According to AMD product pages, the upcoming 7950X3D and 7800X3D are Unlocked for Overclocking.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Kind of weird actually, considering the problems with the 5800X3D was the thermals and the effect on the cache? Ryzen 7000 runs loads hotter, so I wonder what magical things they did to make it work properly.

Also I guess allowing for OC is free - doesn't mean there's going to be any meaningful performance to be had from it.

Yogi likes this.
  3. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    This is a good decision. And I wish they made some AGESA that would also unlock clock speeds for the 5800X3D.
    With PBO-30, my 5800X3D has a somewhat low power usage and temperatures, so it could go a couple 100Mhz higher, if it wasn't locked.

Valken and pegasus1 like this.
  4. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Agreed but nobody wants to hear their 5800X3D go 'POP' just for another 100mhz.
    Its been a significant jump in game for me over the 3800X, and also a jump in video encoding even though both hit around the same frequency.

Embra and bernek like this.

5. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    These CPUs have thermal protection. So even if a user were to set a clock speed too high, it would just start throttling down.

6. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    It would be the voltages i am concerned about. Maybe they locked the 5800X3D as it would have scuppered the 7 series launch more than it has done already, or maybe it really was due to needing t0 protect the circuitry. I run -30 and have great temps and yeah would like to see what i could push it to, maybe they will unlock in the future.

7. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I don't care about unlocked voltages for the 5800X3D, just the unlocked clocks.

There have been people doing OC on the 5800X3D with BCLK and getting good results.

Maddness, Solfaur and Valken like this.
  8. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    What core speeds are they hitting?

9. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Depends on the BCLK they can get before PCI-e errors.
    I've seen some with just 102, other with 106 and even one with a BCLK of 109.

10. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    My Taichi 570x isnt an easy MOBO for experimenting on, once you find the sweet spot its 100% stable but push 0.5% past the sweet spot and its unhappy. it would no doubt crash if i pushed the BLCK to 101 im sure.

11. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    That is why having AMD unlocking the 5800X3D multiplier would be the ideal solution.

12. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    Maybe it just one CCX that is unlocked

13. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Looking forward to reviews of 3D cache versions.
    I used to be on the fence, but I don't think those new product will deliver the "twice as fast as 5900X and affordable" that I am looking for.
    Guess I will have to look for next generation, with the prices of everthing I am in no hurry.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  14. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

not so fast mon frere

the problem w/ thermals on 5800X3D is one of voltage being shared by the cache and cpu.
    AMD discovered in the Genoa series that providing an independant regulator for the cache virtually eliminated the heat issue as the cache needs nowhere near the same voltage.

this is why they have unlocked the clocks on 7000 series X3D

15. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    "And that means one CCD has a 32 MB L3 cache on-die, and the other is a standard planar CCD."

Hold on... 3D cache on only one CCD of the 7950X3D?
    So that means if your process ends up running on the other normal CCD then it would end up much slower?
    Also does this leave the door open for AMD to then release a next version of 7950X3D with a 3D cache on both CCDs?
    Was this done intentionally to make people buy the same thing again from them - planned obsolescence?

16. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    I'm in now way an expert on cpu architecture.

No, it was the drawback of the 5800x3d design. For 7000's the large cache is is just on 1 CCD and the other CCD with the standard cache. This will allow acceptable thermals and overclocking for higher single core performance on one CCD. But you also have a CCD with the large cache for multi-threaded games.

In one article I read, AMD is now working with Microsoft with this new design and proper core loading. Right now it's not optimized at all. It will be intersting to see how the intial release and gaming results compare to the 5800x3d design.

pegasus1 likes this.
  17. I'd expect cores without 3D cache to be unlocked but not those with it. We'll see how this turns out, but I'm still not a big fan of that hybrid design. I'd vote for full 16core with 3D cache and unlocked OC or at least some kind of HW scheduler, which would miraculously be able to correctly schedule between those 2 CCDs.

Dribble and GarrettL like this.
  18. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    That's the issue. Until Microsoft works out it with AMD it's history repeating itself. Initially the 7000x3d scores may not look great at release compared to what it will be in a year.

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/amds-...faster-than-the-7800x3d-in-most-games-report/

19. It would be awesome if AMD came up with a 3DVCache that could be shared between both CCDs, making a form of a bridge. That wouldn't need scheduler (both CCDs would benefit from it) and it could also decrease CCD to CCD latencies. But that is just my wishful thinking and likely lack of knowledge... it's probably not possible.

20. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    you guys are conflating separate issues.

3DCache has zero effect on CCD's, the issue regarding OC is voltage regulation and it has been solved months ago with the launch of Genoa3D.

another - Ryzen is not and has never been a Hybrid Design. it is a MCM which is entirely different. SOME mcm's (Intel) are hybrid, AMD is not.

any latencies between CCD's is so small as to have a minimal effect, as opposed to a massive increase in FPS in real world games for 3dCache, so any worrries about a 7900/7950X3D is misplaced and is just internet chum.

i've had Ryzen's (and TR) top cpu's from 1st, 2nd. and 3rd generation. i'm about to build the fourth gen system.
    i've only had issues in gaming with the 1st gen (which i expected), and in the transition to Win 11 - which was more M$'s issue than AMD.

pegasus1, GarrettL and Valken like this.