Intel Announces 13th Gen Intel Core Processor Family Incl Core i9-13900K

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 27, 2022.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    The i5s are what intrigue me most here. That's a hefty upgrade over 12th gen and should be more than enough power for gaming. If they release a 13400, preferably an F model with the same P/E core configuration as the 13600K, the only thing that will prevent me from getting that is if AMD releases a 7700 non-X for the same price.

AMD is actually in a pretty good situation right now. They released first and all their diehard fans will pay whatever they charge. The demand is currently low enough that scalpers aren't going to drain the inventory. Since Raptor Lake isn't likely to be much better (if it will even be better at all), by the time it gets released, AMD can lower their prices to be directly competitive. By then, supply will have caught up, where scalpers again won't mess with supply. Since AMD's price drops will be newsworthy, reviewers are bound to mention it, which is basically free advertising.

Why_Me likes this.
  2. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    I like when people call the e-cores useless, then explain in that same comment why they are useful.

Why_Me and Dribble like this.
  3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Fact is that E-waste cores don't contribute with anything in gaming, which is what most people buying these chips are going to use them for.

4. beedoo

beedoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6900XT Liquid Devil
    Hmmm, I have my VRM in my loop too. Not too worried about the temperatures, even with my room sitting at 30c+
    By the sounds of it, switching to a 105w power profile still yields excellent, competitive results...
    Will be interesting to see what the coming months produce, with BIOS updates etc.
    Can't help but think AMD shouldn't have gone with previous cooler compatibility in mind - not after watching 'the' deb8aur video...

5. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Neither would 8 more "P" cores contribute. Its almost like someone that only does gaming should not buy the 13900K or 7950X, but stick to a reasonable model. :D

Why_Me, Mda400 and Meathelix1 like this.
  6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Unless those 16 crap cores + 8 real cores can compete with the 7950X in productivity, who is going to buy it aside from the most ardent InteLMAO fanboys?

Personally, I'm glad I decided I didn't want to deal with DDR5 prices and whatever absurd price the new mobos will be, and just went for the 5800X3D. I was expecting Raphael to crush it, not roughly match it... followed by Intel becoming that "mOaR cOaRz!" clown meme.

7. Meathelix1

Meathelix1 Master Guru

GPU:
    10x 3090ti 24G
    I guess all new tech will be sitting on shelves for a while. Get ready for these companies to lose money next year.

8. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    and the 5800X3d will generically beat both Zen 4 and 13k at gaming even still ;/

9. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Man the DDR5 price here is still sky high that it makes Intel 13th way better choice than Ryzen 7000

13900K + 32GB 4000C16 would cost the same as 7600X + 32GB 5600C30

Plus the 30s boot time on Ryzen 7000 make it unfit for high end builds

Why_Me likes this.
  10. I find it odd the 1-1.5mm of added thickness of metal would cause such huge difference. Maybe they use different material for the IHS or different process of applying the indium on dies.

11. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    De8aur did many things at the same time to get that temp difference.
    I am guessing he used "normal" paste on the IHS for first test, Liquid metal would be the first 5 degrees or so.
    He then removed the lid completely, very few do that, most put it back on. 5 degrees is a guess.
    He then made a bracket to prevent the CPU from bending like the 12900k. On 12900k 1-10 degrees difference.
    Used a new prototype liquid metal. he himself says 1-3 degrees
    Used overclocked settings that only amplifies the heat transfer problem.

Doing all this on a 12900k will be around 10-15 degrees, and I am pretty sure the same would be true for the 13900k.

12. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Am not going to buy this as I personally hate Intel as a supplier, however am excited as an enthusiast to see the competition levels we have right now between AMD and Intel, I did not go to x3d on AMD last gen but I may do this time around because at the moment the 5800x3d is toasting both companies best on a lot of games, I do think Intel was very dishonest with the way they showed the x3d on the performance charts though and the way they crippled the 12th Gen and the opposing Ryzen 5950 with poor ram but thats Intel for you and am sure AMD do the same to look better.

13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Where did you see me claiming that more P cores would help in gaming? Oh, you didn't? Then how about you stop putting words into my mouth.

What WOULD help in gaming, was if they took 8 p cores, removed the e-waste cores, and gave it a buttload of l3 cache, just like amd did with the 5800x3d. That would smash everything else in gaming performance.

14. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    For sure. Its just that one of the biggest sellers of desktop CPU's isnt driving the sells now. My point was more so that I suspect desktop sales to be way down this year even with all the new stuff from AMD and Intel.

Freeman likes this.
  15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well , the Whole New 13th gen Raptor Lake line up is up for pre-order at newegg. Finally my last upgrade for my end of the road PC Gaming hoobie , no more PC rig gaming upgrades for me , next stop in a few years XBOX + PS5 :D .

I have pre-order the 13900k already , shipping is October 20.

Screenshot 2022-10-02 141902.png

Krizby and Airbud like this.