AMD Lines up Radeon RX 7900 series to GeForce RTX 4080

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 14, 2022.

1. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Yep, AMD messed up the price of the XT, it should sit at around 800USD, 850USD tops....

2. Ivrogne

Ivrogne Master Guru

GPU:
    a GPU
    Because that's exactly what they're after IMO. Make the cheaper product the have worse value and make people buy the more expensive one.
    I kinda expect the XT version will drop in price first after both parties reveal all their lineups IMO.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  3. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4090 Strix
    I really hope, Jensen thinks like you, would love to see a 4090 trim down to 16gb and called 4080ti at $1300.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  4. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    I suspect that AMD is reluctant to complicate matters for their board partners who have 6900 XT and 6950 XT products to move. Here in the United States, both of those cards, new, drop right into that sub-$900 USD space. I'm interested to see how the AIB partners mangle that $100 difference between the XT and XTX. Could get ugly...

Wow. I couldn't agree more.

While I certainly see the solid logic in Wault's reply to Serotonin's cogent remark, as I see it, so many of the so-called AAA titles, both released and in the pipeline, have that, "Haven't I already played this, like, nine times before?" stench about them.

While the hardware might be having a hard time keeping pace with game-engine graphics, both are running rings around the unimaginative, moribund dreck emerging from a lot of game developer studios.

Acquiring an upscale graphics card for gaming purposes for quite some time has seemed, in a way, as the equivalent of buying a beautiful antique Morris chair for your den or library, resplendent in fine leather and beautiful mahogany, and then simply using it to sit and read some trashy tabloid.

I don't think spending four-figures for a graphics card to play some future retread such as, Lara Croft: Psychotic Murderess is warranted. I love the hardware; I simply wish we had more worthwhile entertainment software to somewhat justify it's often high cost.

5. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Lives in his mums basement.
    Longtime member of a tech forum
    Thinks he's an expert on running a $12.4 billion tech company.
    . fat-gamer.jpg

carnivore, Undying, barbacot and 4 others like this.
  6. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    AMD (nvidia is not allergic to money either) wants to push low end cards into 400 range so they can start selling APU equivalents for 200. AMD already left low end market on CPU side, I do not expect 2200/3200G value will happen again. On top of it, someone has to pay for all those millions in bonuses for executives...

Picolete and AlmondMan like this.
  7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah but I don't smoke anymore... and I got rid of that hanger. No need.

DannyD, carnivore, Maddness and 5 others like this.
  8. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    You ok mate? Need a blue pill? hahahaha

9. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    Honestly I think the 7900 cards are priced too high. Most people will just pay the extra few hundred and get a 4080 for the better features and ray tracing. Nvidia has that brand recognition and people spend more for a slower Nvidia card already. Those 7900 cards need to be $7-800 to convince people to switch to AMD, in my opinion of course.

AlmondMan likes this.
  10. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    It's possible waiting for respin that fixes the issues with the NV31 dies hitting 3GHz reliably.

Wault likes this.

11. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Exactly..I don't know why they even bothered with RT. Seems that AMD can't make a card that plays RT games at acceptable frame rates and there is no excuse if you look at Nvidia improvement from first to second gen RT.

My opinion is that AMD pooped on AMD parade with these cards...everybody was waiting for them to crush Nvidia and with big expectations comes big disappointment.
    Second place is the first looser and they settled with second place.

Before even contemplating buying something I still wait for real reviews to see temps, noise and some benchmarks that are not handpicked by the company that produced the card.

Maddness, AuerX and Valken like this.
  12. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    The leaked RT performance shows me to either buy the 6900XT or go for the 4090 RTX depending on what games I wll play at 4K.

Even FSR on the 6900XT should be enough or go full phat RTRT. There is nothing else in between really for the price unless there will be 4080 Ti.

Probably better to just wait another 2 RT generations.

Backstabak and Maddness like this.
  13. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    Dropping $1K or so on a card with pretty low end RT performance is a bit rough.

It seems this gen will be a repeat of last gen. Was hoping for a little more, guess the chiplets werent all that after all.

Edit: Just want to add that a AMD 7900 series would have been a perfect fit for my SFF system and I wouldnt have had to change a thing, direct swap. But I play some RT games and really enjoy it and I dont want to give up on that. AMD got everything right but blew it on RT and FSR (as for now at least).

14. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    If you can find it at a decent price and you want the best, fastest all tech included 4090 is the way to go - future proof for many years - I can't image what game could knock off this card in the next 2 - 5 years (4k res) and it is actually more efficient than 3090 Ti. AMD...is still playing catch up - I see that they copied Nvidia tech with the tensor cores also - good - it's much better than what they had before but Nvidia is far far away developing this also...too bad for the MCM design that everybody was seeing like the second coming of Christ. Very cheap cards, performance to the sky..but it's the same AMD: "Wait for our next generation - this time we will rock!" - we've seen this with vega , polaris, etc.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Kind of weird to mention chiplets here. They are effectively allowing AMD to compete against a much more expensive process and don't really contribute to RT performance. Build the same chip monolithically and its more expensive and RT performance is probably identical.

Wault likes this.

16. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    If it is so much cheaper then its reasonable to expect the cards to be a whole lot cheaper too no?

Wault likes this.
  17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Not really? I don't know where the 4080 is going to fall but if I was AMD (or any company really) I'd price my cards competitive to market and any cost savings keep for myself instead of passing onto the customer.

Picolete likes this.
  18. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Should have been $699 which it might end up there after some competition. All these prices from Nvidia and AMD feel like place holders until next year when they have their full next gen stacks out.

19. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    A bit. It shows if you want RT you will need to be running with FSR ON.

Wault likes this.
  20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    In the end it depends on the value we give to RT.

Those who want good RT performance are going with Nvidia, those who don`t care about it, can go with AMD and save some coin.

Right now, i prefer AMD´s approach.