Forspoken

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by kx11, Mar 18, 2021.

1. syklonis

syklonis Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 MSI Trio
    Has anyone found where the game settings ini may be located, haven't found it yet..

2. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    If the game is using 14GB on a machine that has 16GB, then 16GB is clearly not enough if you ask me.

GoldenTiger and Archvile82 like this.
  3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Less than 1s load times on my setup :p (all the time tho..)

Click Continue - bum im in game almost instantly. Direst Storage 1.1 is the future.

Note:
    This cracling sound tho is not acceptable... SB AE7 here. You’ll have to force Stereo (2.0) in Windows to get rid of this.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    BlindBison likes this.
  4. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Waiting for 85% price off, 80 Euro is ridiculous.

Backstabak, SameOldx2, H83 and 2 others like this.

5. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  6. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Unfortunately it’s $70 USD not 60 — I hear you

7. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    It’s strange how some users are reporting the frame pacing and stuttering issues while others aren’t. Makes me wonder if it’s something to do with the VRAM and RAM consumption as most mainstream rigs will not have more than 8 gigs of VRAM and 16 gigs of total system RAM. But I’m just speculating I’ve not dug into testing it.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  8. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Ah that’s a bummer it’s not the GPU decomp version of DS. Thanks for the heads up. Has the meaningful version been in anything yet? I wonder if it could help mitigate streaming stutter.

9. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Lmao, Wccftech claims that the game don't stutter, yet you can see in their video that it's full of stutters.

BlindBison likes this.
  10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Reminds me of the stutter in Fallout New Vegas, where you can have stable frames but the game just stutters.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I have played about 90 minutes or so of this game so far, last night and this morning. I mostly like what I have seen so far but the game has issues, unfortunately, but that should not be a surprise to anyone who has played releases from major publishers in the last 2 years.

The main issue I have is that the game simply doesn't run as well as I was hoping it would, considering I am playing this on a considerably more powerful PC (i5-13600KF, 32 GB, RTX 3080, Windows 11 Pro) with the game installed to my DirectStorage compatible Samsung 980 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD. The loading times are certainly impressive, varying from 1.5 to 9 seconds during the various Benchmark tests, but in-game these are usually around a second (or less... loading to the main menu takes 2 seconds following by around 0.5 second to get into the game from a resumed save!). Very impressive and akin to playing an optimised current gen game on my PS5. DirectStorage is clearly nice to have. The problem is that on 1440p, maxed out settings with ray-tracing enabled and DLSS set to Quality with dynamic resolution enabled and a 60 fps framerate cap that the game just doesn't feel that smooth to play. The RTSS overlay shows 60 fps but it feels jerky (and I have G-SYNC enabled). The game also frequently drops below 60 fps, down to 52 fps at the lowest during the first dragon fight, and sometimes the cutscenes can stall a bit. I suspect the shader compilation may be the cause of some of this but considering how the game looks (character models look great but environments are mostly empty and lacking in detail and lighting) then it is disappointing that it isn't running consistently above 60 fps.

As for the gameplay, well, I enjoyed the initial introduction of the Frey character and the transition to what is literally another world. Her reactions were believable and it explained a lot of things that confused me in the PS5 demo I played as that was missing the cutscenes. It's just a shame that Frey is marred by some clumsy writing - does she really need to keep dropping the f-bomb every other sentence? - and repeated dialogue during world traversal/exploration. I actually enjoy the banter between Frey and Cuff, it adds some much needed personality to what would otherwise be a fairly drab open world (think Elden Ring but with faster and more entertaining combat). I have only played to the start of Chapter 3 which is where the game seems to open a bit more after what were essentially tutorials. Looking forward to checking out more of this tonight and hoping that the performance issues can be ironed out. I mean I don't feel I should need to be lowering the settings to below PS5 quality settings on what is a much more powerful system...

12. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    It's visible in the frame times. It's caused by Object LOD, highest setting runs pretty crappy vs. lowest:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Devs should just cease development of this ugly engine and instead focus on optimizing performance with UE...

13. Pryme

Pryme Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800 SWFT
    I do not disagree that sometime the games can have higher system requirements because whe are expecting the quality to improve, and new technologies being added.

