Case shorting my pc?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by davyon, Sep 26, 2022.

1. davyon

davyon Active Member

GPU:
    3070 EVGA
    Hi guys! after some year of having light and easy issues im back for blood i mean more.

The thing is, 1 week ago there was a hurricane that made some good rains but nothing mayor in my city,
    except for the electricity coming back and fourth, something that isnt that uncommon anyways.

I left my pc powered i forgot to turn it off that night, big mistake i know.

After the storm passed, o tried to turn my pc and it didnt work.
    1-I turned of power supply switch, the pc turn on but after 2-3 secs turned off
    and tried again several times didnt work.
    2-Tried reseting CMOS... DnW
    3-Removing any non essential... DnW
    4- Changing Momery Slots...
    5- Using other RAM stick (2 weeks before the accident 1 Ram went bad [blue screens] so i had to remove 1 stick. Used that stick instead as it turning on with it. DnW
    6- Tried getting cpu out and reapplying themal paste. DnW
    7- Tried turning my power supply with just 1 fan... it did the same 2 3 sec and off.

by that momment i though i had it.... the psu has failed.
    I took it a pc store next day for they to test it... it worked fine... flawlessly... so i was back to step 1.

So i brilliant idea came, and i took everything outside the case.
    And it worked!! the pc turned on... in fact im on it know, already tried some games etc.

But i dont know what to do from this point, never had or heard of that issue, and i cant find any leads on youtube.Should i buy new case? get a mobo? cables seem fine, do i need to ground the case or something... i already tried to put i back in and i didnt work.

Note: the case light that i came with dont work anymore but the arent connected neither, took 1, the light of the power switch in the case had rgba but isnt turning on either... but the same bottom is turning the pc outside so it isnt shorted.

PC= MSI x570 Gaming plus
    P= Ryzen 3600
    G= EVGA 1080 SC
    R= 1 Stick 16gb TEAMGROUP T-Force
    PS= EVGA 650watt Gold
    M.2= Silicon Power 1tb

2. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Few things come to my mind:

1). Shorted front case USB 2.0/3.0 ports -> try not to connect these to motherboard
    2). Some of small "tongues" on motherboard I/O plate/shield is inserted into some of USB or HDMI ports causing a short
    3). PC case spacers, those that keep motherboard "away" from metal plate of the case, is on the wrong place
    4). Very weird thing, saw this only once in my entire life: cheap PC case's metal plate, that one you screw motherboard to it, is bending motherboard the way it can't function propperly. I was banging my head against the wall when I had this problem on my friends PC some 20 years ago.

About the case grounding: yes it should be grounded for sure, if wiring in your house/apartment is done well PC case should be grounded through PSU.

3. davyon

davyon Active Member

GPU:
    3070 EVGA
    1)i already tried when i didnt connect anything non-essential
    2) I think the psu is ground since the plug has 3 inserts and the big middle one is the ground in my country.
    3) Will Check, friend told me that last week i havent tried cutting the small extra edge that i just bended when i armed the pc.
    4) Well this case has store 3 different mobos and this one very well has been there for 2 years. i dont notice any bending or extra force when screwing.

Ill check every cable, including a set of fans i installed 2 weeks ago and see.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    replace the power board.

replace the display port cable. (pin 20 issue)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022

5. hijodeosiris

hijodeosiris Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    Man you always suggest to change power supply.... I know it might sound easy, but is getting kindda repetitive, or is that PSUs are the most prominent hardware to fail?

Legit question, not trying to start an argument.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

Try reading entire words.

7. cliffgamerz

cliffgamerz Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3070 8GB
    If you have a Multi meter handy, you can check the power outlet on the wall (not Power supply) first to see if its working properly to it's standard voltage, if it's fine next step is to check Power supply voltages using Multi meter, you can find multiple videos on youtube or quick google search will give you detailed information, also check the ground pin point as sometimes if a light voltage passes through there due to wiring issues from storm there is a chance for PC to behave badly (speaking from experience). I live in a tropical place so i feel the pain you have to go through constant power disruptions but i make sure power is constant and proper before i resume work on my PC.

davyon likes this.
  8. davyon

davyon Active Member

GPU:
    3070 EVGA
    the issue is just when i install the components in the case, with the same periferals, sdd, hdd, all the same. inside doesnt turn on... outside it does works normally.

ill try some of the things you guys said today.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  9. hijodeosiris

hijodeosiris Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    Try with just the mobo, cpu and one memory stick on top a box ( Or another safe non conductive surface).

Start adding pieces one by one, till you can reproduce the error.
    Had similar issue, took me 10 days.

Ended up being a defective CPU (bought and open box), but I never imagined could had been that if not testing piece by piece.

Maddness likes this.
  10. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Leave the motherboard outside your case and only connect one piece of hardware each time you start up. Eventually, you'll find the short.

11. davyon

davyon Active Member

GPU:
    3070 EVGA
    update.
    The pc started doing the same even with the mobo outside of the case.
    At this point i was tired... so i just went to my local repair shop... armed everything inside...
    what do you know?
    It turned on normally... i didnt knew how to feel, if happy or embarrased... anyway.

the repair guy told me that i could be having voltage issues in my house, so he suggested me to get an electrician..
    i simply got a voltage regulator in the mean time...
    The pc turned on succesfully inside the case with it. so maybe im in the right direction this time.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022