5700 Ultra Overclock

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by AbeFrulman, Mar 8, 2004.

1. AbeFrulman

AbeFrulman Guest

I am interested to see what kind of overclocking people are getting with a 5700 Ultra. Currently I am up 525/1000. I'm wondering what kind of OC people are getting with Air/Stock cooling. I have the BFG brand with ram sinks & stock fan.

2. Badfish

Badfish Guest

I max out on stock air cooling at around 575/1020 or so, typically run my card at 550/1000 during long gaming sessions to be on the safe side. The ambient temperature tends to affect how high the card will go, sometimes the ram will go up to 1030/1040 without artifacts and sometimes at high ambient temperature will show artifacts at 1020. I have the eVGA brand that uses the reference NVIDIA cooling design, it has a combined core/memory heatsink on both sides of the card that covers all the ram chips and core and has a single fan on the usual side.

I would suggest improving case air flow/ambient temperature if you are trying to get a little higher or a more exotic on card cooling solution to get extreme overclocks. Good luck overclocking.

3. fx5900

fx5900 Guest

that's pretty high...higher than what can i OC my fx5900 to

4. DulceBuzz

DulceBuzz Guest

I am just using the CoolBits registry edit. I just used the auto detect and got 527MHz core/ 1.01 GHz memory. Runs cool, 45 degrees C max under a load, and very stable. I am also using the BFG card. The stock cooling on this card is very good. Haven't tried going any higher because all my games are running great.

5. Badfish

Badfish Guest

Unless you have a way to monitor your temps while playing a game or benchmarking I'm betting your load temperature is higher than that. I have tried using Rivatuner to monitor the temp while I'm playing a game but it doesn't appear to support the 5700u's temp sensor. So what I did was open the temperature reading in the NVIDIA drivers and leave it open at the desktop. I then ran a game for a half an hour or so and closed it really fast and saw a temp of around 70C to 75C. In a matter of seconds the temperature dropped by 20-30C. So if you are closing your game or benchmark then opening the NVIDIA drivers to check the temp, chances are it has already dropped by a significant amount. If you have a way to monitor the temps and log them so you can see the peak I would be very interested to know how cause I have been looking for a way. Oh also if you use AA/AF you will find your load temp will increase quite a bit not sure of the exact raise but probably 5-10C.

6. DulceBuzz

DulceBuzz Guest

I was running game and exiting fast also. What I did tonite was different. I left the properties and temp reading open on desktop, and played UT2004 demo for about half hour, hit the windows key to get to desktop while game was running and read temp. It was a little higher at 52 degrees C.

I really think that my case has alot to do with it. It is an Antec server case with tons of room in it. One 120mm fan pulling air from front at bottom, Two 120 mm fans exhausting at the back right above the video card. The Enermax PS has dual fans. When I built the computer 2 years ago, I paid attention to keeping the wiring neat and out of the way, using the round IDE cables so not to hinder circulation.

7. CallMeTreb

CallMeTreb Guest

580/960 mine bfg asylum fx 5700 ultra.... that's even with 8x/8x antialasing and antrisophy.. on quake 3 arena

8. Badfish

Badfish Guest

Yea sounds like you have pretty solid temps and I agree good case air flow plays a big role in the temp of components. I have pretty decent airflow, 2- 80mm intake, 3- 80mm outtake, 3- psu fans, but 120mm fans are really nice. Problem is the ambient temp has been really high where I live lately, guessing it's around 30C or so (no ac). Reached 75C or so in UT2004 @ 1280x1024 with max settings and 2xAA/4xAF on which is what I normally play at. I've heard of NVIDIA cards still working at 100C+ temps, heck the core shutdown threshold is 130C and they were tested up to those temps so I don't think high temps are neccesarily bad for a card.

9. ssbopper

ssbopper Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB
    why isn't a 5700 faster than a 5900 if you can overclock it so much more? is it the design?

10. Badfish

Badfish Guest

The 5700 uses a 128bit memory architecture while the 5900 uses a 256bit memory architecture so the memory bandwidth is a lot greater in the 5900. Also the core on the 5700 has 4x1 pipelines while the 5900 has 4x2 pipelines (I think not real sure on the pipelines). The core is based off similar architecture though so the clock speeds can reach about the same frequencies, maybe higher in the 5700u since there are less pipelines (just a wild guess). The memory on the 5700u can overclock so high because it uses 2.2ns DDR-2 (at least mine does), I believe the 5950 uses 2ns DDR-1, 5900nu 2.2ns DDR-1, and 5900xt 2.8ns DDR-1. Hope this answers your question.

11. AbeFrulman

AbeFrulman Guest

Thanks for the helpful replies people! Now I can't wait to get home so I can monitor the temps for the card while I'm gaming. Luckliy I have dual monitor going so I'll be able to see it in game!

12. lilboi

lilboi New Member

GPU:
    Albatron FX5700 Ultra
    i'm currently o/c my albatron 5700U to 525/1000 and it's running at around 43-45 underload... but during gaming sessions it goes up to around 65-69 but it hasn't gone past the 70 mark yet so all good...

i'm wondering if i should/could take it any further? .. btw it's only got the 3 stock fans that the card is built with no extra cooling yet...

13. smokey163

smokey163 Member

GPU:
    8800ultra 648/1620/972
    I have an XFX 5700 Ultra, I am using 540/1000. I am currently using 2AA 8AF quality, but I am hoping newer drivers(like the ones they promised for the 1st of march) will allow me 4AA 8AF quality, with maybe a lower GPU temperture so I might reach 550/1000. I cant wait for the NV40 generation

14. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    the 5700 ultra is the same design as the 5800 ultra and is using ddr2 the thing I might try soon it to purchase a 5700 ultra 256m clock it to a 5800 ultra and install the flow fx system on it

15. paulonone

paulonone Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 TI
    my 5700 ultra it's running at 581/1050 with no problems. i love this card