Review: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founder edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 11, 2022.

1. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    That's just nuts! Are we still living in 2021? Those prices are appallingly disgusting ..... words fail me. AMD has to release their RX 7000 series at reasonable price, does not need those newfangled power connectors (I dunno about others, but I do bend the PCIe power cables for cable management, not sure how well/badly the new cable form factor would hold up under such circumstances) and be more power efficient, and they'd have a winner.

The RX 7900 XT does not necessarily need to outperform the RTX 4090, just be within striking range of it. regardless, I'll be in Canada just after the release of AMD cards in November, so I'll be forced to wait till I get back home to jump on a new card to replace my RX 6900 XT. By then, I'd prolly have all the data I need to make an informed decision.

Fediuld, CrazY_Milojko and Maddness like this.
  2. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    The whole 'Reduce the Power Target' thing seems to be a very good type of workaround for the card's total (potential maximum) power consumption and heat dissipation.

If all you have to do is set it to a Power Target at 60%, saving power draw of about 130 Watts and only lose 5% of overall performance by doing that... then I really don't see why anyone would NOT do that at all. Even if you DID do something like that, the card would still be much faster than even the RTX 4080 16GB anyway. It's an insane and simple find that I think the majority of 4090 users should really look into. I'd argue that simple 'trick' alone would warrant the purchase and skipping the 4080 line entirely.

Solfaur likes this.
  3. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Can't wait to see what he 4070 brings to the table

4. Ivrogne

Ivrogne Master Guru

GPU:
    a GPU
    Wait, what? This is sarcasm, right?

pegasus1 likes this.

5. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Like AMD is a charity ha ha ha. With a share price that's down 32% she better be all about profit and not care who buys the cards.

Maddness likes this.
  6. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    AMD could still have a winner in their hands if say 7900XT is 90% to 4090s 100% and be priced £999 - £1200 with a 350W power draw, i think a lot of people would go for it.

waltc3, Undying and Fediuld like this.
  7. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    So without dlss3 it's roughly same as 3090 vs 2080ti percentage wise. In average so in a way basic flagship launch also 4N proving to be way better then Samsung 8nm which is no wonder.

I am interested how will AMD fare they are after all also going to 5nm and increasing the amount of shader cores even more than Nvidia did gen to gen.

Fediuld and Meathelix1 like this.
  8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Just like Nvidia which is down by 40%

Fediuld likes this.
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    afterburner beta is 100% compatible with ada, apart from device names.

more games will see it used in directstorage enhanced titles.

lol, no.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  10. cpy2

cpy2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Ti 4600
    Is it me or it is CPU limited in 4K in some games?

11. Meathelix1

Meathelix1 Master Guru

GPU:
    10x 3090ti 24G
    Exactly, but with a huge increase in price. :D

12. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Doesn't look to be with 5950x at least it's relatively close at times but not limited. 1440p on the otherhand.

13. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Sorry to correct you but it's "Founders Edition" not "Founder"

14. Sempaii

Sempaii Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2070
    2150eur to 2550 eur in Denmark think ill stay on my old 2070

15. gianluca

gianluca Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 TI 8GB
    It's a simple undervolting, nothing new or fancy. The only insane thing is that NVIDIA let the people think that the 4090 was a power hungry beast, when instead is more efficient than the 3090, like really they are trying to convince people to still prefer the 3090 instead of the 4090.
    I guess they still have thousands of 3090s to sell. :)
    Also, considering the undervolting results the overall design of these cards now appears "too much": the dimensions, the oversize cooler, the power connector. :confused:

Solfaur likes this.

16. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I'm impressed with this much performance gain, but more impressed by the fact that the card can cool itself quite well at this much power draw (with air). It' way outside my price range (even the US price, since it will be much more expensive in my country), including the ever-increasing energy prices here. Still, I'm more interested in seeing a review for a 4070 now, than I was during the reveal (though the prices will probably still keep me away).

17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Not if you do not set saving power as your goal. If you want max fps, you'd be happy to have more power, a bigger cooler, more heatpipes etc.
    It's just a difference in perspective, and not everybody wants / needs to focus on energy efficiency.
    That said, I'm very impressed on what der8auer actually was able to achieve with his test card in his video on the power target; and what generally is possible with undervolting.

18. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Seems everywhere they are sold out within minutes. Deja-Vu LOL

Fediuld likes this.
  20. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    If you care about Ray Tracing, DLSS or AI applications there is no reason to wait for AMD - they lost that train unfortunately... but if you don't, it is the smart thing to do.

fantaskarsef likes this.