AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 23.3.1 WHQL download

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 7, 2023.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Fixed Issues
    • Metrics overlay may intermittently re-size to 50% after gameplay.

Jesus... finally !
    That overlay is very useful not just to show information about the GPU/CPU while the game is on full-screen, but it's also doing something else... framerate limiting for triple-buffered rendering. Not sure why it's doing that, but it's wonderful to keep power in check by not rendering more frames that the display can show. It's like Vsync, but without the waiting.
    In any case, some games are smoother with that overlay on. Or maybe I'm just crazy...

3. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Maybe...but why wouldn't you simply use Frame Rate Target Control and/or Radeon Chill? o_O With those two, you don't have extra things on the screen, when you don't need it.

4. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Unfortunately both cause lag and stutter (in some games more than others).
    - Chill reduces framerate too much and sometimes even when in action, it simply doesn't detect movement correctly.
    - FRTC is introducing lag, which at 120 fps I can definitely feel it.

I also tried vsync or that Radeon Enhanced Sync, and while Vsync works well when game is old and is able to maintain those 120 fps all the time, when it's not able it jumps between 60 and 120 which is very distracting (microstutter).
    Enhanced Sync works very similar to keeping that overlay on (which I guess it's what it actually happens), with the different that it seems to work better in some of my games with more smooth gameplay.

Again, I don't really understand what's happening, just sharing my experience.

Also... I like seeing the gpu temp, power and clocks in various scenes. The overlay is set to translucent 60%, I have to really look at it to actually notice it in gameplay.