Microsoft taunts with Full-Screen Windows 11 Upgrade Pop-Ups for Windows 10 Users Amid End of Support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 17, 2023.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    At least something may come out of having an old PC: you don't get bugged with unwanted upgrade advertisement.

386SX, Embra, HitokiriX and 3 others like this.
  3. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Have had these pop up on me over the past couple of months, easy decline.

4. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    I haven't had any. I leave my computer on 24/7 tho.
    Microsoft... Everyone upgrade your operating system again.. We are making it easier to steal your info and spy on you..

Ormy and geogan like this.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I get the data collection and selling of it as bad but what do you do thats so bad that you dont want people spying on you? And what makes you think you are so important that people would spy on you?

6. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    I'm not that worried about it myself, it just the fact they could do it if they wanted to.

Last edited: May 17, 2023
  7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I have yet to see this popup.

8. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I have a PC that's more than capable of running W11 but i turned off that Trusted Platform Module(TPM) version 2.0. in the bios so now it believes my PC isn't W11 ready. So i don't get those annoying prompts.

9. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Boxing gloves on.
    That's a winner.
    Doing it now. :)

TheDeeGee likes this.
  10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Being special or not is not the issue here. The right to privacy is.

Privacy is a right.
    It doesn't matter what one does or doesn't, it doesn't entitles ANY corporation or government body to access your data.
    "What you have to hide" is the twisted semantic confusion brainwashing everyone.
    What you have to protect is the correct sentence and statement. Privacy.
    And "No" is a full sentence in itself.

386SX, geogan, Keitosha and 2 others like this.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that ok none of my systems "support" it so unless the remove requirements from there own isntalls it wont happen. even then I dont want W11 maybe if they undo some choices with ui/ startmenu/bar i will think about it

12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Maybe that's why i'm not getting them either, disabled TPM as well because i'll decide when to upgrade thank you very much.

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I decided to switch back to 11 for the lulz to see if everything is still busted (I particularly want Auto HDR, but it's still useless/broken for me), and I found this nifty little tool that fixes (almost) every issue I have with Win 11 - https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher/releases

Just right click on the task bar and go to properties for its menu which has all the options you'd want neatly laid out in categories. My only issue is that pin to start isn't working for my Win 10 style start menu, I'm guessing it's pinning to Win 11's. I haven't looked through all the settings yet, maybe there's a work-around.

Edit: It has a work-around in its own menu, it opens a special explorer window and you must pin through that, but I find it super buggy, better than nothing for now.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
  14. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Smart .....

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Me with the heavily tweaked LTSC with TPM disabled and a grand total of 0 ads in the OS ... :cool: :rolleyes: :D

anticupidon likes this.
  17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I know a lot of people are going to roll their eyes at it this, but: If that many of you have a beef with MS and their BS, why not give a Linux distro a try now that game support is so much better?

I have Manjaro installed on a separate drive and if I really needed to I could switch to that, the only real dealbreaker when it comes to using Linux right now (to me) is the lack of proper HDR support.

HandR likes this.
  18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    My pc is coming up for 10 years old and my mobo does not have one of those TPM modules, so that would explain why i have never neen this. Hs

19. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Sure Microsoft, as soon as you give me my Windows 10 style taskbar back. Whoever thought to force a huge taskbar and remove the option to ungroup tabs and not show text should have been fired.

20. LostCanadian

LostCanadian Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX Vega 56 (x2)
    I have a 38" widescreen monitor, and a vertical taskbar is much more useful to me. I also have enough screen real estate that I don't need my taskbar items to be grouped. Windows 11 looks slightly more polished, but is still missing some of these key features from Windows 10 which is ridiculous. The TPM module support is, frankly, an unfair requirement, but in any case, Win11 is a downgrade in productivity compared to Win10.

Of course it's a moot point since my i7-6850K HEDT build will presumably never be supported by Windows 11. I use my computer mainly for work and video editing, and it's more than fast enough for everything I need it for...so why break what's not broken? Microsoft will be responsible for a huge amount of e-waste when they stop supporting Windows 10 in 2025.