Corsair Now Offers 12VHPWR Connector Modular Cable Capable of Delivering Up to 600W

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    They say that my platinum 1000W PSU isn't suitable for more than 450W o_O

3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Well yours is the older ax non-i 1000w... that's a very old psu by now.

4. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Yep, ancient at 3 yrs old :rolleyes: But that is completely irrelevant

I could buy a Corsair 1000w PSU tomorrow and the support statement is exactly the same, Corsair say I can't use 600W with their 12VHPWR cable.

AIBs like Gigabyte are bundling 4x8pin to 12VHPWR with their 4090s..... So not sure who will actually need one of these Corsair cables anyway.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022

5. anthos

anthos Guest

GPU:
    -
    Well as far as I can understand these cables connect directly to the PSU so you don't have to use unreliable adapters and additionally from what I've heard is that since they connect directly to the PSU side they can draw double (300w) the power that a normal PCI-E cable can do on the GPU side of things. (again not sure on the latter part but for the former there's a lot of people that want to avoid any adaptors).

Dragam1337 likes this.
  6. Vtech

Vtech Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    "The cable is compatible with PCI Express 5.0 which conforms to the ATX 3.0 standard"

I don't think this sentence is correct, because the extra pins for communication cannot work, they don't exist on the power supply side, a "non intelligent power" supply doesn't became just with a cable adapter.

7. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I am a bit worried about that but I don't see anything on the Corsair cable that indicates any kind of balancing between the 2 8pins. Electrically, it would seem to be identical to using an adapter, no?

8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I am guessing it's cause corsair doesn't deem it safe for 1000w and below psu's to push 300 watts per 8 pin pcie connector.

And yes, there is bundled an adapter which tests has shown get extremely hot (as in it has melted and caught fire in several instances) and is extremely fragile... hence why alot of people (myself included) won't under any circumstances use that adapter. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    No, the adapters bundles 4x pcie 8 pins to a single 12 pin 600 watt connector. Corsais cable only uses 2x pcie 8 pin cables, meaning you will pull double the amount of power per cable.

10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    600w going through a single cable!...

southamptonfc likes this.

11. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Corsair are saying that their cable can handle 263W per 8pin cable (75W from PCIE slot) and that's assuming the load is spread evenly between the 2 cables and I don't see any mechanism to do that.

12. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    The pcie 8 pin cables are wired directly to the corresponding 12 pin cables, so i'm guessing it will be administrated by the power controller on the gpu.

13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Yes, it does seem like a rather stupid decision.

14. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Cables can't have any mechanisms to control anything. It's all up to the GPU. If the GPU tries to draw too much, the PSU's overcurrent protection (OCP) will cut the power off (or if it's a Gigabyte PSU, it will explode, which also cuts the power, just with more violence). Graphics cards with external power connectors have existed for a long time, so the card manufacturers would know how to balance the power draw per cable. However, neither the GPU nor the PSU would know if the cable is or an adapter is insufficient. That can lead to those parts melting or catching fire. Then it's just poor engineering, which is hardly uncommon, unfortunately. We have all heard about graphics cards' power spikes (well above what the card's wattage is supposed to be) tripping the PSU OCP, for example. At least power spikes don't melt cables.

15. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Electrically, that is no different to an adapter which connects to 2x8pin pcie cables.

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    IMO it's best to just wait out for proper ATX 3.0 PSUs to show up, than to mess with cables and adapters. As far as I understand the first ones will be out by the end of the year, just in time for RDNA3 cards to be out, along with sufficient testing of the 4090s. The last thing I would want after spending a fortune is to have constant fear of potential fire hazard.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  17. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    They will launch in mid december... so they will be available in europe maybe in mid january.

No one is going to want to wait for that. Im not anyways. So im gonna buy the cable once it becomes available :)

18. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    That depends how they are wired up to the 12 pins.

19. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    I dont know why anybody is bothering with the 4080?I cant think of anything thats out or coming out that even needs it.Plus you need like $4000 computer now to run it.lol

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  20. JronMasteR

JronMasteR Member

GPU:
    ROG Strix RTX 3090
    At least Corsair is not telling everyone that they need a new PSU.
    This is evidence that decent PSU's can supply much more than just 150W through 1 8Pin. That 150W Limit was set years ago by NVIDIA... its not the limit of the 8pin nor the wires.
    2x 8Pin cables together have 6 12v wires. exactly the same as the new 12+4pin. So there is absolutely no reason why an 8pin cannot pull 300W.
    And for all the drama about melting connectors, that problem is also present on ATX 3.0 PSU's.
    Its the connector that is really fragile... Just 30 connection cycles. Ridiculous