RTX 4080 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Serotonin, Dec 5, 2022.

1. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    sorry what cable?

2. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    Yes, using the standard adapters that connect to your existing gpu cables, they are just extenders. These can be use with any psu. Actually just added a 3rd this week to a 4070Ti. psu being used are Superflower (2) 1300w, and 850w.

3. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    Returns for moddiy:

Products sold by modDIY are covered under our 7-day customer satisfaction policy and a limited 30-day DOA (dead-on-arrival) policy, from the original invoice date, and is subject to the following terms and conditions:

ALL merchandise require an RMA number (Return Merchandise Authorization) issued by modDIY for returns. RMA numbers are valid for 7-days with a small leeway for shipping times. Merchandise returned to us without a valid RMA number will be refused and shipped back to the customer at the customer's expense. Please allow 5 to 10 business days for testing and refunds to be processed.

Returned merchandise must NOT be physically damaged, including damage due to improper installation or overclocking. This includes any physical alteration to the product, modifications not approved by the manufacturer, bent pins, etc. No returns, refunds or exchanges for any special order products, Notebooks, PDAs, Televisions, Retail Box Software, OEM Software, Computer Games, Video Games, DVDs, CDs, or any products marked as "no returns" or carries a similar description on the products' page. All products are eligible for original manufacturer's warranties. Please contact the manufacturer directly. All fees, including "shipping and handling", insurance coverage fees, and "Rapid Replacement" fees are non-refundable.

Unopened merchandise (not including special orders or merchandise labeled "No Returns" or similar language) can be returned within 7 days for a full refund less shipping, insurance and handling charges.

Opened merchandise WITHOUT original packaging or materials is not eligible for return. Opened merchandise WITH original packaging and materials may be eligible for return within our 7-day satisfaction policy and will be subject to a 15% restocking fee. Returns MUST include all original parts and packing materials and a modDIY RMA number, or the return will be rejected. modDIY reserves the right to refuse any returns or refunds for merchandise. DOA

To return a package, please ship it to our address via a reputable carrier capable of providing proof of delivery.

The customer is solely responsible for shipping any returned product to modDIY including any shipping charges. Customer agrees to use only reputable carries capable of providing proof of delivery and insurance for the entire value of the shipment. Customer agrees to bear all shipping charges and all risk of loss for the return product during shipment. Customer agrees that all returned products will be 100% complete, in resellable condition, and will include the original packaging material, manuals, blank warranty cards, and other accessories provided by the manufacturer. If any component of the returned product is missing, return procedure will be breached and we will reject the entire return or may choose to impose additional charges against the customer for replacement of the missing component(s). We will not refund to the customer the original shipping charges.

All product warranty coverage after 30-days will be handled directly by the product manufacturer. modDIY reserves the right to refuse any returns or refunds for merchandise.

Updated on: 22/01/2019

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    darrenj likes this.

5. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
  6. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    I sold it unopened and unused with my EVGA 850W GM (SFF) and bought a BeQuiet Pure Power 12 1000W, ATX.30 supported. MoDIY return to Hong Kong would have cost more than the cable

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Undervolting experiences...

Seen others do better, but it is what it is. At stock boost clocks (2805mhz) .960mv, power limit 75%, CPU stock clocks -0.05v offset
    board power draw: 243w max

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/91257618

GPUz
    PL75, UV960mv.jpg

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    So... Guru3D review the Palit RTX 4080 GamingPro here: Palit GeForce RTX 4080 GamingPRO OC review - Introduction (guru3d.com) which I found out only requires 2x 8-pin connectors to the 16-pin connector that comes with the card rather than the 3x 8-pin conecctors of the other cards (and, strangely not mentioned in this review). Only problem is where can you buy this here in the UK. Scan, EBuyer, Amazon only have the GameRock version which uses 3x 8-pin connectors. I already own the Palit RTX 3080 GamingPro and love the look of the card so that 4080 seems like a decent buy. I don't like the crystal look of the GameRock variant.

So has anyone actually bought one of these or know where they can be purchased? Thanks.

*EDIT*
    Why do the all the other 4080 cards require 3x 8-pin connectors anyway? The PCI-e slot provides 75 W plus 2 x 150 W from the two 8-pin connectors equals 375 W which is more than the 320 W required for this card. Even with a 10% power overclock it would only be 352 W.

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks but I've just ordered an extra PCI-e 2+6-pin cable direct from Corsair. My Corsair RMe 850W Gold-rated PSU only came with 2x 2+6-pin connectors, which is fine for the RTX 3080, but it supports 3x PCI-e connectors according to the website. Only cost £3.99 plus shipping.

Still would have preferred the Palit RTX 4080 GamingPro or GamingPro OC but I cannot find any one selling either here in the UK. At least the addtional PCI-e cable will give me more options. I may watch a few months though to see if the price of the 4080 drops before committing.

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    So are there any other models of the 4080 that use 2x 8-pin PCI-e cables rather than 3x 8-pin to 16-pin adaptors other than the Palit RTX 4080 GamingPro model reviewed by Guru3D (and who didn't mention this curious fact in the review)?

