RTX 4090 Owner's thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Witcher29, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    I can't help overclocking, as long as it's stable, which it is. It's just ridiculous numbers. The only game to bring it down to earth a bit is the hot mess that is Cyberpunk.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Too bad you're having this problem. I can't help since I don't have this issue, all I can say is that I run the driver at stock (only thing I change is V-sync enabled since I have a G-sync monitory). I also always use DDU.

3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    12VHPWR connector: towards a V2?

If we read between the lines some of the information, it seems that it was Nvidia who twisted the arm of the PCI-SIG to force them to release an official design change for the 12VHPWR connector.
    Kopite7kimi even tells us that Jensen Huang, Nvidia’s CEO, will soon speak out about the whole thing…

[​IMG]

-> https://en.overclocking.com/we-felt...&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ReviveOldPost

Mei Meigi, TheDigitalJedi and chispy like this.
  4. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Guys , i think i have definitely found the culprit of the black screen while on iddle on my msi gaming trio rtx 4090. It is the motherboard Bios needs update for compatibility with rtx 4090 gpu's :( . I have troughly tested on my Asrock Z690 Aqua OC 2xDDR5 Dimm Slots and Asrock Z690 Steel Legend 4xDDR4 Dimm Slots and neither one of those two Intel Z690 resolved my issues with black screens and reboots while on idle even with clean windows 11 latest installation and updated everything. Those two Asrock boards will get a Bios update for compatibility just like my AMD am4 Asrock B550 Steel Legend did. I updated to the latest Bios of my am4 mobo with a fix for compatibility with rtx 4090 gpu's.

Now i'm testing on my third motherboard Asrock B550 Steel Legend with udated Bios with the fix for this problem of compatibility with rtx 4090 video cards , so far everything has been fixed on this platform am4.

Now my msi gaming trio rtx 4090 don't have any kind of problems running in normal mode on the drivers instead of performance , no black screen issues , no reboots , no driver errors , nothing , running smoots as butter.

If you still have this black screen problem i suggest you ask your motherboard vendor for support on a new Bios for compatibility with rtx 4090 video cards.

Here are screenshots of the video card running in normal settings in the driver power management mode + cpuz showing the new bios with the rtx 4090 fix from asrock + gpu-z downclocking perfectly and no black screens and reboots ever again, also a screenshot of the new Bios from Asrock download page with the fix for compatibility with the rtx 4090 video cards.

2.jpg 1.jpg

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    And then a general recall of all 4090s ;) :D

That's interesting. When I got my TUF I had a 1½ year old BIOS flashed on my X570 mobo and the 4090 worked without a hitch. I reflashed later anyway but so far no problem.

Thanks for your findings though, I hope it helps other people.

chispy and TheDigitalJedi like this.
  7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Was way more excited for the 3090 tbh - the 2080 ti had been really lackluster, and badly needed more performance in basically all games, which the 3090 gave. 4090 is technically speaking a more impressive card, but it didn't "close a hole" for me the same way the 3090 did. That and all the issues related to 4090's in general, and mine in particular, has really lowered the excitement level... actually i barely even play atm due to the coilwhine being so obnoxious.

Looking in the hind mirror i should just have returned it asap, got my money back, and gotten a model that is known to not have coilwhine. But too late for that now... now my only option is rma, in which i am very likely to get another card with just as bad coilwhine, and a process they estimate will take 2 months... or sell it, and try to get a different 4090 (although they are all completely sold out, unlike the crappy 4080's).

8. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Darn it @Dragam1337. I honestly and truly feel for you man. Out of all the different 4090 variations, the Strix and the MSI Suprim Liquid X are supposed to be the best models. Coilwhile should NOT be part of the equation.

The good thing is you could sell your 4090 and get all of your money back. Lowlife Scalpers are selling your card for almost 3 grand American. Selling your card at MSRP or maybe a tad below is definitely a great deal for another buyer. Some people are not bothered by Coilwhine.

For what it's worth, both of my Asus Tuf OCs have been extremely quiet and are great performers. I can comfortably OC these cards to 3ghz or just a tad over on the core no problem. My memory reached 11,600 before I got scared while benchmarking. If I clocked my cards to 3ghz on the core and 11,100 on the memory they would still be very comfortable with the amount of airflow I have. Both cards were still quiet. I only stopped OCing my cards because there was no need. The 4090 factory OC is more than enough for my games.

Just my thoughts on the Asus Tuf OC. You would still have 2 HDMI ports also.

