11.6 WHQL BSOD Investigation

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by guy_uoft, Jun 15, 2011.

1. guy_uoft

guy_uoft Active Member

Hi guys,

I am one of the unfortunate people who get BSOD when booting into windows after installing the new 11.6 drivers. I thought we'd get all the people together, list our configurations and see if we can spot a common factor that might be causing this. I'll start:

Hardware:
    i5 2500K @ 4.6 ghz (Prime/IBT stable)
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    G Skills DDR3 @ 1600 mhz 8-8-8-24-1T
    ATI made 5850 + XFX non-ref 5870 Crossfire
    HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card
    Intel 320 Series 120GB SSD
    WD Green 1.5TB
    Hitachi 2TB
    Antec Trupower 650W

Software
    Clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Latest Intel Chipset Drivers
    Latest Intel IRT Drivers
    Latest Marvell controller drivers
    Latest JMicron controller drivers
    Latest HT Omega Striker drivers

That's it, nothing more installed, BSOD on boot.

EDIT: Some of you are suggesting the BSOD has something to do with HDMI out. Just for reference, I'm using DVI to VGA and DP to VGA, no HDMI at all, and it BSODs on boot.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I'm thinking you may not have enough power for your CFX setup. My setup should be very close to your system 2x 5850 OC'ed ~ = to 2x 6950 and I do not have BSOD issues with AMD drivers with 11.5 drivers but have not installed the 11.6 drivers yet.

But my PSU is ~ 200 watts higher than yours and I OC'ed my cpu just like yours.

3. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Unless if the previous drivers were working fine, then it's probably not related to PSU at all.

4. Brandon_34

Brandon_34 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 690GTX
    disable ulps

5. guy_uoft

guy_uoft Active Member

I know for a fact it's not the PSU. A quality 650W is plenty for 5870 crossfire, and I've been using drivers(11.1, 11.2, 11.4, 11.5b) prior to 11.6 with absolutely no crashes.

Disabling ULPS helps? I guess I can try that. Do you know why ULPS causes BSOD and why only in this set of drivers?

6. sprower

sprower Master Guru

GPU:
    TriFire5770 9800GT Physx
    @OP the common factor is 11.6 drivers. Wait for hotfix. Solved. :)

Also.. if you're not overclocking gpu's disabling ulps wont do much but increase power usage.

7. Brandon_34

Brandon_34 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 690GTX
    ulps shuts down 2nd gpu while in windows so maybe it might be a driver bug?

8. zoudo

zoudo Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 580 DCUII
    Me too, BSOD with page fault in nonpage area, must perform win repair to get windows running again :bang:

9. mbd2884

mbd2884 Banned

GPU:
    Mobility HD5870
    I don't even want to know what ridiculous registry cleaning and driver cleaning and driver sweeper crap you all were doing to get BSODs.

10. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I don't even want to know what kind of e-peen you're trying to achieve that made you replying in this thread at all.
    Trying to be helpful or GTFO.

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

None. Just because you aren't getting a BSOD doesn't mean there isn't an issue. The situation could easily be reversed.

The BSOD issue is only with 11.6 and the 8.860 beta, all other drivers are fine. Catalyst 11.6 uses the same Direct2D and Direct3D driver that some of us (including myself) had issues with in 8.860. Both of these drivers are newer than 11.5b and previous drivers.

Since there are many people who have experienced the same thing, it does suggest a driver error.

Regardless of anything else, a driver that requires any more work than simply running the new installer is going to be big issues for the general public. This is especially true since they have added the update feature!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2011
  12. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    And I don't think it's a coincidence that both are also the driver sets that eliminates the mouse lag.
    It's like the DCOM error, which showed up right after the 99% GPU bug is resolved.

The thing is that both my desktop 5770 and 5650 Mobility doesn't get any BSODs at all from these two sets.
    Maybe mainstream and mid-end parts are affected less than the higher-end ones?

13. HairyUK

HairyUK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    I think this guy needs a bit of a time-out to cool down , just been reading through his other posts in another thread.

14. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    BSOD here too, like with the 8.86 beta drivers

I uninstalled my current drivers
    I rebooted
    I installed the 11.6
    I rebooted
    BSOD
    I rebooted in safe mode, I removed the display driver (and its files) via the device manager
    I rebooted (normal mode), windows installs the standard vga driver
    I uninstall the 11.6 remnants (CCC, catalyst install manager) via the "add/remove programs" menu
    I reboot
    I install the latest drivers that work for me: 11.5b hotfix, from may 25th

15. Joe

Joe Active Member

GPU:
    Galax GTX 970 @ 1400/3900
    I received BSOD for the first time since getting my 5770 while trying to install over the top of 11.5B RC5, Never been an issue before installing over the top.

I haven't tried uninstall + Clean install 11.6, took awhile to repair last time so will try again tomorrow.

Windows 7 64bit
    AThlon II x4 645
    Ati 5770 1gb
    CMGX550 psu

atikmdag bsod. the only change i've done to my computer was earlier today doing 15windows updates, but i can't see the new ati drivers conflicting with something downloaded via windows update.

if it happens again tomorrow will report back.

16. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You sir are obviously a Troll , and not helping at all , instead you have been insulting people and name calling on the 11.6 tread and this one also , GTFO.

This is you on the 11.6 driver tread:

post # 43
    As always, another user who is inept at installing drivers and then blaming AMD. ROFL.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=346152&page=2

post # 131
    ROFLMAO, good one. AMD drivers borked your raid array, ROFL ROFL ROFL. FYI laughing at you, not AMD.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=346152&page=6

Post # 132
    The 1.11 is just AMD's downloader and the 80mb only includes the drivers and CCC not the media pack. That's why it's called individual download. Good grief, brain ran away?

post # 135
    Are you retarded? That's the same package as the downloader downloads

Mods will take care of that for you ;).

17. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Ok back on topic , I tried to install this driver new 11.6 whql and i also had a BSOD , then the system went black screen completely , reboot it and could not get into windows 7. I did a system restore but the BSOD had corrupted My windows 7 x64bit runing 2x750GB WD Blacks Raid0. Theres got to be something with this drivers , its not just one or two , theres a lot of us with the same thing and symptoms.

System Specifications:
    Asus R3E x58
    i7 950 @ 4.3HToff stable 100% on water.
    3x2GB Super Talent ProjectX running at 1643Mhz 6-7-6-18 1T 100% Stable
    HD6950 Unlocked 1536 @ 1025/1500Mhz on water 100% stable.
    Auzentech Forte 7.1 Sound Card
    Silvertsone OP 1000w
    OS windows 7 x64bit sp1 with all the latest updates.
    Proscan 47'' HDTV LCD via HDMI + Samsung 24'' LCD Monitor via DVI

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  18. zoudo

zoudo Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 580 DCUII
    Thanks chispy, hope mods will cool him down

19. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Okay, this is just a hunch, but do you guys using 6950 have all unlocked your cards?
    Yes, I do realize the OP is a 5xxx user, but I'm just wondering.
    It seems like if it's not 6950 cards, it's CFX configs.
    Of course, Joe's case an exception, but I personally don't have BSODs whatsoever on my 5770, so...dunno.

20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I clean install won't help :) I tried both ways myself and had the issue. I even double checked the files in the command prompt of the Windows 7 install disk recovery section, and they were all updated and installed correctly.

Either way, you should be able to install over the old driver these days. The update feature built into catalyst now would mean if it isn't, a crapload of people willl end up with a borked system and have no knowledge on how to fix it!