Intel's Desktop Processor Roadmap 2024 SHows Arrow Lake-S Returning with Intel 800 Series Chipset

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Embra, Aniboom, fantaskarsef and 2 others like this.
  2. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    was pretty sure of this w/ all the recent moves @INTEL .it just makes sense to push on w/ it instead of wasting time on refresh

AuerX likes this.
  3. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    Those 800-series boards better be cheap, cause am5 will be too by the time they launch. Can't see it going well for intel, certainly won't sell the way 12/13 gen did. am5 will be a little cheaper than now, so will x3d cpus. You'll have a chance to start with a 7000x3d on a sub-200 mobo, with an upgrade path to zen5x3d. Won't be as easy for intel to compete with that as it was with overpriced r7000 non-3d on overpriced b650s/670s boards, especially when ddr4 will have been phased out completely by then.

4. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    My 5800X3D should last until the Arrow Lake launch :)

tunejunky likes this.

5. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    new chipset, new socket , new me!

Undying and Venix like this.
  6. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    New bills.

Undying, user1 and Venix like this.
  7. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    New mortgage!

Undying, user1 and tunejunky like this.
  8. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

perhaps.
    but you forget that Intel fabs its own chips (or will for Arrow Lake) which means they can put contract fabbing behind the computing group unlike AMD who usually has to wait for Apple (and temporarily Intel) to finish their fab runs. Intel can and will eat margin to ensure the chipset advantage just like Meteor and Raptor Lake.

nothing in this business is "easy" anymore unlike 10 years ago when Intel was complacent and AMD took advantage. the sleeping giant is wide awake, hungry, and vengeful and is putting their money where it needs to be while keeping more schtum

9. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    New highs of power consumption!

Undying likes this.
  10. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    looking forward to this...should be a great upgrade from my 13900k

11. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    So, no more Meteor Lake desktop cpu's, only mobile platform. Then Arrow Lake is supposedly 20% ipc (how you come to that conclusion is beyond me without hard numbers from Meteor Lake testing) over the cancelled Meteor Lake, with 48 pcie lanes and dedicated motherboard for DDR5. So, in theory Arrow Lake ipc will be 30% over Alder Lake using chiplets that they snickered about when AMD went there. (God who came up with the Lake naming?) Now you are talking a year and a half from now if everything goes as planned. This leaves the door wide open for AMD to bring out something all by itself and not have an Intel cpu to struggle against. [​IMG]

tunejunky likes this.
  12. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

all excellent points but Arrow Lake will be @ the smallest node yet seen which would allow for such possibilities

NewTRUMP Order likes this.
  13. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    I know this is common Intel meme but I've never in my life upgraded CPU and re-used old mobo. My CPU upgrade cycle is about 4-5 years and by that time old mobo is very outdated: old USB ports, old PCIE ports, dated layout, etc. etc. So when I buy shiny new CPU I also upgrade mobo at the same time anyway to get all the latest features, so this 2 year socket support has never been an issue for me personally.

14. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    you're fortunate you don't have the addiction.

15. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Given how little things like PCIE and I/O actually matter for performance, unless all you do is copy files, I think that it's rather silly to argue that point, If you can just buy a new cpu after 4 years, and install it to get the "latest and greatest", many people probably would, rather than buy all components

16. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    True, I guess I never fully completed my thought. I wasn't complaining, I really meant I was having trouble keeping up with the "roadmaps" and the changes. Also, the information out there saying the Ipc will be this and that without either product even produced. I know Intel has to get a handle on the wattage being required to run their cpu's and this skipping to the Arrow Lake will be their best step towards that problem.

tunejunky likes this.
  17. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

..and not to mention to stop being beaten around the head by AMD efficiency

NewTRUMP Order likes this.