Framework Laptop Unveils Two New Models 13th Core and AMD Ryzen 7040 Series

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 24, 2023.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    mbk1969 and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Nice to see their portfolio getting more wide. Hope that they also improve on manufacturing line and production. Availability is scarce and preordering is not everyone's cup of tea.

3. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Never heard of it, but sounds like an interesting option!

4. Ahmad Bilal

Ahmad Bilal Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon
    Interesting, but still sketchy option. I checked out their website, for Ryzen laptop.. both pre-config and DIY versions. It basically just tells you that you are getting

- A Ryzen 7 (which ryzen 7.. it doesn't say) ..
    - No dedicated GPU,
    - Battery below 70Wh
    - yet still costs 2000$ plus!!!

Yeah right.. as if I would buy it.

Why_Me likes this.

5. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    The screen is actually quite high-quality. You have to dig in a little deeper to get all the info.

6. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    of course HP, Dell, or other brands are going to be cheaper for the same specs, if you just need a laptop for one year and you will change it then this is not the computer for you, repairability is something expensive, i'm really looking for the AMD version of this laptop. They are a small company so you have to pay for that. We should care less about price and more about value, imo

doorspaulo likes this.
  7. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    where are you getting 2 grand from? when I checked it out it was around ~1200 with rysen 5,no os, 32gb of ram +1tb ssd + ports ect. , with a ryzen 7 its still under 1600 (usd)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
  8. Hertzian56

Hertzian56 Guest

GPU:
    rtx 2060 6gb
    It's not for heavy gaming, only has an igpu and is like 13" screen. The big selling point is it's easy to take apart and has modular i/o ports available. The i/o stuff seems gimmicky, most laptops have sufficient ports and there are splitters/hubs/adaptors out there for not much cost. I had hoped the gpu and cpu would not be on the same board so you could swap them out independent of each other but not the case. Eh old precision and hp elitebooks were amazing.

9. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3

The I/o stuff is quite attractive if you actually plan to keep the laptop for an extended period, no worry about having a bunch of ports you never use (my usb 2 ports sit empty 90% of the time)

Also I think the 16 inch version they plan to release later this year has a swappable GPU.

10. Hertzian56

Hertzian56 Guest

GPU:
    rtx 2060 6gb

Eh unless it's built like the tanks of old, precisions and elitebooks, it's not likely to last more than the average laptop say 3-5 years, so ports seem moot there. I've got an m4600 precision that has a few ports I don't ever use but that's over 10 years old now and is a tank. You're more likely to damage it more with modular ports imo. Strongly doubt modular gpu's are ever going to come about, unless MXM was still out there being used by the big guys, which it isn't. These seem more about the ports and overall tear apart ease, mobo is typical bga stuff.