Review: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 Founder edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 15, 2022.

1. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    It's not just GPUs which are massively overpriced. Both the Intel and AMD new CPU series are expensive, but the high cost of the motherboards and DDR5 ram are prohibitive imo. I want a new system, but refuse to pay these costs. I will simply vote with my wallet. It's staying shut until prices come down. If that means holding onto my old Intel Hedt system, then so be it.

Embra, AlmondMan, Undying and 2 others like this.
  2. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Good performance, terrible price and value.
    AMD has a golden chance to hit nvidia hard with the 7900XTX ,and even that will be overpriced.

3. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I expect this is early special pricing, and when the 7900XTX hits prices will fall somewhat.

Just funny to see a 80 series card make a 90 series card look like a better deal :D

Either way skipping this gen, will wait on the 8000 and 50 series cards to what they bring to the table.

honestly the 4080 not looking at price is an impressive card, alright power draw, good perm vs last gen even beating the 3090ti but the price is just way out there, should of been 800/900, I know AIB would then make it £1000 but sounds far better than £1200 and AIB jump pricing it to £1400, at that point might as well try and get a founders 4090 xD

4. Meathelix1

Meathelix1 Master Guru

GPU:
    10x 3090ti 24G
    Yeah, its a decent card but for that price its a pile of crap. It also looks like Nvidia was not the only one with DLSS 3.0 Frame technology. I mean they always do this, and claim new tech as if they are the only ones developing it.

AMD and Intel now have the same tech.. guess Nvidia was not so special after all.

5. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Maybe take the tin foil hat off a bit, This won't do a thing to PC gaming... tech industry might suffer a tad (though considering people were buying double these prices from scalpers I doubt that as well), but PC gaming this won't affect it... Got to remember most people get 50-70 range cards, these top end are very niche. The most used card on Steam are the 1060, 2060 and 1650 (which is 18.72% of all users, almost 1/5) , these are all fairly old cards now, the 3080 has a market share of 1.76% 15th most used card very much down the list and not even a 10th of the users of just the top 3 not even counting the rest of the 11. PC gaming won't get affected at all, maybe if they do something stupid and make the 4050 £1000 and have the stack of up above that but even I doubt they'd do something that silly.

6. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    It's really not the same tech, yet. And also not as good, yet.

7. RyuzakiL

RyuzakiL Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX-1070
    Thanks for the enlightening review of this trash from Nvidia . This just made me realized my wisest buying decision I've ever made being a PC enthusiast (for the best price/performance) over the years:

- Geforce 9600 GT
    - Radeon HD 7850
    - GTX 1070
    - RTX 3080

It seems Ngreedia doesn't want to repeat making another GTX 1070 or RTX 3080 price wise thus we have a trash in the form of RTX 4090 and 4080. I have the means to buy a couple of those but it so happen I have a brain thus this series is a pass for me. Will look forward on the official reviews on AMD's next gen GPUs.

8. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    They just launched this card only to make the price of the 4090 look not that crazy, and people are falling to realize

Valken likes this.
  9. Have we really reached that point when Titan cards make more economical sense? Heck even power efficiency per frame rendered is slightly better on the 4090. This card is just a mistake.

Valken and Undying like this.
  10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Remember when MLID said this was originally going to be named the 4070 and everyone responded "NO U"? Regardless of what he got wrong in the past, it's obvious this is not this gen's real 80 class card.

I hope this dogshit ends up melting like the 4090. Even if it does and it's well known, along with being recognized as the 4070 it is, people are still going to gobble it up regardless of what AMD offer. Baffling.

It doesn't matter that Jensun literally said in an investor meeting "We're going to frack everyone over with the pricing of all the next gen products to force sales of previous gen cards", everyone still wants to toss nVidia's salad, I'll never understand this fanaticism. What ever happened to wanting to get actual value for your money?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
    lukas_1987_dion likes this.

11. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Brand loyalty is nothing new and its not exclusive to NVidia or even the computer industry. There is also an element of lazyness in that people find it easier to stick with what they know, this happens with ISP, online entertainment providers, cars sales etc etc.

Picolete likes this.
  12. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I cant remember where i read it but apparently there has been a PC gaming boom in Japan recently, typically a console stronghold. Ive been seeing these "PC gaming in dead" comments for decades, it wont happen as long as there is such a strong following for PC dedicated game types like RTS and flight sims as well as the typical adventure and FPS styles.

Maddness and sozuoka like this.
  13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Obviously, but what I'm saying is that it's insane the level it goes to with nGreedia fans. I can't think of another example where a company could just crap in the faces of their customers as hard as they do, and they just carry on worshipping the company as if nothing bad happened.

I'm so sick and annoyed of their BS that at this point I'll probably just buy Radeon cards out of spite if I have an option. They've hit Intel territory for me; with CPUs I'm an "anything-but-Intel enjoyer", at this point for GPUs I'm turning into an "anything-but-nGreedia enjoyer". Yes, that'd even include Intel GPUs if they put out a good product for the price.

Undying and lukas_1987_dion like this.
  14. sozuoka

sozuoka Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070 laptop 8GB
    I mean, your old system is probably still fine. New platforms, especially with new RAM type will always have higher cost (remember DDR3 or DDR4 early adoption?). But for gaming, CPU is not really a bottleneck for most users, anything from last 3 generations of Intel/AMD is fine and I don't see any reason to upgrade right away now.
    Not to mention the e-sports title like LOL/Dota/CSGO/Valorant/etc. with massive fanbase, and all of them are PC exclusive.

Maddness and pegasus1 like this.
  15. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I have never seen so much talk about AMD in Nvidia gpu reviews all in all. It's clear that Nvidia is out of touch.

16. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    We need ANOTHER GTX1060/1070(Or HD4850/HD78XX) not another FPS monster.

Airbud likes this.
  17. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    The most anti fanboy comment ever :D

18. Snorgrind

Snorgrind Member

GPU:
    MSI 4070ti Ventus
    When I opened nvidia's website it said starting at 1600e, since when is $1200=1600e even if you use $=e and add VAT you will get around 1450e

Should I expect MSI or ASUS cards start at 1700e or something ? And what is with the size of this card, TUF says 3,65 slot and Strix 3,5 slot I can fit 3 slot max in my PC :eek:

Seems like leather jacket man lost his marbles with this generation :D

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    It will go down to $999 when 7900 cards are released. Jensen just trying to milk it until then.

20. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    If the DLSS3 version of Cyberpunk isn't riddled with bugs, howcome it hasn't been released yet?

DLSS3 is very much a paper launch which I guess is reasonable but then they big it up with these "reviewer beta" versions. It's a bit sketchy imho.