5800X3D owner on an Asus board? Newest bios unlocks PBO settings!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by PC-Tweaker, Dec 3, 2022.

1. ColinB

ColinB Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Eagle 3070
    Re Zen Timings: shouldn't you be running at 3600/1800 minimum with this RAM, rather than 3200/1600?

I think I'm going to have to give up on trying to squeeze anything more from my ASUS Prime B550 board: I don't see any parameter that will give the extra 200 MHz uplift (that was available on my R5 3600), I've tried PBO2, down-volting in BIOS, even tried the previous BIOS! (In case anything was removed). Even RyzenMaster only permits me Memory settings! My cpu will just not ramp up on all cores to the Global limit, even at 75C temperatures.

Thanks for the help, guys.

2. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    First thing, you have a 5800X3D, so the gains from memory tuning will be smaller than on other CPUs. So you ahve to consider if it's worth your time and effort.

You might want to start by increasing the speed of the memory and IF. This is where the biggest gains are.
    Then try to lower the tRFC, that's one of the most important timings for Zen, and your is atrociously high.

3. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I dont go too deep with this kind of stuff but im working the speeds up while keeping timings tight and seeing what gives me the best overall performance.
    3200 with tighter timings may end up better than 3600 with looser timings, time and testing will tell.

4. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Yeah, i started at 2666mhz and worked my way up, gaming frame rates show not difference and at 4k im not surprised, il push a little higher today, whatever the next step up from 3200 is but the X570 Taichi is a little touchy with some of its voltages.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    disable core isolation to run thaiphoon burner on 11

6. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Its been disable for as long as ive had W11 mate, this afternoon il try and run it again and take a screeny of what it said.
    Im more occupied with looking at all the AMD Adrenaline settings and going through what does what in more detail as so much conflicting info on the interwebs

7. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    @pegasus1

When enabled, Smart App Control of Windows 11, version 22H2 blocks
    Thaiphoon Burner driver from installing as it does not have the required
    WHCP-signature. For this reason the program cannot read and write SPD. In
    this case you can run the program in Windows 10 or import your SPD dumps
    extracted from text reports of third-party software. To import a text SPD
    dump copy it to the clipboard, go to "File"->"Import from Clipboard".

*** Hovewer, you can disable Windows 11 WDAC policy to let Thaiphoon Burner
    *** run its driver via "Windows Security"->"Device Security"->"Memory
    *** Integrity":OFF. Then run Regedit.exe, open the key
    *** [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CI\Config]
    *** and set “VulnerableDriverBlocklistEnable”=dword:00000000

8. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Thanks, way to much effort though :D. And I try to avoid messing with the OS, maybe why I never have any of the issues people often post about.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    this policy is only relevant on managed/enterprise setups.

the policy that determines the requirement for driver signatures is elsewhere.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
  10. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I took that from the Thyphoon readme file and works.
    That's all I needed to know and do to use it on Win11

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    then the readme is wrong, the vulnerable driver blocklist is string based, not certificate based.

12. tone321

tone321 Member

GPU:
    3070 mobile
    Damn with 3 more x3d cpus coming out in January, gamers going to have hell of a year 2023. You know intel is going to counter too

13. ibizadr

ibizadr Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 (6gb)
    The voltage can reach 1.5v past 140 EDC or still limited?

14. bbsmitz

bbsmitz Guest

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
    I can't see the ram being the difference here between 12.5K and 15K. I just ran R23 and I'm sitting at ~4450Mhz all cores sustained. In one of your posts you said some of your cores go considerably below 4.3GHz. What clock speeds are you sitting at for most of R23?

I believe you can only undervolt, not overvolt on the 5800x3d.

15. ibizadr

ibizadr Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 (6gb)
    Its not overvolting. But in the Last agesa at least from 1.2.0.3c if you past 140 EDC bios lock your voltage to something around 1.34v I think and don't go to the "normal" 1.5v auto

16. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    Gaming f x570 here
    The new bios does not allow me to run the ram 3800/1900 IF and the processor does not run at 4,550 but has a loss of 100MHz, the PBO allows up to -30 negative curve, but the software PBO tuner that I ran for 58x3d months now allowed you to reach up to -50 negative with the best performances coming to -35 for my processor, after all this I went back to the previous bios and everything runs as before ram 3800/1900, cpu 4.550GHz.

pegasus1 likes this.
  17. ColinB

ColinB Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Eagle 3070
    Thanks, very useful. I never knew -50 was an option on PBO Tuner (software). I'll try that.

ASUS yesterday delivered a new BIOS for my B550 Prime Plus (2806). It makes PBO options available in the BIOS for the first time (that I've noticed). You can also decrease the maximum temperature, presumably from 90C. But in typical ASUS fashion, don't specify if the number is the maximum temperature or the amount of decrease.

So far, my results of playing around with the BIOS options aren't promising. While in a normal state, my PC sets a boost limit of 4550. As soon as R23 is started, this global limit drops to 4360 (maximum), with individual threads boosting up to that number (I reset HWInfo after R23 has started). These tend to give me 121xx results in R23. Ughhh! A far cry from 14xxx. This is with IF/mem at 1900/3800. I can run at 2000/4000 but only unstably, and with very high latency (much lower R23 results). 1900/3800 seems to be the sweet-spot for my B550 and 5800X3D. Of course, the problem might be physical (incorrectly installed Fuma2 cooler). but my temperatures (75-80) are quite acceptable I think.
    Regards,

kanenas likes this.
  18. bbsmitz

bbsmitz Guest

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
    When you say boosting up to 4360MHz, is that where they are the entire benchmark? Or do they average lower? 75-80 should be low enough that you're not seeing substantial throttling.

Another thing to try might be to disable PBO in the BIOS and just try the PBO2 software.

ColinB likes this.
  19. ColinB

ColinB Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Eagle 3070
    "the problem might be physical"...............it was. My brain!

I installed a clean Win11 on a USB drive, switched off the network and anything else I could think of, and re-installed the test apps.
    Ran R23

14468 !!!

So happy.
    It turns out I had upgraded from an R5 3600 to the 5800X3D, but had failed to change the R23 threads from 12 to 16..........................
    What a donkey! Those small little boxes dancing round the table were an immediate clue.

Anyway, I'll look into the finer tuning parts that have been suggested here, so thanks with those.
    HWInfo also looks a bit different: all cores are now hitting the same limit set by my PPT/TDC/EDC combo (with undervolts), so I can dig into that a bit more: they are lower than the Global limit (4430), but all the same (ie are hitting a hard stop from the parameters).
    I need to try to get the global limit at 4550 during R23, with the cores running as close to that as possible.

bbsmitz likes this.
  20. bbsmitz

bbsmitz Guest

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
    That's hilarious and well done finally figuring it out! One note; you'll maybe see 4550 on light single threaded loads, but my understanding is that the max for sustained multithreaded work is 4450. So don't sweat that last 100Mhz when running multi-core R23. I don't even see 4550 on single core R23.