The Witcher 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Jun 6, 2016.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    This is something that I would love to understand better -- so, why would some shaders be missed or not part of the "master list" of shaders during start up boot? I would think during development everytime a new shader is added to something in game it should just be thrown onto some master list somewhere then anytime a new driver rolls out or the game is updated and you start the title up the entire thing would be recompiled. But I hear a lot the sentiment that having such a master list is not easy and I wonder why that is (so, why is it hard to tell which shaders will be needed I mean). I believe that it's not easy but I don't follow why exactly it's not if that makes sense.

As for the fast CPU you're absolutely right and in the future I plan to get the beefiest CPU and RAM I can afford (currently I have a 5800X / 16 gigs of 3600 MHz DDR4). CPU/RAM speed matter a lot for gaming in the sense that very good GPU scaling happens if you're willing to turn down settings or use upscalers, but the CPU end of things is more static and I would argue more distracting since you'll have these very high framerates that fly but then they stutter down harshly every now and then in a way that is disruptive to the experience. Consistency in frametimes is more important in my view than "average" framerate and all that. That said, I know in many of Alex's tests from Digital Foundry it's not that stuttering from shaders/streaming was eliminated by having a faster CPU but rather it was "reduced in duration and severity". So, it still occurred and was measurable/noticeable on their 12900K system but the duration of said frametime spike was a bit less pronounced VS their 3600 system. Meanwhile other titles which seem to have more elegant solutions for these kinds of problems don't really have the issue at all so it's something my hope is can be solved systemically/dev side rather than needing to be "brute forced" past with very expensive hardware.

Kamil950, TheDigitalJedi and Carfax like this.
  2. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    It does look amazing in some areas -- the lighting improvements from RT are very noticeable in some scenes. Different game entirely of course, but SVOGI in CryEngine games where they use a voxelized representation of the world to sort of approximate a similar looking effect when it comes to light bounce with the colors of materials being taken into account is very impressive to me in hindsight since it's not as good as raytraced GI obviously but it's also much cheaper and looks great in the game's I've played with it.

TheDigitalJedi and Carfax like this.
  3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Because games these days have literally tens of thousands (or hundreds of thousands) of shader variants. How much time are players willing to tolerate to compile as many shaders as possible during boot up? A few minutes? An hour? While their CPU churns away at 100% and is practically unusable..... :eek: Also, some shaders apparently need to be compiled during runtime due to games becoming more and more dynamic in nature so it's not easy to predict which shaders are going to be needed at any one time.

How developers improve the situation is by making sure that shader compilation during boot up/loading becomes mandatory, and even more importantly, by making sure that the CPU is utilized effectively by the game. The last one is something a lot of developers are having issues with more than anything.

Yes, as CPUs become more powerful, shader compilation stutters will also become less and less noticeable. Raptor Lake was a big step in that direction from my experience. Before I upgraded to my current rig, I had an old 6900K Broadwell-E system and to me, shader compilation was FAR more noticeable. I beat the Witcher 3 on that old system and I remember after changing drivers, the system would need to recompile all the shaders and so compilation stutters would be very noticeable until the compiled shaders were cached. But on my current system with the latest patch which improves CPU utilization, I don't get any shader compilation stutters even after driver updates because the 13900K is just so much faster. And it's not just the CPU, but the rest of the system including my SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB SSD and my 32GB of DDR5 7600 CL34.

PC's typically need to be significantly more powerful than the consoles to achieve a similar performance due to the additional overhead. This is even more true in the current generation of consoles because both the PS5 and XSX have stuff like dedicated hardware decompression so their CPU overhead is automatically much lower than a gaming PC's. To equal that, a PC needs very powerful CPUs and high speed memory and SSDs. We're getting there though. By the time Zen 5 and Arrow Lake come out, those PCs will make the PS5 and XSX look like PS3s and Xbox 360s :D

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    TheDigitalJedi and BlindBison like this.
  4. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Really interesting reading that; I just finished my new build with a 7700X and RTX 3080 and was worried that it won't run the new Witcher DX12/RT update after hearing how badly it's performing on people's top end rig. To my surprise the game runs fantastic at 1440P maxed out with RT and DLSS quality with frames mostly staying above 50 with a few occasions dipping into the 40's. What I did notice (and in CP2077 too) was how smooth the game felt even when frames were dipping into the mid 40's so what you just said made a lot of sense.

In regards to crashes after the update everything would crash for me except for one single (my latest) save file that worked but fully uninstalling and reinstalling the game fixed that up for me.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.

5. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I’m running RT off because it runs like crap. It doesn’t matter if it looks better because it’s unplayable with it on.

6. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Cave Waverider and bobnewels like this.
  7. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    That's because after the update, the game is now using the CPU more effectively and so frame pacing is now leaps and bounds better than before as the GPU isn't having to wait around for data from the CPU to draw a frame. If you had played the game before this latest update, your experience would not have been so positive.

People typically underestimate the impact of the CPU on gaming experience and performance. I think we were spoiled during the PS3/Xbox 360 and PS4/Xbox One eras where the average PC had a CPU that was in many ways, multiple times faster than what was in the consoles. But with the PS5 and XSX, the consoles finally have a worthy CPU plus hardware decompression and so as a result, the CPU is becoming more and more important for performance.

When Arrow Lake and Zen 5 are released, those CPUs will be roughly twice as fast as the ones in the consoles and we'll see the pendulum swing back in favor of the PC.

8. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    So once again, the crashes with FG on are a driver related problem. nVidia acknowledged that in their open issues. That means the game might crash from one moment to another:
    Amazing!

9. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    Have no issues with this new update, game runs like before for me tbh, maybe in Novigradd a tad smoother, but it was smooth before as well for me. No crashes at all, but I am still running on old 528.24 drivers, as I rarely update my drivers, from my experience they do not bring major improvements.

10. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Oh cool, crashes from using Nvidia filters. Guess I’m not updating drivers for a while.

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
  12. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    Must have been added at a later time.

I forgot adding the source, just in case: GeForce GRD 531.29 Feedback Thread ( | NVIDIA GeForce Forums
    That's a good deterrent to stop using them haha!

13. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    That explains a lot. Which drivers are the last ones that are stable? I had the problem with 531.26 hotfix as well, so I'm guessing anything before 531.xx.

Update: I've tried the 528.49 drivers (used DDU in safe mode to clean the 531.29s from the system) and I'm still getting the crashes with frame generation on, sadly.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    That's weird, I'm on 528.49 and played over 40hrs of Witcher 3 using FG without any app crashes (pre-patch of course).

15. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Pre-4.02 patch it ran fine and stable for me as well. But with 4.02 I get crashes when FG is on. The most reliable way to reproduce a crash fastest for me is on Hierarch square, standing behind the yeller on the box with the camera on the book pyre.

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Too bad :/ Hope it gets fixed soon.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  17. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    With all the games using DLSS these days and how bad DLSS sharpening is I find the GFE sharpen filter to be a necessary thing.

18. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    To me Reshade is far superior and versatile, and it doesn't have such a big impact on framerate as the freestyle filters do.

19. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Reshade is just more of a hassle to me. It’s so quick and easy with the freestyle filters. I also haven’t noticed any significant impact on performance with them ever.

20. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    Yeah, it occurs on older drivers as well, a friend just let me know. That's too bad. I got two games I wanted to play, Hogwarts Legacy and this one. The first has its lighting system completely messed up after the latest patch, the latter crashes randomly. 2023 looks prosmising hehehe.

I am having more fun playing Quake 2 rtx right now than anything else. It doesn't crash and it's a lot of fun.

Cave Waverider likes this.