Dell unleashes 34-inch UWQHD OLED gaming display (AW3423DWF)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    I have the 175hz g-sync model of this monitor, and I love it for gaming.
    For me, 3440x1440 is perfect in games :)
    Once you go oled, you don't go back :D

TheDigitalJedi, tunejunky and Benny V like this.
  3. Mpampis

Mpampis Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8GB
    I've got my eyes on this one, but I guess OLEDs are too expensive for me right now.
    My upgrade plan is "new monitor, then new GPU".

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    2.38:1 aspect ratio on my desk?

No thanks.

5. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Ok

theoneofgod and southamptonfc like this.
  6. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    This one looks like a kick ass monitor on specs !

TheDigitalJedi and tunejunky like this.
  7. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    It's awesome, just like the previous white one (though I'm curious what are the differences between the two). The only reason I didn't upgrade yet, is that I still have the old IPS AW3420DW and don't know what to do with it, since I lack space for 2 and I imagine it's rather hard to sell. :oops:

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  8. Benny V

Benny V Active Member

GPU:
    I got tired of waiting for a worthy successor to my old 35P, which was 3440x1440p, 34.5", curved, VA, 120Hz, so I went with a 48" LG C2 OLED. It's amazing. The inky blacks and bright HDR are just awesome. It's funny to see hot new gaming monitors come out and be able to completely write them off because they're not OLED.

I love the added vertical height and overall scale of everything on the screen vs my smaller ultrawide, but I do miss the curve a lot. I feel like a 175Hz, OLED, 3840x1600, curved, 40-48" would be perfect for my tastes. If something of that sort emerges for under $2k in the next few years I'll make the switch.

TheDigitalJedi and tunejunky like this.
  9. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i was way too impatient for this and started saving for the ROG oled. now i'm 3/4 way there

Venix and TheDigitalJedi like this.
  10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    There's a 2560x1440 LG OLED coming for $1K USD, with pre-orders on the 12th.

tunejunky and TheDigitalJedi like this.

11. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Truth!

I'm playing GOW Ragnarok and the Pumpkins, fruit and vegetation of Svartalfheim looks as if I can reach in and touch them.

OLED is uncanny.

tunejunky likes this.
  12. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    You should try it Loobyluggs. Oled brings forth some of the best image quality displayed for games.

Solfaur likes this.
  13. Outsid3r

Outsid3r New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    I was looking before on the same 175Hz G-sync model, but didnt jump on it, because of inbuilt active fan into monitor for hot G-Sync module. I hope this version with 165Hz FreeSync doesnt have inbuild fan. It seems wrong that monitor comes with active fan in it, even if its gaming monitor. They could do better for such a price.

Exodite likes this.
  14. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Oh, I know how good QD-OLED is - the issue is the aspect ratio for a desktop monitor. I need more vertical resolution so I have a higher quality vertical image that is as close to the golden ratio as possible, and the only one ever produced is the classic 1.6:1 ratio. 1920x1200, 2560x1600 and the closest one to this would be 3840x2400, but that monitor does not exist.

If this had another 1,000 lines vertically, I would be shouting [insert Futurama gif of Fry holding a wad of bills] and throwing out my low grade Dell HDR 3840x2160, just to get those extra 240 vertical lines.

Another resolution I would like is 4096x2160, which I know is an odd 1.89:1, but, it does conform to DCI spec on "4K" and still has 2160 lines vertically.

If we can turn off pixels (which we can) and get perfect blacks (which we can) then, surely the monitor could be the largest total size possible and be rectangular so it conforms to the shape of a desk? If that is done, then, whatever 'aspect ratio' the individual wants or needs can be used - so, if you like a wide angle, fine, no problem, just turn off the pixels you do not need, shazzam! You got the aspect ratio of your dreams - yet when using the computer, you can use the rest of the lines for desktop use.

Movies are not all the same aspect ratio either, even though digital cinema projectors must conform to the spec, the actual projection is just either using the whole of the screen or, it is not - so if a big blockbuster movie has so crazy aspect ratio of 2.4:1, it only means they are NOT going to be using all available vertical lines of projection!

IMAX is very different, and I am not surprised that Chris Nolan is releasing his final masterpiece "Oppenheimer" next year on IMAX, because, nuclear explosions deserve LASER projection.

BOT:

I like the tech, just not the aspect ratio - I want the golden ratio, but will concede to 1.6:1 quite happily

TheDigitalJedi and Venix like this.
  15. Calenhad

Calenhad Active Member

GPU:
    MSi 3080ti Suprim X
    The short version is that one has a Gsync module, the other is Freesync. AW3423DW vs AW3423DWF.

Congratulations, you are the first person I have ever seen dragging the golden ratio into pc monitor discussions. I guess you are stuck with productivity laptops for the forseeable future. Or if you buy a larger than necessary 4K monitor, you can run a (centered) custom resolution to get the precious golden ratio.

Solfaur likes this.

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I drag nothing, my POV is quite streamlined and svelte :)

Dell still make golden ratio monitors, just with not high resolutions as you pointed out.