AMD Alledgedly Cuts Down Ryzen 7000 productions due to lacking demand

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 17, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    God forbid they lowered prices.

3. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Too expensive and a bit pointless to gamers, maybe only content creators that rely on time to make money.
    5800X3D can't be beaten, Zen 4 or RPL not going to change it, maybe only 7000X3D with the right pricing.

HonoredShadow, toyo, Keitosha and 5 others like this.
  4. Pryme

Pryme Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800 SWFT
    OH NO! Anyway...

EspHack, toyo, Undying and 1 other person like this.

5. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    Most people wont just shell out 2000+ euros on a system with inflation being sky high.

XenthorX, toyo, Fediuld and 2 others like this.
  6. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Most people don't have reason to update, also almost any AM4 platform can be updated to ZEN3....

Fediuld and Silva like this.
  7. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
  8. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    When released, 3000 series were no-brainer. Similarly, 5950X & friends were wiped the floor with Intel CPUs and were significantly better than the previous (still great) AMD ones.
    5800X3D looked kinda meh for the potential 5950X audience, but it's shown completely different level of gaming performance.

Then 7000 series was released and... I didn't preorder (I preordered 5950X, and it was a safe buy) because of higher TDP, and rumors about even greater power usage + that Intel might be as good or even better. On top of that, I have serious heat issues in my home, and seeing how efficient is my brother's 5950X, it was a tough sell. Another reason was in the benchmarks. The result were great, even awesome, but 5800X3D was ahead in some of them.

If there was no 5800X3D, I'd probably buy 7950X right away.

Extra cache in 7950 didn't translate to beating the last (side?) gen in every way possible. This was mostly 5800X3D, not Intel rumors, which made me wait for the official Intel reviews, and possibly some 79x0X3D in the future. My initial plan was grabbing 7950X, mobo, RAM, some spare PSU, any graphics, and wait for nVidia 4000 series / AMD. But planning is planning, and the execution is that I waited, I saw 4900 benchies, 4900/4800 specs, and after calculation, I'm still on 8700K @ 4.5GHz all cores + GTX 1080. I hate to buy something which is "not great". Like buying has-to-be-great stuff, when 2 days later you can buy much better stuff for the same $$$ or less. Or something I bought turns out to be turd. The new rig would cost me around or maybe even north of €5k. For this amount it has to be awesome with little regrets, aside from the price.

7950X tragedy is that despite being unbelievably great, it could disappoint me and similar buyers.

----
    @AuerX - silica?

9. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Providing games make use of the cache, the division 2 does not benefit so I`ll stick with my 5800x and Msi 3080 SuprimX for the next year or so.

moab600 likes this.
  10. blackcar2107

blackcar2107 Member

GPU:
    ASUS 9800 GT 512 MB
    Well I personally pre order 13600 KF for same price like 7600X waiting for MSI Z790 Tomahawk to be on sales to finish my pc upgrade ddr5 renegade 6400 c32 and to use my 2y.o. old aorus 3070 ( old 8600k @4.5. go to rest )

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    So long as they keep these prices, who would be interested? These are the prices I would expect of X3D models.

Most people who wanted to upgrade already have.

xIcarus, H83, tunejunky and 1 other person like this.
  12. sfdmark

sfdmark Active Member

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080ti OC
    Truth is an upgrade now to the new platforms is way too expensive for many of us. You need like 2K+ € for a mobo+cpu+ddr5 . I don't think that atm many people are willing to pay such amount of money for upgrading a ryzen 9 5950x to a 7950x. or a 12900K to a 13900K, although the later can be an option since you don't have necessarily change mobo. But then again both teams previous generation cpu provide enough horsepower and can easily last longer. To be fair I expect low sales for intel i9 s as well for the reasons explained previously. Things could look better for i5s and i7s.
    What is more concerning for us is that I can't see how prices can roll back and to my eyes they will never go back to rational levels although cpu prices remained alsost the same not to say lower than previous gen of processors.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  13. Domingo

Domingo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 (Gigabyte)
    The question is and probably always has been: How many "content creators" are there that truly benefit from the specific tasks these newer processors do so well? Of those, how many do these functions endlessly (and would see constant benefits) and how many are rocking setups that are still new? It's not that big of an audience who needs an upgrade right now, has a lot of $, and works in very specific roles.

