Intel announces Arc A770 Graphics card available on October 12th at $329

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    329$ for 3060Ti performance....
    Intel is betting on AMD and NVidia not lowering price/performance for the next generation of GPUs.
    This is really bad news for gamers. As the 3 companies might be trying to scalp consumers as much as they can.
    But then again, why buy an Intel GPU, if we can get the same, but with better drivers and support from NVidia and even AMD.

Silva likes this.
  3. Meathelix1

Meathelix1 Master Guru

GPU:
    10x 3090ti 24G
    I love their marketing tactic, Oct 12... and claiming that their cards are 65% better in Ray Tracing. That's a bold statement.

I can't wait for Intel to become really competitive in this space because they have the money to burn to make their advancements and also sell at a loss.

The more competition for medium to high end the better for all of us.

4. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I'm calling these DOA.
    For that price ain't no one going to go through the headache of trying untested buggy drivers, praying and hopping they get fixed.
    The only way I'm wrong, is for the A770 to outperform the same price card from the competition by some margin.
    Didn't we all wish for a 3rd competitor, but they're all in for the profit. Maybe if we vote with our wallets, I'm holding on to my RX580 until she dies if this keeps going.

Slammy and Venix like this.

5. Chert

Chert Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060ti
    The 3060 ti is $399 so the A770 is cheaper by $70. If the drivers are decent, it could turn out to be a good alternative to the Nvidia card.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It will be hard to beat amd 6600/6650xt for 250-300$. 6700 10gb is also there so 3060ti is not a problem as in reality costs more than 400$.

7. Chert

Chert Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060ti
    The A770 should have better ray-tracing performance compared to those AMD cards. Maybe that 65% better ray-tracing performance claim is actually against AMD and not necessarily Nvidia.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    The price seems very good, if the performance leaks are real.

The guys at Intel must be crazy...

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Isnt the a770 raytracing somewhere around rtx3060? Thats is better but nothing spectacular and xess is still under work.

10. Meathelix1

Meathelix1 Master Guru

GPU:
    10x 3090ti 24G
    They already are losing money here. Just imagine how much it cost them to even start looking at making GPUs.

11. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    My thoughts exactly .... Remains to be seen what arc does if it does anything at all on opengl dx9/11 too... If the card is not working or is atrocious there is not even an option for me too.

Silva likes this.
  12. LEEc337

LEEc337 Member Guru

GPU:
    Team Green 960
    I was expecting at least $400 at release this good news

13. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Intel's primary concern, as far as GPUs go, are in the server sector. Intel has traditionally been huge there, but over the years GPU compute has replaced CPU compute, and Intel had absolutely no say in it. They could still sell their CPUs because GPUs need a CPU to control them, but it's still only a lesser slice of the cake. Not to mention already a few years ago Intel would have noticed that the king of GPU compute, Nvidia, is actually planning to get rid of third party CPUs. Which it did now, despite failing to purchase ARM for exclusivity. With the Zen MCM architecture, AMD has also beaten Intel in the server CPU efficiency for the time being, plus AMD has its own GPUs for compute, being thus able to provide a full package up to the top of the supercomputer level. Intel's situation wasn't too rosy. It desperately needed its own solution for GPU compute.

What comes to the gaming graphics cards, although I'm no expert, but I believe, aside from the drivers, it's not that much extra work and effort after developing a competent GPU architecture in general. Intel has some of the best minds in microprocessor technology, it has had working iGPUs for ages, so there was no reason for Intel not to go for it. Plus it's also synergy both ways: what they learn from gaming GPUs can benefit the server compute ones, and vice versa, no doubt.

In short: Intel had no choice.

14. LEEc337

LEEc337 Member Guru

GPU:
    Team Green 960
    I mean who's got the askin price of 4090 for a gpu so powerful that you're only gonna max it in benchmarks the amount of performance is insane, so intels 'humble offering' is spot on, yes its buggy but most of the crap we use to play games on pc is buggy, they will fix it and it will get better as time moves on, have a little faith and welcome the extra player to the game

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    400$ would be doa as even at this price its a tough sell.

16. Slammy

Slammy Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7800GTX
    Def DOA, i said that when i saw that they were depending on that BSer Raja Koduri. Guy is a total fraud and single handly ruined ATi by never delivering what he claimed. I was hoping they had stolen some unknown top engineer from Nvidia or even some new unknown person but nope. Raja was able to con Intel it giving him control so now its going to be funny watching how much of Intel's money he is able to burn AHHAH

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    lol, no.

18. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    people still forgot how bad intel drivers are..

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Dont worry soon reviews will remind us. :D

Silva likes this.
  20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    cheaper then 3060ti same performance and more memory? could force nvidia to re thing there pricing if the performance is actual there and drivers dont suck