8700k odd behavior

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by blake86, Oct 28, 2018.

1. blake86

blake86 Active Member

GPU:
    4gb dd2 geil
    Yesterday I noticed a strange behavior, I don't know exactly from when, maybe after the October uptade. Looking at cpuz my cpu was stuck at max frequencies, no matter which power profile I choose in windows. Also I noticed slightly lower score in cinebench. My 8700k at 4.9 ghz used to score 1620-1640 but now I see about 1550. The single core score was 195 instead of 210-215. i have had to completely reinstal my OS (a clean instal of the October win 10) to fix the behavior, now frequency drop to 800, cinebench score 1620 in multi and about 215 or so in single. Quite strange, still see odd numbers in cpuz benchmark. Multicore seem ok with around 4300, but single core show a score of 470 that's nonsense cause I used to see 570 or so. My bios setting are the same as always so... I really don't know

2. blake86

blake86 Active Member

GPU:
    4gb dd2 geil
    yes, tried after very clean instal, jus OS, nvidia driver, the cam software for the cpu cooler and specter fix disabled.
    The very strange thing is that cinebench is consistent, 215 - 217 single core that's very good. So the performance are there....
    you really had the same problem with cpuz score? and only single tread benchmark?

3. blake86

blake86 Active Member

GPU:
    4gb dd2 geil
    I'll give it a try. Update the bios I think is useless, because always worked with this version

4. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I had the Asus lighting service for my mobo installed which was eating up CPU usage. Did you check task manager to see if anything like that was hitting your CPU? You could try forcing High priority on Cinebench in task manager and see if that helps with the resource dedication.

I'm currently at 4.8ghz with my 8700k and I get around 1580ish in Cinebench. I don't really OC my RAM (2666mhz) or push my machine for benchmarks though.

5. newls1

newls1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    how about putting the windows power setting to "High performance" to stop the throttling clock speeds and more constant performance