AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.10.3 - Driver download and discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Macer, Oct 28, 2022.

1. Macer

Macer Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
  2. illusiveman

illusiveman Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    That's one of the features....And I don't think it's relevant here. I put a link earlier from nvidia that explains it better. I think this is related to independent timings when a game/app whatever is displayed in a window ( not in full screen).
    I'll put the quote here:
    "Prior to driver version 461.09, only a single plane was available to the OS. The Desktop Windows Manager (DWM) would composit the contents from all the windows and then present everything at the refresh rate cadence. This means that tearing was avoided by DWM design even without V-Sync.

However, driver version 461.09 and later supports multiplane overlay (MPO). (MPO provides benefits, such as reduced latencies, for gaming in windowed mode.) With multiplane overlay, the application is allowed to present its contents independently and with its own V-Sync setting. The OS, outside of driver control, decides which apps get promoted to their own MPO plane. If V-Sync is OFF, then there will be tearing (even in windowed mode) because, as in full-screen mode, there is now no desktop compositor controlling the presentation. Setting V-Sync OFF now has the same effect in windowed apps as it does for full-screen apps."

3. Because turning it off seems to be a solution to some issues.

NVIDIA had a MPO knowledge base page up for a while. I didn't think AMD used it or had issues with it if they did, but Radeon Setup Tool added a MPO toggle recently that got me interested.

4. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    "Brief display corruption may occur when switching between video and game windows on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6700 XT."

Can someone explain to me how it looks like? I just had some kind of greenish line during tabbing between Browser and Game (6600XT). Didn't have it before and couldn't reproduce it. Is that it?
    And if so is there a way to reproduce it?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022

5. Cryio

Cryio Master Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    Holy Moses, yeah. I've noticed that. Some time ago, playing in Windowed/Borderless meant no tearing, due to DWM forced Vsync. It was glorious. More recently, I've noticed tearing in Bordeless games and it was driving me mad. Didn't understand what was happening.

illusiveman likes this.
  6. illusiveman

illusiveman Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    Yeah...I think this feature is causing black screens, stutters whatever for some people. I don't have any issue so it remains a mistery why not all systems are affected.

7. Macer

Macer Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    Hello! Recently updated some content.

If you have some issues with flickering and blackscreens, you can refer to the following solutions:

Disabling MPO (Multiplace Overlay) can improve some desktop apps flicker or stutter issues.
    • Stuttering or screen flickers may occur during video playback using hardware acceleration with Chrome.
    • Blackscreens may occur when alt tabbing from game (or Apps. Like Whatsapp) to browser that has video on loop.
    • Some desktop apps may flicker or stutter when resizing the window on some PC configurations.
    These issues still affect some people. You can try disabling MPO (Multiplace Overlay) to improve the situation.

The MPO (Multiplace Overlay) toggle has been added to the latest version of the Radeon Setup Tool.

Of course you can also disable MPO (Multiplace Overlay) manually. Methods as below:

Download the registry file "mpo_disable.reg" from the HERE section below and proceed to double-click on the file to add it to your system registry. This registry file will disable multiplane overlay. After adding the registry file, reboot your PC to complete the changes. If the flicker persists, you may restore multiplane overlay by downloading the file "mpo_restore.reg" and then proceed to double-click on the file to add it to your registry.

Reference solution:https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5157

Feedback the results here, I'd be very grateful!

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    The AMD equivalents are SOC, VDDP and VDDG.
    However having them too high can cause idle system instability so you want to find the sweet spot.

SOC at around 1.1 V, VDDP at around 1000 mV and VDDG at around 1050 mV should be a generally good start.
    Some have stabilized their system with lower voltages though, especially by dropping VDDG and VDDP.

Also the maximums for VDDx voltages are determined by SOC and VDIMM as VDDx can approach but not exceed those values.
    Forgot which depended on which though but should be indicated in BIOS descriptions.

(Fairly sure it was VDDP < SOC and VDDG < VDIMM)

Exostenza likes this.
  9. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    This needs to be in it's own thread so it doesn't get buried with new driver releases. You should make a thread and hopefully it can get stickied. That would allow this discussion to continue in one place and have all the relevant information available in one place to people who need it rather than having it spread out over a bunch of driver release threads. If this helps people get over their black screen issues this is going to be fantastic news and much deserving of its own thread.

10. Blisk

Blisk Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900XTX
    MPO in general has been around for a while. RGBMPO support was introduced in Adrenalin in 22.5.2.

11. Banana4Nanners

Banana4Nanners Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT
    These drivers kind of suck tbh. 900point drop in DX12 timespy and a noticeable 5-10fps in game performance ( highs not lows ) on my 6900XT vs 10.2

12. Cryio

Cryio Master Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    Now I'm gonna ask what's RGBMPO, lol.

13. Blisk

Blisk Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900XTX
    Out of interest, are you accounting for shader cache behaviour?

14. Ojref

Ojref Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 7900 XTX
    Had no idea AMD went woke

pegasus1 likes this.
  15. Cp0

Cp0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Liquid Dev 7900 XTX
    Explains why things are unstable since 22.5.2, but why even have this most users run 10 bit color depth at which point MPO does not engage and cause issues, neither does it trigger the issues when the apps are fully on 2e screen.

16. Blisk

Blisk Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900XTX
    ???
    Has worked fine for me so far & I don't think the bpc setting affects RGBMPO's behaviour It's (enabled on RGB8 and RGB10). Better supports multiple planes (gaming in fullscreen with OS / app overlays etc) and doing so with power efficiency in mind. It probably helps with HDR too but my displays HDR is kind of bad so I leave that off.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  17. Banana4Nanners

GPU:
    6800XT
    Yep. It's also a performance drop from 10.3 RC3

18. Macer

Macer Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
  19. Blisk

Blisk Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900XTX
    strange. I presume this was a clean install? What kind of you say X FPS but what is that as a % to what you were seeing? Does this drop occur across different gfx APIs?

20. Banana4Nanners

GPU:
    6800XT
    3%ish drop and yes it's a clean install across both DX11 and DX12. However this drop did not occur on my 6800XT only my 6900XT on a Ryzen system while the other is Intel + 6800 XT. Swapping back to 10.3 RC3 or 10.2 the performance jumps back to where it was previously.