AMD Confirms Strategy of Restraining Chip Supply to Maintain High CPU and GPU Prices

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 2, 2023.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    mbk1969, Neo Cyrus and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    In other words, we desperately need more competition so that market manipulation won't be so easy. Yeah, nothing new.

3. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    still, some "experts" on g3d will always say it's the shortage of materials and AIB price hiking that's directly responsible, even though it's been clear as day since late 2020 amd is doing exactly what nvidia has done by creating artificial scarcity to keep the prices up.
    [​IMG]

Keitosha, mentor07825, BLEH! and 9 others like this.
  4. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    LOL, so AMD is not the "Good Guy"
    mild.jpg

5. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Especially for GPUs, that is a dumb move.
    AMD already has a low market share, meaning that most devs will optimize first for NVidia. Some might even not bother with optimizing and testing for AMD GPUs, if there isn't much time and resources left.
    And if AMD becomes the third, behind Intel, then the situation becomes even worse.
    AMD desperately needs to put more GPUs in gamers hands, or it will make the GPUs inconsequential in the PC market.

6. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    On other hand in Q4 22 price without taxes were already dropping down and there was some stock in shop...
    So it does almost nothing...

7. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    What a dick move to even declare that in written

8. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    LOL yeah so any game that got sponsored by AMD pretty much get the death warrant...

Unless the game has a gigantic MILF that follow you around :p

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  9. GlassGR

GlassGR Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD rx 6650
    we need more competition hahaha ,so there will be more than two or three companies that fix prices !
    there is something that we should understand ,competition the way we think it works ,does not exist.
    even with 10 companies producing vgas-cpus , investors are always the "same" people with the same demands.
    most of the times they are literally the same people.

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Honestly, I hope a lot of die hard fanboys now realise that AMD does not behave that different from Nvidia, and would absolutely behave the same way if their positions were switched. Because now it's very clearly stated by Lisa.

Doesn't make it any better or worse than most people already knew, but please stop being AMD fanboys because of their, obviously NOT EXISTING, moral high ground vs. Nvidia.

Buy their hardware if it suits your needs, but other than that, for no other reason. Do not let yourself be held an emotional hostage by companies.

11. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    marketshare=mindshare, rdna3 = path to victory, gpu and mobo price hikes are aib's fault, abandoning two year old generation of cards for months is fine if the new gen was released buggy.
    a perfect recipe for dropping below intel next quarter.

12. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    All companies are the same bud, or they would be a charity.

MonstroMart, Maddness and tunejunky like this.
  13. Catspaw

Catspaw Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080/8GB
    Not a surprise.
    There is a reason we dont have mid and low end GPUs of the 4000 and 7000 series out yet.

This dance was done before. The difference is that we can wait. AMD, not so much.
    I am also not surprised they are pulling this crap after the crypto boom died. Its a perfect storm for them when consumers have already been waiting for 2 years to get a GPU at a reasonable price.

Smart.
    Not sure will pay off thou, . . .

https://ir.amd.com/news-events/pres...LARA, Calif., Jan,earnings per share of $0.01.

Seems like it will not.

14. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    the "under 5% marketshare" protocol has been initialized.
    meanwhile nvidia sells heaps of 4070Ti's , launches 4070/4060/4050 soon, intel is dropping arc750 under 6600 price even though it's as fast as 6600xt and getting their drivers better .....
    but amd has their PR produce funny tweets and memes on nvidia so nothing to worry about.

15. Pryme

Pryme Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800 SWFT
    A lot of companies are trying this practices, and even worse, lying to your face. One of my suppliers of industrial printers tried that a few days ago to justify big price increases, "the prices of tranportation are higher!!" "There are no chips!!". I just told him that I now very well the prices of containers and the availabily of chips nowadays, so dont try be disonest again with me. Price reduced and stock available next day. Is AMD and a lot of other companies doing this.

16. So, it sounds like it worked.

Are ya'll still mad at miners buying up all the GPUs? :p

17. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    But that was only because of the server market.
    The client market, for CPU and GPUs, saw a reduction of 51% YoY, for AMD.
    Of course in a recession and with no mining and covid restrictions, demand is much lower. So that justifies this drop in part.
    But Intel only saw a drop of 36% on the client market.
    And the reason is that AMD overpriced their CPUs and GPUs. And this BS about limiting production to keep prices high, is biting them in the ass, as Intel and NVidia eat AMD's client share.

Backstabak and tunejunky like this.
  18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah, I know, that's why my post is directed at others. But I 100% agree with you.

pegasus1 likes this.
  19. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Not all companies are the same "or they'd be a charity". Not every company is willing to gang rape it's consumers for profit hoarding. This isn't business as usual; This is just flat out greed. This is them effectively telling us in their mob voice: "***k you. Give me more." People bending over willingly and taking it ("it's just business") are also a part of the problem or companies couldn't get away with it. Much like people who buy from scalpers.

HonoredShadow and Keitosha like this.
  20. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    greedy shareholders are the problem, it's them who Lisa Su wants to please by ratf***ing the people who are the source of their revenue. She's apparently fine with getting Huang's scraps as long as the premiums are high.
    What pisses me off even more is that we have people on this very forum who own shares and will continue to spin lies about "material shortages and costs" to cover up corporate greed as long as it profits them.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    HonoredShadow and Keitosha like this.