3800X to 5900X System Crash

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by v4npro, Dec 1, 2022.

1. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
    Hi All,

So I recently upgraded my cpu from a 3800x to a 5900x. At first everything seemed fine gaming(besides BF2042). I then I ran curve optimizer on auto via Ryzen Master and it set all per core to -30. I started to experience system crashes with black screen with the audio keep playing for couple seconds then the system would reboot. I did further tweaking but had no luck narrowing down the settings so I said the hell with it and reverted everything back to default in the bios and uninstalled ryzen master.

It seems like most(99%) of my black screen system crashes are in BF2042 that I purchased recently. I had it happen in HLL, Dota2 but only with curve optimizer on. It didn't really matter if I set everything to -5 or 0, my system would still crash. Event viewer is only showing "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.", no whea errors or anything else. My system uses ~580W peak gaming.

I tried changing power supply idle from auto to typical in bios
    Increased memory voltage +0.5
    Change LLC levels
    Tried updated bios version
    Reinstalled chipset drivers
    Reinstalled Nvidia drivers
    Cleared cmos
    Disable PBO but kept CPB on
    Tested per core in OCCT no errors

CPU: 5900X
    MB: ASRock X370 Taichi running x470 bios 4.90(did try 5.10)
    MEM: 16 GB Gskill Trident Z @3200mhz XMP
    GPU: Evga 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 760W

At this point, what would be the next thing I try?

Reinstall Windows
    Replace MB
    Replace PSU
    Run Memtest
    Revert to x370 bios

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

2. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Don't reinstall anything. Usually something do to with power. Try to set your cpu input voltage a little and see if it will stabilize it while checking your temperatures.

3. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
    Thanks Valken. I will try that.

4. machete

machete Member Guru

GPU:
    Asrock PG 6800XT
    i think its your mobo. how good are the vrm on that board?

5. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
    I believe the VRM should be good enough, I’ve read it’s the same as the x470 Taichi. I also have had this motherboard when first gen came out so maybe they are weakening? I did a clear cmos and enabled CPPC and set the Line Calibration to level 1 and haven’t crashed yet. I couldn’t fine the input voltage option. If I get another crash I guess I’ll get an x570 MB at some point.

6. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    The VRM on the Master should be good enough. I'd recently upgraded from a 3900X (to be re-used as 2nd gaming rig) to a 5900X. And since my 3900X is a 12C/24T CPU like the 5900X, as well as having a Plat rated 1kW PSU, and the BIOS of my X570 Aorus Xtreme supports 5000 series CPUs, it was a question of simply swapping out the CPUs. Oh yeah, before that, I'd had to set Ryzen Master and BIOS back to default, before the swap. No fuss, no muss....

7. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    You can't just set curve optimizer at -30 and expect everything to be OK. Some CPUs can handle that, others can't.
    Try doing that one core at a time. And when it crashes start dialing back on that respective core.

8. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
    I understand that but I set everything back to default and it was still crashing.

So I cleared the cmos, removed the battery, reseated GPU, reflashed the bios(4.90 for x470) and *knock on wood* since then I haven't crashed. I also put CO per core to -30 again and no crashes yet.

9. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    why would anyone flash x470 bios onto a x370 ?

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its the same chipset and feature set.

cucaulay malkin likes this.

11. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    have you tested with some good stress test?
    maybe Y-cruncher.

12. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    You probably should go back to x370 bios, the boards are very similar, but they aren't the same from a glance. I think its worth doing just to elminate it as a variable for weirdness imo.

The curve optimizer software is garbage, You'd probably be better off doing per core manually and running a test like prime 95 to see if any cores crash, then reducing the undervolt just for the cores that fail until they stop crashing.
    I believe there was a short time when the many x370 boards didn't support PBO on ryzen 2000 but did on x470, possibly that or newer agesa , no reason to do it now afaik since they are both on 1.2.0.7

13. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
    Yeah basically just different ROM size 16mb vs 32mb

I flashed the x470 bios few years ago for the new agesa which wasn't on the x370 at that time. I would have flashed to the x370 bios as a last resort in testing but everything appears to be working now.
    I did set the CO in the bios manually and I'm not using Ryzen Master anymore. I did a cpu stress test in OCCT and haven't received any errors(I didn't have errors previously too when I was crashing).

Thanks everyone for responding!

user1 and cucaulay malkin like this.
  14. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    Glad all is working now. Its a killer setup.

v4npro likes this.