Core i9-13900K Raptor Lake Again tested and it's very fast

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 5, 2022.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    That's some powerful cognitive dissonance there. That's like getting a 700HP V8 and dismissing how much gas it guzzles because "it's not that bad when you're cruising on the highway". Then what's the point of buying it if you're not intending to tap into its full potential?
    If the only workloads you put the 13900K under have a reasonable power draw, you might as well just get a lower-end CPU, since you ought to see no noteworthy difference. If you insist there would be a difference then you better go save up for that $500 water loop.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    ...what? Unless you're on the autobahn, you're not going to go 200 on the highway. If you were to go 200 without being a selfish reckless idiot, then you're actually taking advantage of the car's potential as intended, where perhaps (but maybe not actually) its fuel consumption isn't so much of a problem. Since the chances of that happening for the vast majority of people is pretty slim, my point still stands:
    What's the point of paying extra for potential you will most likely never use? Seeing as gaming is your example, you'd be far better off just dumping that money into a better GPU, a better/quieter cooling system, or more storage. With a 13900K, you're either burning money on excess performance (remember: you also need to spend extra on cooling, PSU, and the motherboard) or you're burning yourself by sharing the same room as it.
    A 13700F ought to be a bargain in comparison and have a negligible impact on gaming performance.

Airbud likes this.
  3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    It's sad to see people having issues with something that one hasn't had any. It always makes me think that I am lucky also. Whilst I've had bad luck with Intel more so then AMD.

Just work I don't believe there is even one pc component maker that makes things that just work.

bobnewels and Stingray like this.
  4. Stingray

Stingray Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Super OC
    5 gaming rigs in the house as my whole family games including my wife. Mix of AMD/INTEL/Nvidia, all work majority of the time with different configs and components. My rig is all AMD 5900x/6800XT and works great. After years of Intel/Nvidia, I will probably stay AMD for the next upgrade as well. Don't care about RTX or DLSS as I mostly play CoD/BF and get over 200 fps in native resolutions.

5. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Over 200fps in BF 2042 in 1080p?
    Show me and learn me :)

Maybe I need Amd gpu with my 5950x?

6. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I watched somebody comment on Putin the other day, you could easily delete PUTIN and insert INTEL
    "I dont believe what they say, i only believe what they do".

bobnewels likes this.
  7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    There is a point - while I take CB results with a grain of salt in terms of how good a CPU is, it does put the CPU under a realistic all-core stress load. Some all-core workloads will run cooler, others may run hotter. CB isn't running unrealistic calculations, so it's a good metric for how hot your CPU is likely going to get under 100% load. If this was Prime95 or stress-ng, I'd say "this is a stupid comparison" since that's not a realistic stress load and is purpose built to make the CPU run way hotter than normal.
    Like you said, the game performance across the 12K series is a small difference. You're right that it wouldn't get that hot in gaming, but why get it if that's all you're using it for? It doesn't make sense to buy a CPU knowing >33% of its potential will go to waste. You said "Do you need 2x radiators and custom $500 cooling plus else to game?" but you will need all of that if you intend to do anything more demanding than gaming.

So, if you're trying to justify your next upgrade and gaming is your top priority, I'd say the 13900K is not worthwhile.

8. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    people will quote whatever number fits their story. those who cite 300w stress test power consumption numbers on intel will only use gaming numbers for amd.you made a good point about most cpus using sub 100w for gaming these days.the only exceptions would indeed be 11900k and 12900k but they're bad value compared to 11700 and 12700 to begin with.

9. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    ahahaha I'm not a cinebench gamer but I do have apps that use x threads per process so using the cpu to 50-100% happens more than "just a gamer" and I found cinebench is relevant for my use, that said....recent ASUS motherboards auto overclocking feature asks you to do cinebench runs, and amd clock tuner ryzen tool needs them too to find your best settings so that annoying cinebench trend has become almost unescapable if you tweak your gaming PC
    and my overkill build is used mostly to run my over-modded skyrim which is unrelatable for everyone except a very small niche

have a nice week peeps don't get angry over pc hardware we will all get something for our needs in 21 days ;)
    guru3d.jpg
    wild alpine ibex say hi ;)

Attached Files:

10. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    You can keep your BF2042.
    BF1, 5 years ago ran 180 FPS with a Titan xp.
    BF5 hits 200 with a 12900k and 3090

11. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Bf 5 running 400+ fps with 12900k with 7000c30 ddr5 and 3090 ;)

[​IMG]

Why did you quote me? Do you love me that much? <3

:D

12. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    I quoted you because you keep changing the goal posts to fit your narrative and to provoke people and call people noobs.
    BF2042 is the only game in the series that runs like crap and it is even simpler in details then the previous games.
    Why would you waste time and effort with this game?
    EA pretty much needs to shut down the older games, to get more players to join 2042.

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Gaming is my top priority and I'd say it is worth it if you want the best performance. I'll likely throw in a 13900K when it's out

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  14. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Good post and of course you didn't receive a single like and no one quoted you. Inconvenient truth. AMD fanboys always try to sweep such data under the rug. Instead they fixate on some rumors and extreme overclockings with LN2 350W 450W 500W insanity prime95 synthetic nonsense and keep repeating it like broken record.

15. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I double checked. Previously checked max power use only. But I run BF5 for 5mins. Average is ~120W with spikes over 140W.

My 280mm AIO with 4 14cm fans has to work hard to keep the CPU cool.:)

Trackmania Turbo only uses 50w.

I don't have FC6 but FC5 averages 85W.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    tty8k likes this.

16. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Your logic work for budget build where every dollar saved can make a difference somewhere else, like building a gaming PC with core i5 and use the saved money for better GPU.

For enthusiast build, getting the best gaming performance is the priority.

And Cinebench is a synthetic workload that does not represent gaming at all, I have no idea why techtubers like to quote Cinebench power consumption figure for gaming CPU, probably because they are morons.

17. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    From OCN

"RobertoSampaio

"What I can say is that all the wattage rumors are always overrated...

We've seen people talking about high power at 10900k, 11900k, 12900k, and now we see the same people talking about the same...

For the correct reading of the CPU power, you need to calibrate the DC load line... And nobody does that... So we always have people talking about 300w or 400w...

The power consumption of the 13900k, running stock, full load, is around 200W. Overclock I believe at 250w...

I'm testing the CPUs with a $20 air cooler and a regular paste... It's part of the test. CPU is hitting 90C at this condition."
    View attachment 13191

18. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    No more info?

This could be anything from stock cpu to max overclocked with ... without info, your numbers makes no sense :)

Post atleast full hwinfo, so it's easy to compare.

There is also a big difference in 4k BF V with low fps and 1080p low quality with high fps, in therm of powerusage :)

19. ~AngusHades~

~AngusHades~ Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    I bet even with 40000FPS your KD is 0.60 lol. Just a reminder folks, that higher fps doesn't help your get kills. hahahahaha

20. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    It's a 9900k running at 5ghz all core. So very similar to a 9900ks. I'm running at nearly 4K, 5120x1440

This is a good test:

Shows how the 12900k is able to push hihger framerates while using less power than previous generations.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    TheDigitalJedi likes this.