Mainstream consumers that are using Office, Salesforce/SAAS stuff on the web, and even most of Adobe Creative Suite aren't going to see any sort of magical uplift to their day. Ditto with most gamers. It's a case of a niche product and a platform that requires people to purchase at least 3 new/major components.

pegasus1 likes this.
  14. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    What about lowering prices by 20% to offset the fact that motherboard prices are absurd and DDR5 is 30 to 40% more expensive than DDR4?
    Anyone with AM4 and DDR4 is better off upgrading to Ryzen 5000. Intel offers support for DDR4 and has more affordable motherboards.
    With the current economic crisis impending, people are not going to spend $600 before tax on CPU+MB+DDR5. That's probably 750€ for the cheapest system without GPU, case, SSD or PSU.

Keitosha, Fediuld, barbacot and 4 others like this.
  15. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    considering good MB are damn expensive and the most cheap lack of basic things like wifi, multichannel audio or have crap thermal pads on vrms..

barbacot and Maddness like this.

16. sfdmark

sfdmark Active Member

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080ti OC
    Z790 mobos have about the same prices as x670e. And well, upgrading to a 13900K and sticking with ddr4 might be an option, but in reality no enthusiast want that :D.
    Is too early for AMD to lower prices anyway. Don't forget the budget mobos with 650/650e is almost 10 days old. I assume that the combo of these cheaper mobos + cpu would be easier to swallow.

17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    When in doubt while releasing a quite expensive hardware gen, cut down production to make it even more expensive because of "weak PC gaming market".
    Can't make that up. Maybe some people realise that AMD is just a company like any other.

18. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    the aibs build boards like everyone has spare cash not only to burn, but to w/c as well.

if there were B series boards under $200 like they used to be folks wouldn't complain.
    but no, every board needs to be built for OC'ing when in reality only 20% do.

if the price was based on the way the market was there wouldn't be a problem. but all people "see" are E series and fancy ddr 5 kits while the move to make HEDT a chipset thing is muddled withy an E class in the B series.
    so a whole lot of confusion in the market as well.

but it you think that's bad, it's worse for Intel because of three generations in four years. talk about confusion in the marketplace... while AL took most of the enthusiasts that RL depends on and ML will be doing the same.

Maddness and Solfaur like this.
  19. Bo Alenkaer

Bo Alenkaer Member

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti @2101
    Well, the high price of the dollar. Contributes alot to the decreased value of Ryzen 7000. Price i too high in the EU, simply becuase, almost every thing is traded in US currency.

At the intruduction of Ryzen 5000, the 5900x was traded in Denmark for about 4399kr(589€), the 7900x is at 5290kr(708€) right now. That is a 21% price increase, for the same $549 price of the CPU's. The exchange rate of the Danish Kroner, is linked to the Euro.

Cheap motherboards are nowhere to be seen as well. Like Asus shiped only their prime ROG boards, the Strix, TUF and Prime series, has been delayed for about 3-4weeks after the launch. Thos are also traded in dollars. So with the higher manufacturing cost, of insane over dimensioned VRMs and better PCB quality for better signaling, that is needed for PCIe5 and DDR5, the price of motherboards are also doubled. I bought an Strix X570-E(329€) in 2020, if I want a Strix X670E-E it will cost me 669€.

tunejunky and Maddness like this.
  20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Lower prices? Never!

I was interested in upgrading but when i saw that 7700x costs almost 500€, the MBs start at 300€ and some budget DDR5 RAM costs more than 200€, i suddenly lost my will to upgrade...

And Intel CPUs are even more expensive!...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
    kakiharaFRS, Keitosha, Silva and 3 others like this.