Crash 0xc0000005 (3221225477) in Red dead redemption 2(solution found)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by zit, Dec 17, 2022.

1. zit

zit Member

GPU:
    hello everyone!
    Two days ago, I decided to play rdr2 2 years after the purchase.
    In the summer, after updating the PC, I did tests and the game started, and then it began to crash with the error 0xc0000005 (3221225477).
    I started looking for solutions, found a bunch of all sorts of instructions, but nothing worked. Today I decided to roll back to the drivers that were in the summer, it was 516.40 and the game started!
    After testing several versions above, this eventually turned out to be the top version of the drivers 522.25 , everything above also crashes the game at startup. I don't know how to convey this to someone in Nvidia or Rockstar, but I'll leave it here just in case.

@ManuelG hello, you can check with yourself?

the description of the errors is obtained from the logs of the Rockstar Game Launcher, see here C:\Users \(your account name)\Documents\Rockstar Games\Launcher

the game was purchased in steam

PC spec:
    Intel 12900KF
    Asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS
    Kingstone 32 GB 4000 Mhz
    Colourful Nvidia 3080 Ti AD OC
    Windows 10 22H2 19045.2364

Crashes:
    Exit code 0xc0000005 indicates a fatal game exit (reason: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION)
    Game exited with code 0xc0000005 (3221225477)

p.s.
    I apologize for my English, I wrote through a translator.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    RDR2 works fine on current drivers, access violation crashes like this usually occur as a result of the mixing of multiple incompatible applications which inject themselves into processes, so start looking there.

remove Bandicam if you use Vulkan in RDR2, it hasn't been updated to work beyond vulkan loader 1.3.204.1.

Update Reshade.

Uninstall Mirillis Action! and then install the latest.
    Uninstall Twitch Studio, though the twitch vulkan layer might need manual removal.
    Update OBSS.

if you find yourself here having the same problem yourself, output from gpu-caps viewer or vulkaninfo will assist in resolving it as I am not aware of every single vk layer that exists which cause this issue.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    BlindBison likes this.
  3. zit

zit Member

GPU:
    I do not use bandicam and reshade, the game is downloaded in steam clean, version rdr2 1.0.1491.16 without any mods and other things
    well, then what's the joke of the fact that the rollback to 522.25 worked?

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it includes an older Vulkan Runtime (technically just a loader).

Check with vulkaninfo in command prompt or gpu caps viewer, theres going to be an outdated layer present that is the cause of your problem.

5. zit

zit Member

GPU:
    that's what gives out, what's wrong?
    and what should I do ?
    All drivers above this version crash the game
    upload_2022-12-18_1-51-24.png
    it is strange that it does not show a sub-vendor in gpu caps. everything is fine in gpu-z
    upload_2022-12-18_1-55-8.png

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you're not on the vulkan tab

layers are listed there

7. zit

zit Member

GPU:
    this tab?
    upload_2022-12-18_1-56-47.png
    this layers you need to see?
    upload_2022-12-18_1-59-16.png

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Update twitch studio to update the vulkan layer there, spec 1.1.0 layers are not compatible with vulkan 1.2 or 1.3

Install RTSS 7.3.4+ for vulkan 1.3 overlay compatibility, some games that use 1.3 will not display the overlay otherwise.

Edit - it looks like twitch fully removed the vulkan layer in recent updates to twitch studio

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
  9. zit

zit Member

GPU:
    I have never installed twitch studio, I also removed the AB and RTSS completely and tried the nvidia driver version above 522 after that - it didn't help.
    what is the logic in this?

UPD
    Install twitch studio , now see this
    upload_2022-12-18_12-57-53.png
    nothing changed

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
  10. zit

zit Member

GPU:
    in general, I don't know what I did, but I deleted twitch studio. I deleted the drivers via DFU , installed 527.56 and everything works
    upload_2022-12-18_13-19-33.png

Ghosty likes this.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I am not sure how you would have gotten the twitch layer without twitch studio, but installing and then removing it has removed the twitch layer (unless DDU did it?) @Wagnard ?

I have notified Epic that their layer is out of date too.

12. dezo

dezo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    And how he's got that RTSS layer version 1.1.73? Seems fairly old too, recent beta has layer version 1.3.224. BTW I didn't find RTSS layer it in that GPU Caps app, so don't know how reliable it is. It shows up normally in vulkaninfo.exe in Layers section.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the layers are at the bottom of the first scrollable box, they are always listed there, even the current_user ones.

14. dezo

dezo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Only that NV one is listed for me. I can see those Steam layers on another machine with GPU Caps app, but not RTSS.
    But thanks for these tips about Vulkan anyway.

vk_layers.png

15. Unity2906

Unity2906 Guest

GPU:
    NvidiaRtx2060Super
    I know he already solved it but is there any consistent fix for this? I seem to be having the same problem with the same error code but cant seem to fix it (even tried some of the stuff listed above)

Attached Files:

16. Unity2906

Unity2906 Guest

GPU:
    NvidiaRtx2060Super
    Rockstar support gave up in about 2 days havent heard from them since

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Get rid of the Mirrilis layer. (uninstall Mirillis Action)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  18. Unity2906

Unity2906 Guest

GPU:
    NvidiaRtx2060Super
    thanks sad to part with action but it seems necessary

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I don't know where the official support forum is for that software, but they should be informed they need to build against the current vulkan sdk and increase the layer version for complaince with 1.3

20. Ben Voght

Ben Voght Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Super
    I am having a similar issue. I have tried everything I can think of and followed the advice of many forums (including this thread) but still no dice.

My vulkan layers are super clean (nv optimus, 2 layers for steam then social club). All drivers up to date. Windows too.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is a fresh install of windows. (This shouldn't be necessary)

After searching the registry, I found traces of previous installations that pointed to paths that don't exist any more so I uninstalled both the game and rockstar launcher then searched the registry for any traces of either and completely removed them. (except for firewall and app exceptions. Those can't be modified through regedit.)

After a reboot, I installed rdr2. Then I let it install social club.
    I'm right back where I started. Same damn symptoms.

I suppose I could try rolling back the video driver but I have doubts it has anything to do with drivers because rdr2 doesn't even try to start. The settings folder hasn't even been created in the rdr2 folder under documents.