6600GT Poor Driver Performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by SnakeByte193786, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Hey guys,

New to the forums, welcome me later. I've got some big issues with the 6600GT I just received this christmas. I've been playing with drivers all night, and I've tried a great many. However all offer poor performance, even nVidia's WHQL Official latest drivers. The following picture demonstrates the issues I'm having in every game. [​IMG]

It is frustrating me to no end, hopefully this is a common problem since it is with every game I attempt to play. Please provide any/all solutions you can think of.

Thanks in advance.

2. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
  3. Okay, the new drivers appear to have fixed it for the time being, however I ran them with the side removed from my case, because I was informed that the screenshot appeared to demonstrate symptoms of overheating. So now I'm not sure what the problem is.

4. that looks like a gpu issue. either the gpu is overheating or it's fubar.

5. Alright guys,

Here's my latest update and findings

66.93_win2kxp_english.exe (nvidia.com) - Awful problems pieces of walls missing, spikes from players.

67.03_win2kxp_english.exe [beta] (guru3d.com) - Not so bad, almost acceptable, problems appear after playing for a while.

6576_win2k_xp_[Guru3D.com].exe (guru3d.com) - Actually playable, played for about an hour no artifacts however every so often framerates would just plummet to about 1fps.

Is there a pattern here? Recommend me a new driver to try as well. Someone please explain what's happening! Thanks for the help so far.

6. MrRand0m

MrRand0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    clearly it has nothing to do with the drivers. have u checked the temps? is your PSU ok? have you done a format? is your mobo using the latest bios? are your bios settings ok? have u overclocked anything?

7. Thanks for the quick reply
    Odd, I thought the opposite, seeing as how the results are so varied
    They're fine, 41-52C.
    I hope...It's a 350W
    No, that's the plan for first thing tomorrow, figured since my previous card was an nvidia I wouldn't need to reformat immediately
    Probably not
    I guess...Can you be more specific please?
    Not a thing

8. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    have you tried any opengl games, i had a similar problem - played doom 3 no problem, but any dx games displayed as you have shown.

reinstall mobo drivers, reinstall dx9, then reinstall gfx drivers

if not, nuke it and reinstall.

9. JeedaiJoe

JeedaiJoe Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 7800GS OC AGP
    yea sometimes windows just doesn't like a new piece of hardware and you need a fresh reformat....computers are wierd that way...lol....don't get discouraged though....somethings wrong somewhere, it just needs fixin :)

have you used Driver Cleaner to completely wipe out the drivers and have windows redetect the card?

10. virgilr

virgilr Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb
    Same problems here- XFX 6600GT AGP. Benches are OK (well, I get around 70 fps in the CS:source video stress test, that's with 2x aaf/8x anisotropic)- playing games? Terrible! 3 or more characters on the screen at the same time, and I'm getting 18 fps!! Running an XP 1700 OC'd to 1750 mhz (175 mhz fsb, stable, ran all kinds of tests)- I've overclocked the card to 550/1100, no problems- no artifacts, freezing, etc- just terrrrible performance! Board is a MSI KT4VL, via kt400 chipset. Running 67.03 drivers, done the whole clean install thing with detonator rip 1.5, installed the drivers, re-installed them again from the control panel (the "update driver method), using a dedicated sound card, and the via 4 in 1 drivers are the most up to date. NOT running XP SP2- will never install it!
    I have a new barton core 3000 to drop in in a couple of days- I'm hoping I'm hopelessly CPU bound, and that's my problem, because I swapped this card for a eVGA 5900 se that was running quite well - I was really hoping to see a much better improvement than THIS!

I installed the new Barton- as predicted, not much of an improvement- still dip well below 30 fps in farcry (yes, patched to 1.3) when more than 3 characters are on the screen! I really think there are huge performances issues here with VIA chipsets and this series of card- I've seen it all over this board, whenever a VIA chipset is used, although once in a while with an Intel based board. Nvidia or VIA need to get this straight, ASAP- I can imagine that the 6600GT was sold in the thousands as a great upgrade to systems 1-3 years old- and it isn't happening with VIA chipsets!

