AMD PCI Express (3GIO) Filter and PCI Bus Driver requires manually updating.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Watcher, Jan 13, 2013.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    That`s because your rig has older version of driver in (so called) driver store. It does not mean this driver is in use.

You can see that in Driver Store Explorer - https://github.com/lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer

2. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    I know that I can have many amdkmpfd drivers. I can even install 22.40.0.2 manually. We just wonder why this doesn't happen on some systems automatically by Adrenalin driver but via Windows Update.

Adrenalin copies the new driver into C:\Windows\System32\AMD\amdkmpfd with weird file extensions but it's not enumerated by DriverStoreExplorer (neither the Device Manager shows it). That's why I assume that it's not active (the new one) and it's just copied there.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
  3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I was answering only about Windows Update - it sees older version of driver in driver store, downloads newer version and places it in driver store (no matter whether driver is in use or not).

4. Cp0

Cp0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Liquid Dev 7900 XTX
    If thats the case it also installs it in my case when it does not if Windows Driver Update is disabled, makes me wonder if its intended to be installed perhaps its only needed for non AMD systems.

Speaking of this PCI bus driver when its not installed with Windows Driver Updates disabled my wattman reset fastboot bugs go away, if not had this issue since i learned about it not installing if Windows Driver Updates is disabled, however it does install if i right click pci bus rootcomplex device driver and search for updates, anyway its obvious the pci bus driver causes a fast boot bug that causes wattman to reset.

Speaking of which when its on its default driver i have 20 more fps in Horizon Zero Dawn with resizeable bar enabled at 3840x1600

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Fast Startup in 2023 is utterly pointless in this age of SSD's and NVMe drives. Disable it pronto, as it only creates problems.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    ocsystem likes this.
  6. Cp0

Cp0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Liquid Dev 7900 XTX
    Ignoring this however if a driver is broken it will break fast boot and when that happens wattman resets, i think the important fact is that this issue go's away with Windows Driver Updates disabled and DDU being used to remove that driver, so maybe it should not even be installed.

Djilkosh_Ns likes this.
  7. Fast Start or Boot?

Afaik Fast Boot lets POST skip some tests to start faster and is generally safe. Fast Start is Windows-specific and can expose firmware oddities?

I've never had Wattman reset with Fast Boot enabled in BIOS, outside of unstable OCs or the bug with current W11 insider dev builds. Fast Start I disable instantly on fresh Windows installs and have no experience with it and Wattman :p

8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I meant Fast Startup in WIndows :)

Deleted member 282649 likes this.
  9. Djilkosh_Ns

Djilkosh_Ns Guest

GPU:
    Rx 6600 8gb
    So what's the catch?

Disabling WDU and when using DDU don't touch amdkmpf option? Or?

Edit 2: I reinstalled whole chipset and graphics drivers, with amdkmpf to delete. Tried to find into amd packages of drivers amdkmpf but there is nothing, probably AMD doesnt include that anymore with drivers, so... Instaling amdkmpf manually or leaving as is? Searched into windows/drivers no amdkmfp file...

Edit 3: I dont have PCI bus in device manager. Disabling/Enabling SAM in BIOS doesnt do anything?

Only have PCI Express Root Complex which is outdated driver from 2006

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
  10. Spider-Vice

Spider-Vice Active Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8G
    As I mentioned before, I think the conclusion here seems to be that driver just isn't needed anymore. My system is no longer using it with latest drivers, and everything removed from the DriverStore, and everything works fine - WattMan, games, etc.

pegasus1 likes this.

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I am not using AMD drivers for PCI Bus, but instead using the PCI Root Complex stub from MS. I get more stable performance this way than having AMD installed for it, as the GPU driver has it too. Too many chefs syndrome.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    AMD has no business installing this filter, and as testified by various users, it breaks resume from sleep.

13. mrc00l88

mrc00l88 Guest

GPU:
    2x r9 390
    Any newer driver out than 22.40.0.0002?

Thank you!

14. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Nope, just use the MS stub driver and use the component driver from GPU package.

15. mrc00l88

mrc00l88 Guest

GPU:
    2x r9 390
    Appreciate the reply. Actually the Microsoft PCI Bus driver was causing my PC to shut down.. going thru the Minidump logs, google researching the error files and such is how I came across this site, and ultimately found this thread.

Whomever it may concern, please upload a new driver when available :)

Cheers

Djilkosh_Ns and THEBOSS619 like this.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yeah, no.

Find the actual hardware issue with your computer.

17. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Do you use an AMD GPU? And which driver are you using for AMD GPU?

18. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    Yes - 23.10.0.0001

DriverVer=03/09/2023, 23.10.0.0001

I reuse the.bat file from another old zip from Macer (I hope he doesn't mind). It's necessary in case Windows reverts the old version of the driver after reboot.

I still don't see any benefits of the newer versions on my system.

Last edited: May 6, 2023
    Cryio, DanielMue and Lbuipo like this.
  19. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    For some reason .bat files doesn't work on new Preview windows version, any idea why?

martinn likes this.
  20. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    The first time I ran the script I got some errors. But later after the UWP video driver installation when I ran the script again - there were no errors.

I think the script tries to do something with the Windows driver store and the first time it doesn't find the driver there.

Anyway, the driver can be installed just by choosing "install" from the right-click menu on the .inf file.