RTX 4090 Owner's thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Witcher29, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Haven't returned it yet as i wanted to try 4 PCIe cables and also the 12VHPWR one (which I'm doubting will ever arrive). Today I'll try the Gigabyte and if it works fine, I'll promptly return the TUF.

Ah OK.

I'll report my findings later today.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Haven't you exceeded the window where you can just return it and get a refund ?

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    When I talked to support they said I got 30 days :)

Got the Gigabyte in my hand but I'm still waiting for the fourth PCIe cable which should be delivered soon.

4. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Ya dont need the fourth cable to test it :)

Throw it in and test it out ! ;)

TheDigitalJedi likes this.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    frack yeah! Gigabyte wins!

I'm so happy to report that the coil whine on my new Gigabyte Gaming OC is ever so slight and vastly better than on the TUF (which I'll return ASAP). Finally the coil whine problem is off the table.

General thoughts about the card - It doesn't look as premium as the TUF due to the plastic shroud. The LED rings are cool but unfortunately don't show that well since I don't use a vertical mount. The fan curves are not great, in Quiet mode the fans only start spinning at 60C which isn't great since they ramp up in a fairly audible way and when the card is cooled they stop spinning, but then the card temp may go back up to 60C which makes the fans ramp up again and so fort. Performance mode isn't good either since the fans spin faster and are fairly loud to be honest. The TUF fan profile was much better in comparison. The bracket is very cool and clever but took some time to install. Silicon quality probably isn't that good as the card only boosts to 2730 MHz out of the box (just like my TUF non-OC)

Sorry for shitty pics, but I was in a hurry (RGB isn't synced but that's because RGB Fusion and Trident Z Lightning Control don't like each other.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just wanted to be sure that it wasn't the cables :D

I hurried so much that I forgot to uninstall the drivers before removing the TUF :D Not sure if I should do it now or not as things seem to work OK tbh :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
  6. FR4GGL3

FR4GGL3 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thank you for your thoughts. Yes, the Cooler of the TUF is a Masterpiece. But I simply coudn't stand the coil whine.
    As my old case is really oooold (CM Cosmos S from idk 2007?) I will go to the Fractal Torrent. That should help the Gigabyte 4090. That is the plan.

Netherwind likes this.
  7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Dont bother with drivers - for all intents and purposes, it's an identical card.

However, im not surprised you find the gigabyte lower quality, both in terms of build quality, fan profiles etc.

But it does seem like it's the higher quality cards (strix, surprim, tuf... in that order) suffering the most from coil whine, which is quite ironic.

Glad for you that you are rid of the god awful coilwhine though :)

Netherwind likes this.
  8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I've looked a lot at that case as well :) And the Gigabyte bracket is perfect for that purpose. The TUF "stick" wouldn't work as there are fans at the bottom of the Torrent.

I reinstalled anyway just to be sure :D But you're right of course.

About build quality, another thing that's weird is that the fans aren't spinning at the same RPM according to MSI AB. Not sure if intended or not? Yea, it's super ironic that the high quality cards use parts that are more prone to coil whine :eek:

Man, the relief when I launched CP2077 and pretty much don't hear anything...I was so nervous before I put in the card. Honestly I don't care about the lower quality details just as long as the card doesn't whine, yes I'm that sensitive to such sounds :) Sure, I have to use a custom fan profile but I can live with that as I've had one with my old MSI since launch (that fan profile was also bad as it was too quiet = hot card). Tried a tiny bit of OC +225 Core, +1200 Mem, 100% core voltage and 133% Power target which resulted in a 3030MHz boost. Not great but I won't OC anyway :) This setting yielded up to 520W power draw in 3D Mark (~750W total system power) so that's a bit much hehe.

I'll have to test more today. Maybe I can go back to 180Hz on my monitor? So far I had to lock it to 144Hz to reduce the whine on the TUF ever so slightly.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
    GoldenTiger, FR4GGL3 and Dragam1337 like this.
  9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I will get a new atx 3.0 psu first - if that doesn't help (which is most likely wont), then i will send in my strix for replacement, when hopefully they get some 4090 strix's in stock (which they most likely wont).

10. FR4GGL3

FR4GGL3 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I've just ordered an ASUS ROG Thor 1000W PSU. Just because of the HPWR Cable. 450W is enough for me. And so I can built it into the new Case without ripping everything apart a few weeks later.
    It is an insane amount of money. But man, this 4090 triggers something inside me. Brain: off

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm wondering, did anyone of you come across something like a comparison table on coil whine and which cards (4090s) involved? For future buying reference.

DannyD likes this.
  12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    How many days do you have left before you must send it back (öppet köp)? Or will you do a normal RMA?

Yea, it's crazy. I started thinking about the 13700K including mobo and DDR5 yesterday :D I won't do it of course but the 4090s price changes ones perspective. But there are still limits, I would never give more than 300€ for a mobo or more than 250€ for a 1000W PSU.

No but that would be very interesting to read. I guess someone would have to get one of each card on the market ::D

13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    No, but from all the comments i've seen various places, the strix seems to suffer from it the most, followed by the surprim and tuf.

14. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I only had 14 days to return it and get my money back, so that's long past. Will have to be a normal RMA, sadly.

15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah, my impression as well, Asus does seem to have issues with that. Although I'm fully aware that it's the combination of hardware that creates coil whine in the first place, and thus subjective to each system on it's own, I'd still be curious about generic stats.

Anybody willing to participate in the "study", please let me know via PM, I might just as well write it down at some point :D

DannyD likes this.
  16. kill007

kill007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  18. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
  19. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    0E0CA8F3-8F1C-45E9-9D22-DCC832E232F4.jpeg
    Just dicking around a little and thought I would share. Keep in mind I am 71 and have hearing aids, :>), this is my thoughts so far concerning MY 4090 tiro X.

OTB (out of the box): All you need for most everything, gaming and what not. Card switch set to Gaming. Quiet to me. Spy, 31404

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/32020669

Next. 5 days later, I know it is not the same class benchmark, OPS, (old people sh!t ((syndrome)), but here is the modest oc score for Port Royal, still pretty damn quiet, 27,012:

http://www.3dmark.com/pr/1846808

Really pleased with my second choice. I really wanted the msi 4090 suprim lq, but could only rob two banks vice three.

P.S.
    How do I get brighter detailed pics? Guru3d tells me file to big.......

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
  20. skylineGTR34

skylineGTR34 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1650/1660 SUPER
    Got a Asus RTX 4090 TUF OC card last week.Just looking forward to when i get the new calble from cablemods, so i can get rid of that awful adaptor Nvidia think was a good idea. But in realty is ugly and a fire hazard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    .Beautiful rig, envious. Just one rigger to another, things maybe to look at to improve the badassness. Go AIO on CPU, opens vast amount of cool down area. Lose all the SSD SATA drives, I know, hard to imagine, but modern motherboards gives you more than enough to thrive with pcie drives. Lose all the “got to have fans” and go with your instinct, Honestly, your rig looks really great but a bit cluttered.