BUT, I do not think that the level of graphics quality in this game justifies the sheer amount of resources that is consuming.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Directstorage is supported on windows 10, it just doesn't have the bypass IO mechanism.

It ships with and uses 1.1.

as happened with FFXV at first, the game doesn't support non-SMPTE layout devices (back left, back right) such as the SB XFI, it works fine with SMPTE layouts (Surround Left, Surround Right).

Game performs fine when your computer is built for 2022 and has 32GB+ instead of 2012 and has 16.

Archvile82 likes this.
  15. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    I completed the demo and I did get some slowdown in heavy fights, like 15 + enemies on screen with me doing flame attacks but nothing that ruins the gameplay as g-sync keeps it feeling smooth. Never saw any stutter though. I do think the latest CPUs also make a difference, anything 11xxxK downwards just don't perform well in the latest DX12 games and RT.

BlindBison likes this.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    tried to play the demo on uncles pc with 1050ti game would crash 4 gb vram is not good enough for it was on lowest setting and 720p which only why i could to even load in to actual game before it crashed. and it didnt actual look nice on low either
    Sekiro you only die twice use 14gb ram plus my page file and will crash if runs long eough and if i up the pagefile it will gladly use all that pagefile till crash again. Pretty sure lack there page file bigger then 1 gb is reason why forspoken is crash though cause 4gb vram dont cut it on my uncles pc.

Next pc will have 32gb and i am sure sekiro will do the same thing gladly almong with most games

17. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    It's really bizarre the difference in sensitivity to stuttering you see between people. But I think part of the problem too is that people when they hear the word "Stutttering" are thinking that it means something else. E.g. Maybe they're thinking it must be a prolonged freeze in order to count. I've seen many other users refer to these sort of micro-stutters as "framedrops" instead for whatever reason.

So probably those two things at work if I had to guess. I do find it very hard to believe though that if I was sitting down next to that reviewer and pointed out the stuttering and that they wouldn't be able to tell however. If you put side by side a game with proper frame pacing/good frametimes and no stutters and then just panned the camera smoothly at the same rate side by side with a game that does it wrong I think the vast majority of people would be able to tell the difference.

18. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I did not encounter this behavior in Sekiro myself, but From's tech team seems to not be very good so this wouldn't surprise me. Though actually thinking back the system I had played that on was using 32 gigs of RAM. Will have to retest on my current 16 gig system.

19. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Yeah, we're getting to the point now where I'd rather have a CPU/RAM upgrade than a GPU upgrade personally. The reason being that we have so many tools for scaling GPU performance (smart upscalers, tweaking graphics settings to reduce load on GPU), but many games seem to ship running like crap on the CPU side of things where there's not much you can do other than just get a faster processor. Imo it's nutty that many modern titles have apparent asset streaming and shader comp stutter on my 5800X / 3070 rig. Can't imagine how bad the experience must be for people with like a 3600 oof.

Carfax likes this.
  20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i never really noticed it but every time sekiro crashed it was cause pagefile file exhaustion. didnt really put together till last few months when i actual start play sekiro and finished it. I have had 1 gb pagefile on my systems for as long as i can remember and never had crashes due to it. but Sekiro will eat 16gb of system ram + 1 gb pagefile, and if I update pagefile to 4gb it will eat 16 gb ram and that 4gb pagefile till crashes again. but dont come close to fill 8gb vram my 1070ti has.

Only other game i found to do something similar is Deus EX MD that will use 6+gb vram by default but if i use 4x or higher AA which is MSAA game crashes if just 1gb pagefile cause system ram used up then pagefile and runing long enough with 4x msaa and 4gb pagefile it will crash again, and even if i upped pagefile again if ran long enough it will crash again, it like windows or game are not release memory? i dont see how sekiro of all game could be using the much ram. I did read while ago there windows bug that was not release the memory but i though that was long since fixed

I think I gona have set page file on system disk of 1gb just for crashs dumps and 4gb or higher pagefile on my game drive. but i dont think i can specify the use of game drives page file over system drive page file which only there for crashes. honestly i dont want pagefile used for anything windows should be release the memory and using that before even touching the slow pagefile

BlindBison likes this.