RTX 4090 Owner's thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Witcher29, Oct 11, 2022.

1. vMax1965

vMax1965 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Gaming
    [​IMG] Just to add some feedback on the Palit Gamerock RTX 4090 non OC model. I bought the Fasgear 12VHPWR cable so three ports go direct into the back of my EVGA G6 1000w PSU with the 16 pin into the GPU and so far all good. 16awg cables and no issues with fit as it clicked in nicely. Will upgrade to a ATX 3.0 PSU when they have better availability with decent prices. Overall the Palit was the cheapest and though not the best VRM's, it runs cool at 40's degrees in idle and barely goes past 60 degrees under gaming load. Hits 2745Mhz stock and a fraction over 2900MHz with a modest overclock...but looking to undervolt and will play around with settings shortly. Apparantly the BIOS can be changed to the OC version if you want to unlock the 500w limit but personally not worth it as it is just marginal gains for too much total power and stock it runs just great anyway. Runs quiet with no decernable coil whine so overall happy! Yes the bling is so way over the top but it is hidden in the horizontal mount and sadly the ARGB bug has me in it's grip.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Palit looks very decent for the money, and good cooler design in terms of efficiency - not a ton of crap blocking airflow, like on the zotac cards.

vMax1965 likes this.
  3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    My 3090 strix is now back in my pc (although temporary, downgrade deffo sux), and 4090 strix sent for rma... fingers crossed i will get one of the few 4090 strix'es without coilwhine this time...

Edit : okay this is super wierd... my 3090 strix never had coilwhine before, but now it sounds exactly like my 4090... and same pattern, with it scaling with power usage rather than fps... deffo points towards the psu, but it would just be too wierd if it went bad exactly as i put in the 4090...

If only nvidia hadn't been c*nts and used the new power plugs long before atx 3.0 psu's are out... dont wanna buy an old standard psu 2 months before the release of the new ones... -_-

Edit 2 : okay, it isn't quite as bad as my 4090, but deffo there... and it didn't have any before... really wierd stuff.

Edit 3 : this pisses me off so much that i just ordered an ax1600i, just to test this crap out... and stopped shipment of the 4090 strix...

southamptonfc likes this.
  4. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Hm. How old is your PSU? Perhaps degraded and it couldn't handle the power draw and the 4090 gave it the rest and now also has trouble with the 3090. Then again, perhaps it's colder now and your fans or maybe other background noise just aren't as loud as they used to be in the summer which is why you notice the coil whine. I really hope the PSU is causing this and you won't have coil whine with the new one so you can keep your card.

I do have an old Corsair AX1200 Professional Gold PSU that used to be fine but has developed terrible coil whine over the years and also caused other components to whine and had gotten worse over time, too. I've only been using it as a spare PSU to power the water pump of my loop for testing and bleeding air and such for the past couple of years since I replaced it, but it still whines even without much load.

On a side note, I switched my SuperFlower Leadex II Gold 1200W PSU together with the old 3090 Strix over to our other PC today and installed an ASUS ROG Thor Platinum II 1200W PSU (it's surprisingly quiet!) that I got on sale at a local store into my main system and still don't have any coil whine on the 4090 TUF with the new PSU. I'm now using the 12VHPWR cable that came with the new PSU and connects to two GPU connectors on the PSU side instead of the Nvidia 1x4 Adapter I used with my old PSU before.

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Old, but the ax1200i can easily handle the power draw... it might have degraded in other ways though, while still easily being able to handle the power draw, which MIGHT be what has happened... i will find out in 2 days.

In regards to fan noise 1. im from scandinavia - aka it's always cold. Only difference is that during summer we MIGHT not have to have indoor heating turned on... lol. And 2. i have fans set at fixed speeds with different profiles... so fan noise will always be the same :)

The only variables are the psu and gpu. Ordered the ax1600i, cause then i won't have to redo cables - can just swap the psu. I kinda hope it's the psu, and then i kinda hope it aint, cause i really wanted to wait getting a new psu till true atx 3.0 psu's launched, but it would make it alot easier in regards to the gpu situation.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Hey chicks dig the design :D

TheDigitalJedi, vMax1965 and chispy like this.
  7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    XD

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    @Dragam1337 , i hope you get your rma soon. Let us know how Asus treats you with the rma please. That new ax1600i psu can easily handle 2x 4090s gpu's :D.

9. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    My msi gaming trio has been doing great , cross fingers :) , no more black screens while on iddle , zero / no coilwhine.

