Core i9-13900K Just Behind Ryzen 9 7950X In Blender Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Why_Me likes this.
  2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    The Intel CPUs sport more physical cores than the AMD CPUs, even if a portion of the cores are smaller. It makes sense they will do well. For a few gens now, AMD hasn't touched the core counts, whereas Intel has increased them. It's the exact reverse of the situation when AMD beat Intel with the first gen Ryzen. In Intel's statements they had perfect trust and faith in Kaby Lake, which did beat Ryzen 1000 in the games, optimised for scarce cores back then, but naturally lost in everything capable of using all the cores, due to having only half of the core count Ryzen had. Now it's the other way around. I don't know if the 3D cache can help in anything but games, but I still think AMD should have used the technology in these "normal" CPUs, perhaps only leaving it out, for example, in non-X models. As it is, AMD also couldn't avoid increasing the power consumption, so I can't help but feel AMD isn't doing as much as Intel this time. It wouldn't surprise me if the rumours of poor sales of Ryzen 7000 were true.

Why_Me likes this.
  3. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Ryzen honeymoon period is over. Intel is back and most amazingly still on the old Intel 7 node. Also I don't think poor sales are rumors, but a sad reality. Last few Ryzen launches all desirable models were out of stock for 6 months or more. Now I see all 7000 CPUs readily available with ton of stock.

Intel made so many clever choices with 12th and 13th gen. These efficiency cores that people used to joke about will come to haunt AMD. And supporting both DDR4 and 5 at the same time was brilliant move.

mohiuddin, Why_Me and GoldenTiger like this.
  4. cpy2

cpy2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Ti 4600
    The Core i9-13900K is 9% faster than the Ryzen 9 7950X.
    AMD Ryzen 9 7950X, 16 cores and 607.53 points
    Intel Core i9-13900K 24 cores and 557.66 points

How the hell does that sentence makes sense? Less points is better?

mohiuddin and Valken like this.

5. 7950x will be the productivity king. But if you factor in price of the whole platform, then I'm afraid Intel will provide better perf to price ratio. It's still kinda weird to call Intel the cheaper alternative...

mohiuddin and Why_Me like this.
  6. cpy2

cpy2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Ti 4600
    Not necessarily if you consider power consumtion, I'm sure intel will use way more power. I can't wait for review benchmarks.

7. gianluca

gianluca Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 TI 8GB
    These benchmarks don't mean nothing if they don't come with a comparison of the power consumption.
    The best cpu is the most efficient one, and to answer this question we will have to wait months, until all the cpus are released and their drivers optimized.
    A cpu may finish a render 30 seconds slower or scores 100 pts less, but can result the most efficient in the end.

8. Consumption is another story. All reviewers should update their methodology to current state of things. That is testing all CPUs against a specific consumption target. Guru3D already tests CPUs with specific clocks for IPC comparisons. So testing CPU performace with specific power consumption target should be added as well. This is increasingly important and I would add performance tests with let's say 120W power limit to every review.

mohiuddin likes this.
  9. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    You have seen that a 7950X also sips its cool ~250W right? :D
    Intel can't really go above that, as it becomes uncoolable. So at peak they are likely going to be equal.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  10. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    There is something WRONG with this article. I got the same WT ... feeling reading through it, 3x. sigh...

11. gianluca

gianluca Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 TI 8GB
  12. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    13600k>+17% 7700x, those 8e cores must be making up for 2/4 zen 4 cores and then + 17%

13. hamltnblue

hamltnblue Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Single core vs multi-core. The story wasn't written very well.
    It goes on to confuse even more.

Valken and Kaarme like this.
  14. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I wonder how important it is. If we are talking about regular private consumers, they aren't taxing their system anyway close to 100% most of the time, so we would need to study some average consumption statistics over a length of time. I've seen people say here at Guru3D many times that Intel CPUs don't use that much power when doing regular stuff, which doesn't push the CPU to 100%. I have no particular reason not to believe them. If we are talking about pros, how much does it matter? Let's say, arbitrarily, that a random pro's work is worth 30 bucks an hour. I don't think electricity costs yet quite so much that whether they used Intel or AMD, it would make much of a difference in workstation use, compared to the produced value. It would probably matter more if the pro can save half an hour a day or not in waiting time. If we are talking about servers, things would be different, but that's another topic.

But then again, this is just my pure speculation.

Why_Me likes this.
  15. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Guys choose the rating you prefer:
    performace/watt, performace/dollar, dollar/platform-life, fps/dollar and pick the winner for you.

Low sales for ryzen 7000? i hope is true. tech and non tech customers knows that the ryzen 5000 is fast enough and cheaper, and other knows an intel model is behind the corner and waiting.

16. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    All that happened is the 13900k and Ryzen 7950x were switched in the sentence that says one is 9% faster than the other.AMD's Ryzen 9 parts are the only two chips that can beat Intel's Raptor Lake CPUs in Blender's heavy multi-core workload. The Ryzen 9 7950X is 9% faster than the Core i9-13900K, and the Ryzen 9 7900X delivers 7.6% more performance than the Core i7-13700K. [​IMG]

tunejunky likes this.
  17. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    AMD made a mistake releasing the 5800X3D IMO. They gave people a viable option that included keeping 100% of a PC aside from the CPU.

This is compounded by giving AMD fans a preview of 7000 series X3D CPUs, which are likely to be gaming monsters.

AMD should have let the 12900K take the W.

Why_Me likes this.
  18. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

no, they didn't.
    the 5800X3D was issued for two reasons: 1) lowering the cost of Genoa 3D servers (only one fab in world makes 3Dcache) and 2) providing an AM 4 upgrade during transition to DDR5

both worked spectacularly.

there is far too much hyperventilation re: sales especially considering not all board partners have released product.
    this isn't analogous to anything else and Raptor Lake is struggling too even though all the board partners have their product in shops.

19. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    struggling with what ?
    selling cpus before they're reviewed ?

20. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    no
    i was replying to nosirrax