I have already ordered the third PCI-e cable anyway for my Corsair RMe 850W PSU and it arrives tomorrow but would prefer a card that only uses 2x cables if possible just for the convenience of being able to swap it with the RTX 3080 I have now which is using 2x 2+6-pin connectors.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    DarrenH, tbh I dont think any 4080s with 2 x 8-pin to 16-pins exist as I think Nvidia is likely to enforce strict guidelines to their AIBs on that. They always have to make room for some whacko enthusiast who might OC/OV his card to 400w +.

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The Palit RTX 4080 GamingPro uses a 2x 8-pin to 16-pin connector (see here: ::palit Products - GeForce RTX™ 4080 GamingPro OC :: - select Specifications and scroll down), which makes sense because that provides 375 W in total, which exceeds the 320 W requirement for this card even with a 10% power boost (352W). This is why it puzzles me why the card requires 3x 8-pin PCI-e leads as that is 525 W, which is way more than what this card requires.

I have a Palit RTX 3080 GamingPro and love the design of it so I'd love to buy the 4080 version of that card but here in the UK no-one is selling it, only the Palit RTX 4080 GameRock variant, which has a hideous rock-crystal design and uses 3x 8-pins.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I have a Corsair RMe 850W PSU. It is listed on the Corsair website as being a Type 4 cable PSU.

Will this cable work with my PSU: https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/600W-PCIe-5-0-12VHPWR-Type-4-PSU-Power-Cable/p/CP-8920284

It is a 2x PCI-e to 16-pin cable that means it can be connected directly from the PSU to any 4000 series NVIDIA card that uses the new 16-pin connector. What confuses me is that it states 600 W on 16-pin connector in the image but, of course, it would only be drawing 300 W from the PSU (plus an additional 75 W from the PCI-e slot).

Trying to work out what is the best way to connect a 4080 GPU to my PSU. That cable looks like the tidiest option but I will be getting a third PCI-e connector from Corsair today and my PSU supports 3x PCI-e so I can use the 3-way 16-pin adapter as well.

I am torn between buying the Palit RTX 4080 GameRock OC since it is the cheapest 4080 available on Amazon or waiting to see if there is a price cut in a few months along with the chance to buy the Palit RTX 4080 Gaming PRO OC card, which only requires 2x not 3x PCI-e connectors. Both cards have been reviewed by Guru3D. (I am avoiding Gigabyte cards as I have heard that the RMA/support is terrible.)

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Yes that should work. The 600w rating applies to the connector itself as it was designed to receive up to 600w (fed from up to 4 x 8-pin 150w cables). So should be well in the clear using only 300w with 2 x 8-pins.

Darren Hodgson likes this.

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Got my cables from Corsair today: both the 2x PCI-e to 16-pin 12VHPWR cable and the additional PCI-e cable (ordered before I knew about the other cable) although the former is obviously the better option with less cable clutter.

Only question now is which 4080 to go for. I haven't bought a reference / Founder's Edition card in years but NVIDIA's 4080 is actually compelling as it is one of the cheapest at £1,199 and the reviews seem to suggest it runs both cool and quiet. It is also the smallest card as the third-party cards tend to be much bigger, some appear to be massive such as the ASUS TUF Gaming 4080. The Palit 4080 GameRock is actually one of the smallest so my choice is between both of those.

Which would people suggest? The FE card is in stock at NVIDIA at £1,199 and the Palit card is available on Amazon and EBuyer with the OC model costing £1,230. Both seem like good cards. Really don't want to spend any more than that as those prices are making me nervous enough as it is! Any suggestions?

I am leaning more toward the FE card as it isn't that much bigger than my Palit RTX 3080 GamingPro card:

3080 = 294 x 112 x 60mm
    4080 = 304 x 137 x 61mm

So the 4080 FE is about 1 x 2.5cm bigger and the same height as my existing 3080.

Planning to order one of these next week for delivery by the end of the week as I will be off work from 31st March until 11th April.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    serbicu and pegasus1 like this.
  17. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Will it be aircooled?

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes. Why? I have a mid-tower case: a CoolerMaster MasterBox TD500 Mesh ARGB and use a Corsair iCUE H100i Elite Capellix CPU cooler for my i5-13600KF.

19. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Because it will influence what brand of card you get, I probably wouldn't have gone for an Asus TUF but it was the only 4090 in stock that I could get a block for at the time. Even then it wasn't the brand of block I wanted either but time was against me.

20. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    I would go for the FE one, as it does run cool and it’s quiet enough, also I have one bad experience with The first 2080ti from Palit that I had, as it died on me after 2 months :(

I will only buy MSI ASUS or FE, at the time of purchase I did not find any 4090 FE so went with MSI.

That being said, I know you are running a Palit 3080, so for 30 quid more, Palit is also a choice. You will see no difference, performance wise between the 2.

Darren Hodgson likes this.