Headphone Amp to powered speakers

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by teots, Mar 12, 2023.

1. teots

teots Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    Suddenly i got a hint of connecting my powered desktop T40 speakers to my soundblaster z card headphone
    out with amp. Sound/audio play improve a big amount compare to the usual 2v line level output.
    What come to my mind is that 2v is very small voltage which can only drive 1m length of line level cable.
    Longer than that, quality and performance will drop. While trying out different length/size of 3.5mm line level
    cables at the headphone out with amp, i found out that even a reduce in size and length from a thick and 2m
    length cable make improvement to sound/audio.

A search on the internet also can find headphone amps that enable connection to both headphone and powered speakers. Anyone has opinions on this and using headphone amp for powered speakers can kindly share it here.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2023
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Electricity is the science about the quality of contacts.
    I would believe in 2m vs 20m difference, but not in 2m vs 4m...

I remember having several cables (of the same length) but only one of them not having some static noises - either due to proper soldering of insulating braid or something else...

3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    2V RMS is RCA Standard, 1V RMS is PC Standard (why I have no idea) and Creative typically adheres to 1V RMS unless specified in specs.

Using the headphone port on the soundcard is amping the output, which is probably making it louder, which humans perceive as "better". Until it clips.

Want a good quality 3.5mm interconnect that isn't expensive? https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-105583-50-Feet-Premium-Stereo/dp/B001T21DU4/ref=sr_1_1

4. teots

teots Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    Since the world we live in is a dream world (world of matrix), don't get trick, 1m is the optimal length for line level if audio/sound equipments only output 2vrms of charges. Anything longer is consider a working length, not an listerning length There are peoples claim to get better result from 0.5m length. If you look at my system setup, there should not have fuse at power plug in order for it to function truly. And i put ferrite magnet to suppress rf/emi.

Power Plugs.jpg

My soundblaster z line level output is 2vrms. What i am doing is like putting a pre-amp before the power amp, it not uncommon, it greatly improve audio/sound performance. You recommendation of 3.5mm interconnect is at the right time. I assume god know i happen to
    be searching for it and already placed order, thank you. :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023

5. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    if you have the time (and 3M "command" clips) running all power lines 10cm parallel then crossing at 90 deg angles will also improve the sound by deepening the sound stage.
    i borrowed a trick from the old hi fi cabinets and made a false back out of spray painted masonite where i made the wiring harness on the back. but that is for a DAW which is why i recommend the damage free wall clips from 3M as you'd be done in a fraction of the time

teots likes this.
  6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    This is rubbish.

As is this.

7. teots

teots Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    Won't expect everyone to believe beside those who knows.:)

8. Trunks0

Trunks0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    PC RedDevil 7900XTX
    Unless your hearing a noticeable problem, it's not a problem. Same with ferrite beads. Unless you are hearing some hiss or problems with the audio before putting them on, they aren't magically making the audio better by just being there.

But I'd have to assume you had a problem, that's why you did it and why your considering cable lengths. Because v1, or v2, 3.5mm can work at lengths WAY beyond 1-2m and not have an issue.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The problem you have is, I do know.
    State your proof.

10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    @teots
    SB Z spec:
    Front Channel Out: 2Vrms
    Headphone (33 ohms): 1.3Vrms
    Headphone (600 ohms): 2Vrms

So you have a sliding voltage output based on external resistance, but the amperage is low:

300ohm headphone out: 22 mW, at 33ohm : 46 mW

Also, thicker cabling lowers resistance and allows for a longer run on analog interconnects. This whole 2v RMS with 1m (3ft) limit is unfounded. This is why you can run speaker wire at longer distance if you use a thick enough cable.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    There is no need in "believe" in world of audio. You can record same audio cut using different cables and then you can compare records. If you claim there is difference then you will see difference in comparison.

PS And there is blind test approach...

12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    If you know the resistance in Ohms per meter of the cable, you just calculate the voltage drop over whatever the length of the cable is. Read up on "Ohm's Law." It's not that complicated.

tunejunky likes this.
  13. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

true, but you forgot capacitance and resistance.
    and btw... capacitors and resistors are used to make an (analog) eq

14. teots

teots Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    Nice chatting about my own discovery and thanks for all your inputs.

15. teots

teots Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2023

16. teots

teots Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    Ok folks,my new cables finally arrive today. A monster mobile audio 3.5mm 1.2m and the other
    is Monoprice 22awg 3.5mm 1m cables recommended by @Chastity (Thanks :)).
    The third one which i already had is Qed connect 3.5mm 1.5m cable. This 3 cables are mild sounding when using line level out on my creative soundblaster z and T40. It's only good for music listering at best with the 1m length cable. When i plugged them into my soundblaster z headphone amp. My speaker come to live with high playback capability. The best game/music playback result is still the monoprice 1m cable. High playback capability, faithful reproduction
    with nice and accurate tone and vocal even at 30 feets away from my speakers. My audio/sound setup is finalize. :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    Trunks0 and tunejunky like this.
  17. Trunks0

Trunks0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    PC RedDevil 7900XTX
    Nice, glad you hit a configuration that you like the sound of. As honestly we can all go back and forth on the technically details, but if this doesn't break anything and you like it how sounds your kinda good to roll.

teots and tunejunky like this.
  18. teots

teots Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    A bit of discovery when looking at my soundblaster z control panel. Image 1 show that
    show headphone when speakers were plugged in. Image 2 show the playback device
    as speaker with adjustable volume. Therefore my soundblaster z does support headphone amp to
    powered speakers, of course not all soundcard/on board sound chip are able to.

Screenshot (1).png Screenshot (2).png

tunejunky likes this.
  19. teots

teots Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    Update: my first audio music play session with such setup. Format is 16.bit 44.1khz wav,
    the artist is Cai Xin Juan. :)

Screenshot (3).png

mikeysg and tunejunky like this.
  20. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    really the sound blaster z doesn't have an output of 2vrm for speakers? lmao that's probably the worose creative card ever, even integrated audio cards deliver 2vrms on speakers. And my older titanium (non-hd) does it too.