RTX 4090 Owner's thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Witcher29, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no cables are causing meltings, user errors are.

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    You are walking on a very thin line here.

4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Aluminium not copper that's why, copper better handles Amperes.... Alu is garbage ;) (not much of a cost difference in this kind of thingy).

Note;
    In my house i have all electric lines in copper :p

5. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    My 3080 is still working as intended i might hang out on this one until nvidia and third party board partners are solving this issue.
    A small chance 2.5k can be gone into flames i am not waiting for that to happen.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    for what? not jumping on board the hysterics and calling a low number of issues for what they are?

There were issues when the first PCIE 8 pin cables started being used, youtubers and no longer credible tech sites fanning flames without any counter doesn't help anyone and the video's that are disproving the posed theories aren't getting shared enough.

One of them can't even get shared here because of an old grudge.

I guess i could just do a link dump of melting cables over the last 10 years, where supplied.

GoldenTiger and ZebMacahan like this.
  7. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Its getting more widespreaded, Imagine in the back of your head your 4090 can melt the cable anytime @ any moment. Nah i dont wanne risk that. Imagine u benchmarking and u not home then what will happen ? if this happens. And no its no user error its something from either nvidia or third party developers they have to fix this quick now.

8. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    You claimed the burns are because of user error. Aren't you the guy who hates misinformation being spread, well this is just that. No info has been communicated yet that is a user error at all.

Witcher29 and Dragam1337 like this.
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Is it though?

There are users claiming melted cables on the reddit megathread that do not have melted cables at all, rather chipped or cracked plastic due to mishandling.

I know exactly what card that is in the image, and i've seen submitted user images where the power connector is not sitting completely in its socket, despite the latch being in place, I will change my stance for that card to being both user error and the AIB ignoring nvidia's directive to use the amphenol receptacle.

I'm not just pullin it out my rear end here, like igor and jay were with their theoreticals = reality nonsense videos

Users are actually posting up videos and images of their plugged in adapters and in too many cases is the adapter not seated properly,

The pin damage being observed happens when these pins are exceeding 180-200 degree's celcius and the nylon begins to break down from the inside out.

Here is the product info for the amphenol plastic housings on both sides, when used together, the pins are snug and fully in place when the clip latches, there is no gap remaining, and yes they can be quite tough to push in that last few mm's.

https://www.amphenol-cs.com/product-series/minitek-pwr-cem-5-pcie.html

Also, if the psu oems and cable mod are using an alternative supplier for the male housing, this can cause the same fitting issues even if the aib is using the recommended amphenol receptacle, the cable head should always sit flush in the receptacle though, even if theres some give on the clip.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
  10. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    There are cases without any adapter at all just straight cable from the PSU.

11. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    Pretty holding off until next year. Bots have pretty much taken over Amazon and can’t get my hands on a FE or gigabyte or asus card. Definitely not putting my hard earned money in a scalpers palms. Oh well I’ll build my 13900k 4090 build when prices and stock stabilize

12. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    No harm in waiting. Supplies will normalize in the new year and with that so will the prices. Also by then we'll know more facts about the connector issue and maybe there will be v2 revision from AIBs with fixed coil whine and connector improvements. Connector issue is now dominating the 4090 news, but coil whine is also a massive issue with 4090.

13. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    Been using the Corsair two 8-pin 600 watt power adapter with their ax1600i psu with no concerns. Honestly, (like I would say dishonestly), coil whine is a non-factor. Be it that my hearing is a player or that it just goes to “white noise” quickly or just not there as to be noticeable/annoying. Being married for 49 years puts me into the headphones crowd also. (Corsair virtuosos). Lovin’ life otherwise.

Glottiz and TheDigitalJedi like this.
  14. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Master Guru

I have to agree with @Astyanax that it isn't really widespread and some do appear to be user error. Some pics of the card from users show cables that clearly weren't fully inserted.

With at most a hundred posts of burnt ones (and I'm not sure of there even being that many, but let's assume since not everyone will post) out of 100,000 units shipped out, that's a 0.1% incidence rate. That is nothing to be scared of or that should generate the hysteria we're seeing.

Just my two cents.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  15. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Fellow Gurus, our brother @Astyanax does have a strong argument when we are looking at the overall numbers. As @GoldenTiger pointed out, if we are looking at a 0.1% ratio.......fellas.......that is extremely low. It truly sucks for users who've experienced the woes and hopefully they get their cards replaced soon.

We have the Cablemods now and their becoming more available. We have an alternative which is a good thing.

My Cablemods are on their way.

***Side note***

The Jedi is getting better with his benchmarking.

https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1856040

16. kill007

kill007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF
    Looks like gainwind has told all stores in AU to stop selling till an updated cable is being released, so some stores in AU are holding the GPU till the cable replacement is provided.

17. kill007

kill007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF
    True, but there is no harm in discussing it either, no need to always jump the jay2cgun either.

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Lucky you. I've got this ~1 year old RM850x PSU and my first TUF card had terrible whine so I bought a brand new ASUS Strix 1000W PSU just to see what would happen. The result was : no difference. In the end I replaced my TUF with another card which doesn't have any coil whine.

However, let's not forget that not everyone is browsing Reddit and even fewer are posting about cable problems, so there could be a lot of undocumented cases :(

19. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Thank you for your sacrifice and providing us with much needed data on this subject. I always knew coil whine blame game that GPU makers like pass onto others was BS. It's not PSUs that are at fault, it's not some magic fairy dust, it's simply badly, cheaply made GPUs.

For reference I also had a 4090 TUF and it had terrible coil whine.

20. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Just an update on my adapter, just replaced it 30mins ago with the CableMod psu cable, after the abuse the adapter endured it's looking pretty solid. I think there was just a very small number of bad batches out in the wild. I'm gonna be pissed if the CableMod one screws up now :D

TheDigitalJedi and Krizby like this.