Review: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founder edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 11, 2022.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I'll take ur 3090 Strix for $500.

It's a fair price.

You clearly don't need the money, seeing how you throw it around.

2. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I guess with a lot of glue ? They confirmed mcm design... Now how well that works ....we will see in the reviews it might be a zen2 moment or bulldozer moment :p

3. Sylencer

Sylencer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 Strix OC
    Wish it would be the same for the 3090 :<

4. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Do you guys reckon the 200w cards of this new generation are going to see similar performance gains also?

5. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Don't. I bought it and I have sincere regrets - graphics are good (not all of it) but that's it - otherwise is a pure mess of bugs and menus - a lot of menus...

XenthorX likes this.
  6. sfdmark

sfdmark Active Member

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080ti OC
    Obviously, you need to read my initial post. I said the performance leap is huge, but other than that overall is bad product or if you want pre-mature. Insanely expensive and power consumption is out of this world. Maybe for your pocket is spot on and you can go for it, enjoy 4K at ultra settings (good luck with that in most games), but for me and I assume for the majority is not.

P.S. Prices in my country for AIB range from 2.400€ to 3.000€

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Hmm I forgot about that. MCM would allow AMD to keep up more easily since they don't have to worry about having perfect yield with such gargantuan dies.

Venix and Fediuld like this.
  8. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX

I think that you are referring to 6900XT not 6950XT and about this rumor numbers vary from 40% to 130% and also that increase is not clear if it refers to Ray Tracing performance or rasterization...

[​IMG]

9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Im willing to bet that it's just cause msi afterburner needs an update for it to be 100% compatible with ada.

10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    First of all, i live in Denmark, not 'murica, so i dont accept dullarhs.

Second, 2nd hand price for 3090 strix in denmark is 9000 dkk, or 1200 usd, so how about no.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Der8auer did a review as well, and during gaming it's usually at 325 Watt, while the 3090 Ti is at 450 Watt.

pegasus1 likes this.
  12. sfdmark

sfdmark Active Member

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080ti OC
    Well if it is to waste 3K € easily for rog strix, waste 700 more Euros and give him your 3090 for 500€ . :D:D;)

Why_Me likes this.
  13. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Great review as always @Hilbert Hagedoorn , spot on , well done and awesome ! . As expect it , it is a fps pushing monster , so freaking fast of a video card. In my opinion only 4k , 8k , high refresh rate monitors need apply. This card is not for 1080p or 2k monitors , it is made to handle 4k and 8k high refresh rates monitors anything less will be a waste of money.

It needs to be paired with the latest and fastest cpu and memory/ram to get that bottleneck out of the way too , even at high resoutions. The good = great increase in performance. The Bad = Still uses a lot of wattage , kind of hot , and expensive + expensive ( oh wait , i already said it :p " expensive " ) .

I do not need it as i still play at 4k 60hz v.sync and my 3090 strix water cooled is enough for that resolution. Do i want one? heck yeah :D , but my point of view of gaming/overclocking and wasting thousands of dollars on hardware has change dramatically since i retired last year. Now that money goes to traveling the world instead of wasting it on hardware.

Embra likes this.
  14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    The power consumption of this card is freaking nuts, Nvidia are completey drunk.

Check the video, Der8auer sets the power target to 60%.... YES 60% and only loses around 5% in performance but drops power draw by around 130W!!!! Are Nvidia on crack or what?

chispy likes this.
  15. EngEd

EngEd Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I can see that it is twice as fast vs my rtx 3080 10gb in terms of fps without RT and with dlss its even faster. But it still does not justify the 1600 dollars starting price.

I am sorry Nvidia. You need to lower the price to 1200 dollars in order for it to be worth. And yes this is a 4k120fps I will say

16. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    The best thing about these 4000 series cards is the DLSS3 in my opinion, and the fact that it can get around platform/CPU limitations by using "frame interpolation" IIUC:
    upload_2022-10-11_17-47-9.png

The thing is though, that frame interpolation is not "real" fps right - the game engine doesn't think it's operating at that higher fps because the CPU is not pushing it, instead the GPU is pushing the extra frames through interpolation - this means that you don't get the same latency benefits as the game engine is not really running as fast as the displayed framerate - so I'm thinking that when it comes to competitive gaming that the only advantage of the interpolated frames (DLSS3) is that motion on screen is potentially smoother and less motion blurred due to the higher displayed framerate, but there are no latency benefits associated with that "fake" increased framerate as the game engine & CPU are running at a lower framerate than that which is displayed on the monitor. Is my interpretation correct?

The increased raytracing performance is another good point with these 4000 series cards, but when it comes to overall average increase in performance in various games then a 60% increase from 3090 to 4090 is ok/good but it's not a massive increase like we've seen with some previous generational jumps, so to me it seems that 4000 series cards are not by default a "necessary" purchase if you've got a competent 3000 series card already. (The telling thing will be how much the performance jump is from 3080 to 4080 (12GB & 16GB) given the price differences/increases).
    [​IMG]

The 4090 Founders Edition card looks aesthetically better than I expected it to, based on the previous photos I'd seen of it. And it's not really any bigger than a standard 3 fan RTX 3080 (except maybe a bit wider), but length & thickness (3 slot) is on par with standard 3 fan RTX 3080 cards.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  17. ThermaL1102

ThermaL1102 Active Member

GPU:
    KFA2 1070 OC
    oh nice , the fridge my friend ordered is ready for pickup
    i'll wait for the mid-range myself , the price on these 90's is ridiculous really

18. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Quick @Dragam1337 , tell him he is wrong :p:D

19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn Nice review boss.

This 4090 is such a strong performer it looks like most titles are seeing CPU limitations below 4K. Time for a 13900K test bench? ;)

Why_Me likes this.
  20. sfdmark

sfdmark Active Member

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080ti OC
    Travelling around the world and spent your money there is priceless. Well said !

chispy likes this.
  21. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    People who paid 2000 GBP/Euro/USD in 2022 for a 3090Ti will post negative comments regarding the 4090, its the law of things.

Why_Me, Fediuld, Undying and 2 others like this.