope you figure it out.

16. ebflowers

ebflowers New Member

GPU:
    BFG Tech 9800GTX OCX
    I cant even run crysis on medium...on the second to lowest resolution. I oc'ed my cpu and saw about a half a percent improvent. I know 9800GTX doesnt suck that much.. i mean come on!!!! there sometihn wrong with drivers or somethin...I play Call Of duty 4 no problem everything amxed out with 4x AA on 1280x800

17. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    9800GTX doesn't suck at all. Great card. Overall, the fastest single gpu on the market @ res up to and including 1600x1200.

You obviously have some rare problem. I can run Crysis at 1680x1050 with everything on Very High, except for shaders...and get pretty good fps, as far as Crysis goes anyway. And that's with a 8800GTS 512mb.

18. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Call of Duty 4 runs smoothly on almost anything maxed out (includes older 7 series and x1xxx series).

Reinstall Crysis, patch it up, update to the latest driver on nvidia 175.16? rebench at all high, also run rivatuner in the background and let it monitor your temps.

19. Jacklking

Jacklking Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800gt
    Also the 9800gtx is not a significant improvement over the 8800 series cards...Its a good card but you can buy 2 8800gt's and sli them for same money and more performance than that gtx

20. Outlaw

Outlaw Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9800 GTX OC, 22" LCD
    I run Crysis maxed out at 1680x1050, except for shadows, on my 9800GTX and it runs very well. Its a nice card. I highly recomend using the latest video drivers in Crysis for the 9800 series. It removed what appeared to be a memory leek which randomly occured after playing the game for some time.