Radeon RX 7900 Series Will compete with GeForce RTX 4080, not 4090 says AMD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
    386SX likes this.
  2. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Gamers don't care about monsters like RTX4090 , no one needs them. We need affordable 300$ cards with 3060ti performance.

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    There are all kinds of gamers around, not just a single, uniform bunch. There are gamers with a practically unlimited budget, who might also need the GPU for something else than gaming, so the more power they have, the better. Then there are gamers who only play selectively very light esports titles, where an iGPU can be almost enough. And everything between these two extremes.

tunejunky, Picolete and Maddness like this.
  4. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    The gamers that matters , the masses . For industry to grow we need fast and cheap GPU . Without that there will be no next gen games as there willl be no hardware to run it.

AlmondMan likes this.

5. Chert

Chert Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060ti
    Sounds about right... On pure raster performance, the 7900XTX should be around 15% faster than the 4080 while the 7900XT will be trading blows on an even level with the 4080. Good thing here is that both these AMD 7900 series cards are priced below the US$ 1200 MSRP of the 4080.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  6. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I'm waiting for 500$ card.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ah, the classic gatekeeper argument.

8. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    It's valid . Very expensive GPUs are stagnating industry. Where are next gen games ? How far are we past console releases ? Progress is much slower than last generation.

AlmondMan likes this.
  9. Jenda

Jenda Guest

GPU:
    6700XT 12GB
    OFC, like the AMD could catch NV....
    We know that for long.
    I cant wait to switch from red to green soon.
    Really pissed of drivers. Last usable for me: 22.4.2 and that is half year old driver.

10. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Never had single issue with AMD drivers . I'm liviing in alternate universe ?

AlmondMan likes this.

11. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    No this is not the classic gatekeeper.
    This is common sense.

Gatekeeper argument would be you don't need this card because you are not a true gamer. Right?
    Or if you don't buy a 4090 are you a gamer at all?

The fact is that pushing the a 1600$ product ( base price ) as gaming, is deceiving. Yes you can play games with it, but probably the 99.5% of kids with a 1440p monitor wouldn't even see the difference if overnight you swap it with a 3070ti. The games are smooth and are saturating your screen refresh cap.

The 4090 is a tech gem probably, doesn't mean the gaming industry gain anything from it.
    the 8000$ dollar PCs or the gamers with no budget cap are few vocal people on youtube that make a living from it.
    For pc gaming, you want people able to afford with 1000$ a full PC able to do better than an a XBOX series X.

The 7900xt is pricey to me too, no 500$ card at launch, at least the 3070 for 499 was announced 2 years ago.

carnivore, AlmondMan, Solfaur and 2 others like this.
  12. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    The `unusable driver` argument are often depending on particular hardware configurations. So for some people drivers just works good, for some there is some weird frame rate issue or i don't know screen flickering.
    With no more details added ( apart the `for me` part) is impossible to say what is going on.

tunejunky likes this.
  13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'm sure they'll save the "big" chip for later. It will be very interesting to see if AMD guess is correct or not. On the other hand the 4080s price is so strange that it's bound to receive a price cut if it turs out that the 7900XTX (what a weird name) is faster.

14. Crazy Joe

Crazy Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090/24GB
    Huh? It's the lowest common denominator GPU users that keeps games from moving to next gen graphics, not the high end ones. For instance War Thunder for years didn't upgrade their game engine because they wanted to keep the old notebook players able to play their game. This sort of stagnation is not caused by the latest and greatest GPU's, it is caused by developers catering to the crowd that has bought the cheapest of the cheap entry level cards and holding on to them for as long as they can.

The other leading cause of stagnation is the "easy console port" mentality of some developers, where they don't want to do more than direct port over the console version as is.

tunejunky, AuerX and pegasus1 like this.
  15. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    If you want to capture the largest possible sales base, then produce a product that is relevant to that sales base. A card like the 4090 is largely irrelevant to the mass gaming market as the bulk of game buyers dont use 4k with maximum Rt, they dont have a £200 PSU or £600 CPUs. The 4090 and all other top tier cards are examples of what can be achieved. How many CSGO players are selling a kidney for a 4090?
    In fact i wouldn't be surprised if the real goldmine is in mobile gaming, ie phones and tablets, everybody has a phone.

16. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    what kind of problem do you have with your drivers? last time i had driver problems using an AMD gpu was like 5 years ago

AlmondMan likes this.
  17. beedoo

beedoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6900XT Liquid Devil
    You're probably not wrong, but I don't have any games on my phone or tablet, nor is it likely I'll ever play games on either of them.

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Are you serious? nvidia latest drivers are literally broken.

AlmondMan likes this.
  19. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Trolls will be trolls...

tunejunky likes this.
  20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Im sure hotfix for hotfix is on its way. :p