ACER adds two New Full HD 100Hz Liquid Crystal Displays at a low price

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 22, 2023.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    mbk1969 and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    D-Sub :confused:

I know these are meant for corporate slave cubicles, but damn ... 1987 wants its connector back !

user1 likes this.
  3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    "Acer... low price". Theres your red flags.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The given price isn't even cheap... you can get 1080p monitors with 120Hz for that money already... fake news, or what did I miss?
    Just looks like they want to get rid of a stockpile of bad 120Hz panels for cheap.

5. Calenhad

Calenhad Active Member

GPU:
    MSi 3080ti Suprim X
    Why are we spelling out LCD suddenly? Press release wasn't long enough?

I believe you are off by more than a decade, since DVI was released in 1999. :p

These are meh monitors. But hopefully they are good enough quality to replace some 60Hz monitors in offices.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I saw thes monitors and though if price is right ok, price not right there even VA the fact they even make monitors with DVI anymore is amazing? GPU dont really have them anymore and neither do MB last i checked? most monitor made in last decade? dont really have them either? it should be DP and Hdmi now

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    As of late, in many people's minds, "LCD = bad." So lets call it "liquid crystal display" because that sounds really new and high tech.

Likewise, "1080 = bad," so let's call it "Full HD." Because you can't get better than "full." I mean, it's "full" already. Maximum. Better than that is just not possible.

rflair likes this.
  8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I have also seen press release where they call LCD liquid crystal display and 1080p "full HD" go back as far as i can remember, bit it just play on them both

and LCD are BAD they are crap and always have been. there just flat and light CRT tech was better, maybe not in color and size and wieght but everything place else that it matter is was. but that is another topic

9. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Well to be fair to them they had to clean up that mess they made with (((hd))) lcd tvs which were 1366x768 native , but were marketed as 1080i.

10. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    I believe you are not realizing that these are not DVI. They are good old VGA D-Sub (DE-15) inputs, introduced in 1987 by IBM PS/2 Video Graphics Array (aka: VGA)

The connector standard is literally 36 years old.

Quick link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Graphics_Array

11. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I'm sure when 8K becomes the norm we will then Obese HD.

RealNC likes this.
  12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    your right I read Dvi too.. VGA I have not seen any GPU have VGA port in even longer let alone MB.

13. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Modern GPUs or Mobos do not have it, indeed... but there are many, many ancient computers still being used today as data entry or typewriters.

Just a few days ago I was at the office of a delivery company, the girl there worked on an ancient Dell with... you guessed it, a VGA port connected to an ancient 19" monitor with 1280x1024 (SXGA) resolution. I was pretty shocked... I had a better monitor @ home in 2010..., but that's the state of computing in a LOT of companies.

Reason ? If it doesn't break and people can still do their work on them, there's absolutely zero financial reason to change the hardware.
    ---

These displays in this article are most likely in-place replacements for broken monitors attached to old, still working office computers.

14. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    You would not believe the number of times I've seen people using vga adapters connected to newish monitors that have other connections.... I think its just that people are familiar with it , so they keep using it.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    for really old monitors and TV that have RGB sure but I never see them anymore.

I have Video cards that had DVI still that I need and no RGB to connect to monitor, current monitor i look at is HDMI and RGB too, but most time just simpler to use hdmi