Review: Corsair H170i Elite Capellix XT

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 2, 2023.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Corsair has announced an updated line of liquid coolers, and we have the Corsair H170i Elite Capellix XT edition on our test bench to see how the most beefy triple-fan 420mm model performs. The kit co...

Review: Corsair H170i Elite Capellix XT

mbk1969, fantaskarsef and chispy like this.
  2. pbm

pbm New Member

GPU:
    Titan Pascal / 12gb
    I have the Corsair H170i Elite Capellix (Non XT version) being delivered tomorrow.... How does this new version compare to the previous one? I did not see a comparison in review.

Thank you

3. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3090
    My #1 question for every RGB laden device now is: "Can I set it once and uninstall your garbage software?"

This has become a major consideration for every thing I now buy. So firmware memory. To their credit, my Corsair ram let me set it and uninstall.

My EK and Asus garbage won't. As soon as their software is even not booted everything resets to the rainbow vomit default.

rflair, Solfaur and tunejunky like this.
  4. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Have you tried SignalRGB.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It's become quite a challenge to get parts that are friendly for non-RGB users.

RGB should be off by factory default, if people want the vomit on they can deal with the bloatware.

rflair likes this.
  6. Endymion

Endymion Member Guru

GPU:
    4090 TUF
    Just download OpenRGB and disable RGB for all devices separately.
    You can save those profiles directly into devices.
    No need to even keep the program open after that.

btw, "This makes the device 100 percent iCUE compliant" can't care less about it.

7. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    I disabled RGB in my BIOS, my RAM still lights up. I have downloaded G.Skill's app for it and load it up to turn off the RGB, then have a scheduled task kill the g.skill rgb software 1 minute after login to Windows. These are the kinds of weird hoops you have to jump through these days :p At least my video card lets me just turn it off and never worry about the software again. My Soundcard though has lights that are on unless the software loads, but I load that anyway so it's almost OK.

chispy and Solfaur like this.
  8. Domingo

Domingo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 (Gigabyte)
    Corsair's iCUE usually lets you set everything up once and then you can uninstall it and never need to touch it again. The catch is that other RGB software (like the kinds from MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA, etc.) can conflict with it. Especially the kinds for motherboards. The best option is to control that stuff via your BIOS if you can to avoid that. Worst case, OpenRGB works with most everything. It can mess with peripherals that have lighting, though.

9. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    These systems aren't that much more performant than classic aircooling. I know it is not a custom watercooling loop, but still a bit disappointing.

10. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    Ya. Cooling tech hasn't moved on a whole pile in the last decade, most "new" products just seem to feature new RGB stuff or more importantly in my opinion mounting hardware for newer sockets.

I use AIOs so I don't have to worry about a big chunk of metal hanging off my motherboard when I move my system around.

AlmondMan likes this.

11. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming
    I have the non-XT version and the fans rattle when they're in the exhaust position at the top of the case. When they're intakes the noise goes away and it also keeps the CPU & coolant running 5*C less at the same ambient.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  12. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I have noticed this once, did you perhaps screw the fans in too tightly?

13. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming
    It's likely, but I don't recall tightening them any less than when I installed them as intakes.

14. floppyedonkey

floppyedonkey Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980Ti GAMING 6G
    I'm not seeing the value in reviewing this product with an overclocked historical CPU, this becomes a misleading data point, especially when it is the only data point.

15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Always the insults.

1) The processor used here is a Core i9 12900K
    2) We test at CPU defaults AND overclocked

Perhaps you should move on towards a website that suits your stringent needs better, that or at least take the effort to actually read the review.