2x 4870x2 Wierd crossfire error

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Ha22ard, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Ha22ard

Ha22ard New Member

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte 4870x2 2gb
    Greetings Gents (and ladies). I'm Getting a really wierd error with my setup and i'm hoping someone on the forum could help. Here's the situation:

I have a pair of Gigabyte 4870x2 Graphics cards on a Foxconn bloodrage connected via a crossfire bridge (there is only a single bridge option on these cards) yet for some reason the system only finds "3" cards (should find 4 with the x2 boards) and tells me that the bridge is not connected and that crossfirex is disabled.

I have tried 3 separate bridges with this system so i'm pretty sure it isn't the bridge. The cards were fine on an old x48 board which leads me to believe it is either a bios or a driver problem (but not certain).

I'm running windows 7 x64 Ultimate with most recent patches with 6gb of patriot viper RAM. The system has a Kilowatt enermax galaxy DX2 running it. I have updated to the latest drivers and bios version of the Mobo for this system & have tried versions 9.12 (fixed), 10.2 & 10.1 of catalyst. There are no error lights on on the boards lit i have also checked GPU-Z which is also reporting 3 cards and crossfire disabled.

Does anyone have any idea what the heck is going on? I'm beginning to think i have a bust card but they were fine last week in the x48 and i was very careful when putting them in.

2. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    heres a random thing to try.

uninstall drivers, reboot into safe mode, driver sweeper the ati drivers away.

remove both cards, and swap them around (slot wise) but only install one card first.

install the drivers, then install the second card into the mobo, but do not connect crossfire bridges.

install drivers in windows again, then shut down, connect crossfire bridges, then boot up and choose enable crossfirex in windows. then reboot.

see if that fixes anything.

3. drouge

drouge Master Guru

GPU:
    2x HIS HD5970
    What does Windows device manager show for display devices? If it shows a fourth card disabled, right click it and enable it then reboot.

4. Ha22ard

Ha22ard New Member

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte 4870x2 2gb
    'Fraid it doesn't even show the 4th card in DM...

5. drouge

drouge Master Guru

GPU:
    2x HIS HD5970
    That doesn't sound good.

6. Ha22ard

Ha22ard New Member

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte 4870x2 2gb
    Thats what i thought...

Still in warranty thank god.

going to try a few things but may have to RMA the card...

7. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Try the card who are not fully show alone, if all work fine, i suspect it's the motherboard bios, or the motherboard itself.

But it can be the gpu too..

8. Ha22ard

Ha22ard New Member

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte 4870x2 2gb
    Just thought people may like to know turns out it was one of the GFX cards. Going to rma the blasted thing. Thanks for the advice guys.