11. Killgore

Killgore Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7800 GTX
    I am one of those with poor performance with a 6600 GT AGP (3+ models on the screen and I get 20-25 fps and dips into 10 fps all the time (low res low settings).

All the bios/drivers/tweaks/os installes don't work... I have tried them all. All symptoms point to a driver issue by either nVidia or Intel (an intel chipset in my case). I'm biding my time and hoping for a driver fix.

*sigh*

12. virgilr

virgilr Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb
    Interesting note- I've only seen this sort of performance issue with XFX cards- other vendors cards have problems, but usually those indicating a bad GPU. Maybe it's the bios version- my card reports 5.43.03.36 version of the bios. Yours, Killgore? And if there are other bios versions out there- I've heard of a version .37 bios for certain users.... I think these are pretty early versions. (Mine actually said on the box that it was manufactured in August). Also, the version I have has an all silver HSF, that doesn't cover the memory chips- not the version I've seen in photos that has the bulldog creature graphic, with a shroud that covers the memory.

I think XFX should release a bios patch soonish!

13. Xcell

Xcell Active Member

GPU:
    6600gt Leadtek
    i'm yet to hear of this problem on any other board besides xfx

14. JeedaiJoe

JeedaiJoe Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 7800GS OC AGP
    judjing from what i see here....staying away from the XFX model...lol....i was choosing between the eVGA and BFG models anyway....lol

15. stranger_1

stranger_1 Guest

I just got my self the BFG 6600 Gt and am haveing the same problems.
    Spike comeing out of the player moddels. bit missing from walls and the like.
    have tryed the 66.93 drivers with no luck am now downloading the 6576 drivers to see.

the side has been off all the time and the temp is about 30-40 on the card.

will post results when got the new drivers and installed.

16. Killgore

Killgore Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7800 GTX
    My XFX 6600 GT AGP bios reads:

NV43 p218 sku1 VGA BIOS

Thats a long ways off from:

I hope XFX releases a bios update soon as you said, but frankly their tech support is horrible so I'm not going to hold my breath. Is there any way to capture your bios and post it so that I could perhaps update mine?

Oh, and yes, I got this board really early but it has the heatsink/fan w/ the monster on it, so beats me... but it was an early release board. I'll check the box to see if it has a date on it, but the box is aparently just a box for the PCIe version because it contains tons of factual errors (same goes for the manual).

Last edited: Dec 27, 2004
  17. Xion999

Xion999 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVga GTX 580
    glad to hear you have no problems, because i just ordered a leadtek 6600 gt 128mb ddr3 from newegg.

18. Xcell

Xcell Active Member

GPU:
    6600gt Leadtek
    i orders the same Leadtek a few days ago too , lets all hope they will release a patch to fix all this

19. virgilr

virgilr Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb
    I think nvflash could be used to save off the bios version- I'd need confirmation of that from a guru here, though! Sheesh- so, obviously, this isn't a bios issue, then, since I have a more recent bios revision- I've read on the XFX forums that other people received cards with the same HSF as mine, and they're not all that happy about it either! I just can't see how XFX is directly responsible, though- when I look at the card, it's absolutely reference layout, and I'm overclocking mine to a nice 550 core 1.11ghz memory. Yeah, it runs a little warm- around 73C under full load, but that's not too dangerous (from what I read) for a nvidia GPU. Anyways, it's obviously not just a VIA chipset problem, either, since you're running an intel board- I think it's an nvidia problem with the high-speed bridge chip. I've tried drivers 67.03, 66.93 and 66.81 (that came with the card) and no peformance difference at all. In 3cmark 03, I get donw to 17-18 fps in the nature test- that's RIDICULOUS for this card!!

One thing that I thought was odd- with coolbits enabled, the aperature size is reported as being 256 for the GPU, but only 32 for the chipset and OS- I've set it to 256 in the bios- I wonder if you could check yours, killgore, and see what it reports? You'll need to enable coolbits, though- download the one off the guru3d site to see the AGP info.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2004
  20. Sorry to dissapoint you friend, however my card comes straight from BFG...

Update: Reformatted windows latest drivers still suck. Please someone end my pain. This is awful for this card.