Also today my new 4x8/12 pin adapter for my Evga 1200w P2 Platinum psu arrived from CableMod , is a white edition , looks good and very well made + for peace of mind :p . Now i only need my EK water block that i pre-ordered , good news as it is shipping to me the 2 of December. So i shall have it under water before Christmas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I guess that's what the kids call "iced out" :D
    iirc there's RAM looking like that as well, might be a chance for a white / crystal build there...

DannyD and Undying like this.

11. FR4GGL3

FR4GGL3 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    chispy likes this.
  12. joshk

joshk Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Tuf 4090
    Hx1000 (2019) + Cablemod 4x8/12 + Asus Tuf 4090 non OC. Absolute zero coilwhine.

13. sneida

sneida Active Member

GPU:
    rtx 4090
    TX-850 + ootb adapter + tuf 4090 non oc. massive coilwhine (like never experienced before).

coilwhine is not noticeable though with tuned settings (0,875v@2505mhz with 4k@120hz vrr).

I'm still impressed about the low noise/temperatures/watt levels with the settings above (all maxed out - 120fps limited, e.g. destiny 2 ~130w, cod mwf2 ~180w, hunt showdown ~230w). as a comparison, because I remember it for my previous undervolted 3090, hunt showdown: ~290w with 80-90fps)

fantaskarsef likes this.
  14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I thought you tried a different PSU shortly after you got the Strix? Or do I remember incorrectly? Could be that the 4090 has done something to the PSU. Very interesting if your 1600 will prove fine.

So, what do you think of the cable? Stiff right?

chispy likes this.
  15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    @Netherwind , I like the cable and it's not very stiff it is very managable and so much better than the nvidia short octopus adapter :D

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    That's true :) But I would rather prefer the Corsair cable since you can bend it however you want. I was discomforted by bending the cable enough to be able to close the case and according to CableMod, they encouraged to keep the cable straight as a ruler for 3,5cm after the plug which is much in an ATX case.

chispy likes this.
  17. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I said i wanted to, but i didn't cause the true atx 3.0 psus hasn't released yet... seasonic comes with theirs in december...

Ax1600i aint an atx 3.0 psu either, so it kinda sux buying one right now before the launch of them. My gut feeling says the psu wont make a difference though, and if so im sending the ax1600i back, and waiting for an atx 3.0 psu

18. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Even with the Corsair PSU cables, it's risky to bend them too much too close to the connector, too.

19. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    So my 4090 finally arrived, its Gainward Phantom GS, I connected it using just 3 plugs of 4 cuz I don't need to OC it. I actually want to power limit it at 90% in the future.

I made sure its fully seated when connecting it and I heard a silent click.

Almost no coil whine so far, temps are 70c max on core, 78c hot spot and 74c memory with fans spinning at 45-47% max (default) the card is almost inaudible but I have be quiet! 802 case which helps with noise a bit.

I didn't had any black screen issues (using DisplayPort 1.4a monitor + cable) but I updated the vbios right away that Gainward released on October 20 so maybe that's why no black screens for me.

Performance is crazy, 32k+ score in TimeSpy oh my gosh :p

20. FR4GGL3

FR4GGL3 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    If you bend it, you have to be aware not to pull out the Metal connectors out of the plastic housing (backwards). You also have to look after the orientation of the Metal connectors. They should remain centered - not tiltet to a side.

I have an Asus original 16 PIN cable (ROG Thor P2 1000W) which I had to bend. It was quite stiff and it has a zip tie under a shrink tubing quite near to the connector. I bent it as near to the shrink tubing as I could, but I don't think I could hold 3,5 cm of strait cable. To do it I needed to heat the cable slightly and I had to sort the wires seperately - because as soon as you bend it, the upper wires have a bigger radius and because of this you could pull them out backwards. If you sort them, the lower row wires (radius narrow, so "more" cable to route) can be routed between the upper row wires so that there is no pushing or pulling between the upper and the lower row wires. The goal is to get strait, lined Metal connectors without any length differences. If you have a look after this, everything is okay.

I did a 15 Min Load Test (450W all the time) yesterday. The connector didn't heat up nor did it melt. So I guess everything is fine.

Oh and please, don't forget to look after the flush seating - on both sides. GPU side AND PSU side. There have also been poorly seatet cables on the PSU side in the past. The PSU Side can also melt.

Cave Waverider likes this.