NVIDIA Financial Results for First Quarter Fiscal 2024, Gaming Down 38% YoY

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 25, 2023.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    On other hand, buying a gaming GPU at the price of a 2nd hand car, is not a priority on the actual context...
    Even more when outsider is near 1/2 of the price (despite still too expensive too) for near equivalent.
    AND the bad reputation it get with the mining hype (lot of clients of the shop i extra work don't want NVidia whatever it is a better GPU)...
    H. Ford have said something about what result doesn't show... ;)

3. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    I was thinking the same:

RTX 4090: https://www.compari.ro/CategorySearch.php?st=rtx+4090 - That's roughly €2000
    25 pages of cars under €2000: https://www.olx.ro/auto-masini-moto...rrency=EUR&search[filter_float_price:to]=2000
    (And yes, I know all these cars are old and beaten up, but most of them still work and will take you to work day in and day out)

Prices for electronics are beyond ridiculous today.

Keitosha, fantaskarsef and Sylencer like this.
  4. Pryme

Pryme Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800 SWFT
    Back in the day, on the university, I bought my beaten up car + laptop for 1800€. It was a price of a very expensive laptop, like Macbooks. Today the car and laptop still works (little problems of course). I'm the kind of consumer that brands hate, I mantain my things until they desintegrate.

GPUs prices went out of control. Is still possible to build a nice computer for a good price, not top of the line but very competent still, some components went down in price in the last months. But then we have the GPU part to consider and this is a headache. Second hand marked is quite nice with Ampere and RDNA2 nowadays, but is understandable that not everyone wants a used card.

I have friends that are downgrading the GPU class nowadays, back in the day (Kepler, Maxwell, Pascal) they were buying xx80 class cards, and today they are going for xx70 or xx60. Lets be real, wages are not going up at the rate of cost of living, only giving the solution for many to buy lower tier cards. An RTX 4080 is almost 2 minimum wages in my country (yeah crap economy, thats life).

reix2x and wavetrex like this.

5. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Yeah, just look what the shyt did in its contribution to global warming.

6. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Gaming revenue jumped 22% from last quarter, so 4070/4070ti must not be rotting on shelves like some people might think LOL

GoldenTiger likes this.
  7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Nvidia's results spark nearly $300 billion rally in AI stocks

(Reuters) -Stocks related to artificial intelligence surged in extended trade on Wednesday, adding almost $300 billion in market capitalization after chipmaker Nvidia Corp forecast strong revenue growth and said it was boosting production of its AI chips to meet surging demand.

Nvidia's stock zoomed as much as 28% after the bell to trade at $391.50, its highest level ever. That increased its stock market value by about $200 billion to over $960 billion, extending the Silicon Valley company's lead as the world's most valuable chipmaker and Wall Street's fifth-most valuable company.

pharma and Airbud like this.
  8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    You dont really know for sure as there were still 30 series inventory being cleared out in first quarter 2023.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Lol idk man.. far more likely that it was the 4070 then Nvidia randomly deciding to push a bunch of old inventory after multiple quarters of not doing that.

GoldenTiger and Krizby like this.
  10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The 4070 was not even released in 1st quarter. It came out in April. There was still some 30 series inventory being cleared out in 1st quarter and I'll bet they far exceeded 4070ti sales.

Airbud and Solfaur like this.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Nvidia board*

"Raise prices where dying here"

XP-200 and Maddness like this.
  12. Pryme

Pryme Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800 SWFT
    Gaming is just a subdivision losing is momentum, still relevant, but loosing power to the AI segment, as we see today for the financial results. Nvidia is no longer a Gaming company, is a AI company, this is the new gold rush.

Airbud and alanm like this.
  13. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    Yea, that is Big!
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nasd...s-soar-stock-market-news-today-115101195.html

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    April is included in Nvidia's first quarter.. it's literally the first sentence of the article and post.

While I'm sure there was inventory still being cleared out, it's not like there was some sudden influx of inventory that wasn't there the two prior quarters. During the financial call they specifically stated the 4070 launch as a main contributing factor for the gaming revenue increase.

So unless you have some other source, pretty sure 4070 is the reason it went up quarter over quarter.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    That is confusing. Quarters are generally assumed to line up from the start of the year (Jan-March = 1st quarter). But apparently there are weird exceptions.:
    Are Quarters Always Lined Up to the Calendar Year?
    Quarters do not always line up with the calendar year. For instance, if a company chooses to have its fiscal year starting in February rather than January, then its first quarter would consist of February, March, and April. Companies sometimes choose to do this if they want their fiscal year to end in their own peak season. Alternatively, since finishing the year often involves a lot of additional accounting work, some companies choose to end their fiscal year on a relatively calm month.
    https://www.investopedia.com/terms/q/quarter.asp

Still would be presumptuous that the 4070 (released on Apr 12) in 18 days of sales would make much of a difference to significantly bump up Nvidias quarterly revenue. If you look at neweggs top selling cards, the 4090 is generating more revenue than the 4070/Ti

Re 30 series, the RTX 3060 still in abundance at Newegg from multiple brands/vendors to this day.

16. Pryme

Pryme Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800 SWFT
    That is more normal than we think, in fact I know more companies that use the month delay than starting in January. I worked very closely to the accounting department for some time, and they usually close the books at January and not December. The reason was that closing the fiscal year demands a lot of work, adding that in December more people have holidays and reduce their work time and availability. Usually it was late January that the accounting department was a total train wreck.

17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Well, who needs gamers when you have AI...

18. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It's more due to 3060 and 3070 huge bargain they have done to clean old stock and make space for the new GPU.
    Everything from 4070 and up is exotic sell (exept for us lol), you need volume if you want a jump, and so little price.
    Also we have kept a 3090 around a year on shelves... too expensive.

19. Catspaw

Catspaw Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080/8GB
    4 cents a share of dividens, close to 400 dollars per share.

You lose more on inflation alone.

20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Can you please elaborate?