Arctic halts troublesome MX-5 thermal paste; MX-6 successor spotted at almost three times the price

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Most people here have probably used MX paste somewhere down the line but since Thermal Grizzly came about then not so much. People want the best and MX5/6 isn't as good as Thermal Grizzly Kryonant or Conductonaut.

3. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    I made the mistake to not use TG kryonaut when repasting my 3090...+10-15° everywhere.....great.....I'm waiting a potential 7950x build to redo it but yeah next time I'll wait rather than use random paste I had laying around (my bad I know)

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Have you tried MX-5? For me, it's not even about it being as good as Thermal Grizzly. It's about being able to remove a heatsink without damaging a processor. MX-5 behaves too much like a thermal epoxy. I used it the last time I mounted my AC eSport ONE.... When I went to remove the eSport ONE to replace it with my AIO, I twisted the heatsink back and forth until it felt like the MX-5 was breaking loose. Even with trying to lean the heatsink over to remove it, it still ripped my 5600X out of the socket. Then it took 2 people prying at it to get the 5600X off of the eSport ONE heatsink. It should never take that much effort to separate a heatsink from a CPU....

I switched from MX-4 to NT-H2 a few years ago, though I do still keep a tube of MX-4 around. I haven't seen a need to bother with Thermal Grizzly. If things ever get to the point where the small advantage that TG has over NT-H2 actually matters, it's probably time for more drastic measures than just a TIM change....

Agonist likes this.

5. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    MX-4 is great, but i had a terrible experience with MX-5, the paste had way too much viscosity.

6. thestryker

thestryker Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    The tube of MX-5 I got is terrific, but I got the one which came with the spatula and have used that every application because of the consistency. I don't think I would like the results without using the spatula for spreading it thin.

7. Ripcord

Ripcord Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6500xt
    I have stopped using TG kryonaut, it works great at first but performance quickly degrades, its ok if your repasting every 4 weeks but for set it and forget it, I'm currently using syy 157 really good performance that doesn't drop off with time. 1/3 of the price as well.

8. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
  9. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I put Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut High Performance Thermal Paste on my 5800X and Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black cooler about 15 months ago. I've seen no real degradation in temps since then. If there was it's like 1 or 2C nothing to worry about and this is a 5.05ghz 5800X.

AuerX likes this.
  10. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    I used 10_year old MX4 paste on one of my 12900K's it was fine.I also may have got it for free all those years ago,not sure if I will buy any MX6,I still have about 10year supply of different paste.after I ran low a little while back.
    I think the paste people put too much thought into it,cheap paste is good enough.

11. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    4 grams 30 euros almost ..... Hell the drug dealers might stop selling drugs and start selling thermal paste at this point :p

12. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    From what I have read some Grizzly do not work well after been over 80c, that's what degrades it

13. olapaulakoski

olapaulakoski Master Guru

GPU:
    msi hawk 5770 1 gb
    I just got mx-5 two days ago, already pasted 2 CPUs and GPUs at home. It works greater then the works great for a while then "pumps out" and overheats kryonaut. I forgot to repaste in my son's computer so his caught fire when kryonaut pumped out!

So I'm back now to arctic cooling, and now this news. Jesus this reminds me when I switched to mx-3 all these years ago.

The tube of Mx-5 i got was totally fine, i don't really feel like going through all the trouble of repasting again. I just want to keep my family's computers chugging along for 5-8 years straight without anymore hazards.

14. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Hmm.
    Just pasted my Proxmox server with MX-5 a few weeks ago.
    Will check on it, to see if anything is out of the ordinary. Hope not.
    Anyways, there goes my MX-5 tube on the "last option box"
    Time to check for new things.

15. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    This news article saddens me:
    I still have the MX4 4g tube I bought back in...2008? It was so long ago I can't remember.
    I know I've used it in multiple builds, even to repaste GPUs, and so far I didn't have a single issue.
    After years of cocking on top of the hardware the paste is never dry or sticky and coolers come out as soon as I release the screws with the springs tension alone!
    I still have 1/3 of the tube, I'll miss it when it's over.
    I don't care for the best cooling, I just want something efficient and not too expensive. The most important aspect for me is that it doesn't glue the hardware together.
    Since I had my first incident, I never used stock thermal paste again.

16. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Honeywell sheets (or liquid metal) and TGPP 10 > anything else.

TFX might serve as a decent replacement for TGPP in some places.

MX is trash and has been beaten by at least 7-8 pastes.

TheDeeGee likes this.
  17. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    I always use Noctua even though I dont use Noctua coolers I do use only Noctua fans, it may not be fancy or as sexy as the various thermal blah blah etc but it works and it works consistently and my temps are always fine and splitting apart for maintenance or swops is never an issue, I may lose a deg or 2 ( or gain lol) but hell who cares. Not used Arctic since it ripped a CPU out many years ago a Fx8730 I think

TheDeeGee likes this.
  18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I got some MX5 and its like glue. Terrible stuff, MX4 is much better. But a tube of Kyronaught is the way to go.

XenthorX likes this.
  19. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Yep and it turned into watery crap after two weeks on my GPU, i'll stick to Noctua paste.

20. gQx

gQx Active Member

GPU:
    2060/6144
    well if you have a 50 million dollar house you ll eye the 150m one. finally arctic decided to join the greedy firm vagon at last

GSDragoon likes this.