NVIDIA will suspend all operations in Russia and relocate its staff.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 6, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    toyo likes this.
  2. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    The only question I have, is why has it taken so long.

schmidtbag and Embra like this.
  3. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Remember to bring the bottles of methane gas with them!

fluidz likes this.
  4. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Money. It would have cost them a lot to take quick and decisive action. Nvidia isn't the only company still dragging this out naively expecting things will go back to "normal". It won't.

Solfaur, tunejunky and Brasky like this.

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Russia was one of the top mining countries. No wonder they stayed so long.

Solfaur, Nopa, chispy and 3 others like this.
  6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    There are a whole lot of complications involved. As this article said, Nvidia appreciates its Russian workers' skills enough to be ready to ship them out of Russia to work elsewhere, so it must be true Nvidia didn't want to close the office immediately back then, by simply firing all the workers. On the other hand, Russia has done all it can to make it hard for many foreign companies to leave. It was the worst for any foreign companies with significant investments in Russia because leaving immediately meant, in practice, donating all of their possessions in Russia to some Russian company owned by one of Putin's billionaire friends. If the foreign company took its time, it was at least possible to make the Russians pay a little bit for the stuff. Transferring any production tools out of Russia is forbidden, surprise, surprise. In fact Russia likes to stop many professionals from leaving as well. In Nvidia's case, it's hard to say about the material costs. Did they have a supercomputer in Russia? I hope not. Whatever they had, there's a high risk of it ending up in Russian hands, to benefit the Russian government and military, unless destroyed. The Russian government would no doubt love to have all the Nvidia employees with technological know-how.

Of course Nvidia is greedy beyond measure, but leaving Russia now isn't so simple either.

Valken, Stefem, Nopa and 4 others like this.
  7. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    Other companies did this in matter of days, they relocated their workers and closed the offices in Russia, sadly for greedy nvidiot it took almost 8 months to wake up

8. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Mostly greed and complete lack of morals.
    It's reminiscent of IBM selling hardware to ***** Germany, until the USA entered WW2.

KissSh0t, Nopa, mentor07825 and 3 others like this.
  9. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Not only them: Ford also have a dark history there, my grandpa were in camp and hated american because you had less chance to survive in Ford factory than in BMW that were owned by real ***** in this time (btw he survived to both, and to red army too).
    Money make people close their eyes :(

Why_Me and tunejunky like this.
  10. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    There are plenty of Western companies still in Russia. Sure, some left very quickly, some didn't. Some smaller ones might have gone bankrupt if they had just abandoned everything in Russia just like that. Some companies actually have long contracts/license agreements in Russia, making things more complicated if those deals can't be honoured by operating mostly from the outside.

To be honest, I was also surprised Nvidia took this long, but it's indeed another sign of their bottomless greed. It's hard to imagine what exactly would have forced Nvidia to stay there, unlike a company that, for example, had a real factory in Russia. When such a company leaves, that factory would fall into Russian (government controlled) hands with all the machines inside. It could be used to produce equipment for the Russian military afterwars, if suitable for the purpose. I imagine the Nvidia employees in Russia were doing nothing but computer work and customer support. I guess there's a remote possibility the Russian government told Nvidia that the leadership of Nvidia Russia would be imprisoned if Nvidia was in a hurry to leave, but greed seems like a more plausible answer.

I'm from Finland, so I've read a bunch of stories about the struggle companies may face when leaving Russia. I'm not especially sympathetic, but it's understandable, especially for the small businesses, which may have bet a whole lot in it. The worst part are the (short-term) victories for the new Russian owners. Getting a modern factory with tens of millions of equipment practically for free is no different from legalised highway robbery.

tunejunky likes this.

11. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Ford is much worse than IBM.
    With IBM, it was just a matter greed above morals. But Ford was an open ***** supporter. He published a journal spreading antisemitic ***** ideology, in the USA.
    And he idolized Hitler, so much, he had a painting of him in his office.

Valken and tunejunky like this.
  12. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    You know your company is a cesspit when McDonalds has the moral high ground. lol

mackintosh, glutto, KissSh0t and 7 others like this.
  13. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Nvidia acting like they actually care.
    All they did was stay long as possible to ride mining wave in Russia.

mackintosh, Solfaur, Nopa and 2 others like this.
  14. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    That is what makes America so great, you are free to be an idiot.

15. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    To be an idiot is very different from being s *****. Ford was a *****, not an idiot.

PrMinisterGR, Solfaur, Nopa and 4 others like this.

16. ETH has transitioned to PoS and NVIDIA quits Russia. How convenient :)

Nopa, Valken and Fediuld like this.
  17. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    Nobody would complain about any of this if Nvidia GPU's were cheaper.

Why_Me likes this.
  18. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Takes time to set up back channels. Don't believe for a single second NVidia or AMD going to lose the Russian market.

Maddness, Valken and tunejunky like this.
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    they had location in russia

20. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    they were supporting economically the employee, the production or anything related to product imports was already halt.

Maddness likes this.