I am indeed still extremely happy with my 3090 and my old system. I'll never forget playing Fallen Order, GOW and many others while being amazed at the IQ and framerates of the 3090. It's now becoming a workhorse. I'm finally getting my channel and other projects off the ground. It gets hard due to my day job requiring my time.

All the best man. I hope you get blessed with a quick replacement without issues or coilwhine.

9. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    @Netherwind is right. This is a great find and post.

Thank you @chispy.

chispy likes this.
  10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It really is luck of the draw, who the supplied the vrm's etc... seems that asus use several suppliers, and some are HORRIBLE for coilwhine, while others are fine... but imo it's simply UNACCEPTABLE that they didn't do quality control for coilwhine on all suppliers... just screams that they dont give a fack about the customers. But obviously they only sent the cards without terrible coilwhine to reviewers... -_-

Had i been able to get a somewhat decent gpu with no coilwhine (like a gigabyte) then i would have thrown this strix out the window right now, and bought one... but fact is that 4090's are completely sold out in denmark - not even the worst models are in stock anywhere. And at the same time it's the holiday period very soon, so would suck being without a gpu during that.

Also people claim that these 4090 strix cards lose the coilwhine over time... either i haven't used mine enough (cause of the obnoxious coilwhine), or people simply get deaf to the sound... either way, mine screams just as much as it did the first day i got it - no reduction in coilwhine what so ever.

Asus has deffo lost me as a customer going forward.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    southamptonfc likes this.

11. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I've settled on an undervolt. My card will do 2850mhz @ 1v.

That means it will never go much above 400W and in most games is closer to 350W.

I'm about 100mhz above stock while also using ~50W less.

This is where the 4090 is most impressive IMHO. In this config, it consumes fractionally more power than my 3080ti while delivering up to double the framerate and being much quieter.

Sounds like you're finally coming round to the Zotac way of thinking!

chispy, blurp33 and Krizby like this.
  12. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    That's some darn good efficiency @southamptonfc. Outside of Cyberpunk what is the most strenuous game application that pushes your 4090? These cards are delivering 50fps in Cyberpunk without DLSS and max settings at 4k which is friggin amazing!

I had to catch myself because I was becoming addicted. I have Metro Exodus. I'm going to load it up. I want to test it.

A plagues Tale Requiem is a beautiful game for our cards. To me it looks this/next gen. I'm anxious for Unreal Engine 5. I think a well-developed UE5 game will give our cards a challenge.

13. bombardier

bombardier Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 Phantom
    ..., the connector and 1000$ refund per video card! :)

southamptonfc likes this.
  14. Hmmm mid-gen connector change? That would be a first.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Oh, that's easy - the 4090 for sure. I bought the 3080 after owning the 2080Ti which wasn't the "4K" jumped I had hoped for. Later when the 3090 was announced, which was just 7-10% faster and cost more than double, I was super disappointed. So I kept my 3080 and didn't even look at the 3090Ti due to the extreme prices due to scalping/shipping/chip shortage. The 4090 is a masterful product and I can finally feel that the card can run every game I throw at it at monitor/tv max refresh rate.

Too bad it's so expensive, that's quite a letdown.

16. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    My 9900k means that, especially if using DLSS, I am likely to have some CPU bottlenecking. But the FPS is also likely to be 150+ so not really an issue :)

I haven't tried a lot else other than CP2007, rFactor2 and BF5.

I have Control & Death Stranding in my game backlog but haven't installed them yet.

Yep, CP2007 with RTX and the Spiderman demo show what is coming. I will not be happy if I have to switch RTX off to be able to hit 60FPS! When is the 5090 released??

17. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    add me to the 4090 club.. got myself a gigabyte gaming oc

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nvidia doesn't have any power to enact a recall of anything other than FE's.

There won't be a recall, tough to plug in power connectors are not a defect.

19. FR4GGL3

FR4GGL3 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    The important thing is to know what causes the issues. Because now we are able to check if we have done it right.

I mean, back in the days of AMD XP CPUs with an exposed DIE (they haven't had a Heatspreader), we had to be very carefull while settling and clamping those Coolers in order to not crack the DIE. Socket A (462) also had those weird noses on it which could easily be shared off if you didn't watch closely. My first NF7-S died because of this - I learned my lesson the hard way. I just want to say: you can't always make everything foolproof. Sometimes there needs to be some extra attention.

And as long as we know what we have to look after, it is fine for me.

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    It was a joke, good sir.