AMD Ryzen 7000 processor announcements (preview)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 30, 2022.

1. Pryme

Pryme Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800 SWFT
    The density of this chips is really making a diference, my Noctua NH-U14S started on a FX 8320E, that chip went above 200W very easily when doing high overclocking, and yet the Cores were at 70º maximum back then, Bulldozer had a more conservative temperature ranges so it was ideal not going above that. With my Ryzen 2600, it was possible to maintain 150W TDP and the cores not going above 85º, with the 5600 is a no go, the cores get hot very quickly nowadays, on Prime95 they literally explode in temperature, it rises so quickly that almost no gives time for the fans to accelerate.

2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    You were also doing video encoding while playing? End of all you are also comparing two different systems so I don't even understand your point.Your oc'd 12700k gets to roughly stock 12900k level in power consumption...

And going by reviews something like 5950x is 150 less watts too.

But I can see his system consuming 830 easy that is counting in motherboard, gpu, cpu, whatever harddrives one has and fans and AiO....

450 + 350 worst case scenario for stock 12900K + oc'd 3090. And if he is indeed doing encoding and what not I can see his system getting there.

3. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    He could be streaming and using CPU to encode the stream (you get better quality and/or higher compression using CPU encoding vs using NVENC/AMF-VCE), very important if your internet connection isn't suitible for high bitrate/bandwidth. It's quite a common practice.

4. warezme

warezme Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    Personally I do more than game on my PC so I don't give a rats posterior on 3d cache for gaming. Just as long as the CPU's are solid, good all around at a reasonable price. People may have forgotten but Intel was trash for years and kept sticking it to everyone with same 4 cores and measly upgrades you still had to fork out a new mobo and ram to get until AMD laid down the law. Intel is dead to me so they can keep their sad inefficient desperate "game" chips all to themselves.

5. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    What nonsense are you spouting!
    Zen3 is no issue when it comes to cooling provided you use a cooler that is of the correct type and rating just the same as Intels CPUs cheap out and they overheat, have been reading your nonsense this whole thread and frankly your ill informed and passing on your incorrect info to all who swallow it.
    Zen 4 is a new design period, does it have elements of Zen1,2,3 yes of course it does as all things evolve just like you have elements of your Grandparents in you. Zen 4 is on a smaller node, it has more cache, it has AVX512, it has a built in GPU for desktop use, its way more efficient than zen3 etc etc and whats more its AM5 what more change do you need?
    My AMDs a 5950x and a pair of 5900xs plus a 3900x in my media pc thats sat in a cupboard all work just great and no overheating see enclosed a example and yes it is closed loop.
    upload_2022-8-31_15-55-8.png

6. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    PCIe 5, AVX-512 the list goes on.

7. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    A few clarifications from Robert Hallock

AMD-DDR5-6000-FCLK-Ratios-For-Ryzen-7000-_-Robert-Hallock-Discord-_1.png

fantaskarsef and Undying like this.
  8. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    With the current Ryzen electricity prices, these Ryzen TDPs aren't welcomed. I'm also in more need of an affordable GPU than a total new system, so I'll watch with interest but pass.

9. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I wonder what the “extreme” oc chipset will get up to. I can’t imagine these things aren’t running close to the ceiling as all zen chips have.

10. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Apart from the sales BS by adding stuff that few people actually want or need, to drive up the prices, id image the Extreme boards add extra functionality like guaranreed PVIe lanes, more USB, SATA and NVMe slots

Maddness likes this.

11. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Yep, all that and at one hell of a cost too.

12. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Tbh if you don't allow it to boost. You would see way lower power requirements most likely. Anyway TDPs are going to rise most likely every gen a bit with this type of competition. And not like the node shrinks are giving too much headway.

13. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I need 3 x
    I need 3 NVMe slots and a ton of USB sockets as my AsRock 570 Taichi has now, i suspect il need to buy an Extreme board for that.

14. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    igpu my @$$.
    more gamers have a dedicated gpu, so forcing this on the majority on buyers is a joke. those that don't play can buy a fraking gt710 for 30$.

since they also decided to hold back on 3D cache models on launch, i dont care to upgrade anymore.

15. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Quoting a components temperature without quoting the ambient is 100% pointless. Without aircon my gaming room can be 40C in summer and 10C in winter, thats the difference between a CPU running at 90C or 60C.

HandR and Silva like this.
  16. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Seen it here https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7000...c-230w-ryzen-5-7600x-up-to-90c-at-120w-rumor/

While true, not stating the ambients does make this leaks credibility questionable, we can only really take it as an estimate at best.

If the leak has tested this sample at room temperature, between 18-21°c, with a known good cooler, then it does illustrate my predicitions and comparison to prior AMD Zen2/Zen3 thermal behaviour in the difficulty of cooling these high density chips. Conversely, if this was tested in a warm and humid environment, then these leaks are just useless.

pegasus1 likes this.

17. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    pssst lets see what the real world tests show not rumours, whatever it does I will bet my next years wage Intels chips are hotter

Ivrogne and pegasus1 like this.

18. Ivrogne

Ivrogne Master Guru

GPU:
    a GPU
    Not really, they did it to maximize profit and fully control their hardware.
    Efficient? Well its an ARM, of course they're efficient. It takes a very little power to run an ARM.

19. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Why do folks insist on comparing Arm chips to x86, the software in Apples case is a walled garden you cannot step outside what they design so no matter what you do they will design the whole system to show them in the best light, this is especially true when you look at threaded workloads, Arm chips work better on single threads period, however x86 work far better in simultaneous threads, this is where the software side comes in Apples software is designed to take advantage of the Architecture whilst neither Intel nor AMD design software am guessing if they did it would look a whole lot better for the same specific scenarios.
    Truth is Apple is a tiny part of the computer market and frankly its about as relevant to the majority of home or office users as Linux, Its bespoke and you have to either be a programmer (Linux) or have a specific need personally to lock yourself out of 80% plus of the worlds software (Apple), why do you think Apple purposely chased and designed for graphic designers, simply because its a lucrative niche market where they can focus the software design.
    X86 is simply better for everyday use, sure Arm is better in terms of power consumption but to achieve the same performance they need more cores, servers and users are normally licensed by the core thats where the cost comes in and where the balance and parity in the 2 platforms meet, I can imagine a time say on 3nm where X86 and Arm have virtually the same power envelope.
    Apples CPU is not "better" its designed for a specific niche userbase with propriety software how can you compare the two?

Ivrogne and pegasus1 like this.

20. shady28

shady28 Member

GPU:
    GTX 2060
    The 7600X bench's that showed up on Geekbench and are being used for comparisons are at 5.4Ghz.

So you lop 7.4% (delta between 5.4 and 5.0 Ghz) off of those scores and you'll wind up with 12600K performance.

21. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    The sole aim of a headline is to entice somebody to read the story. That might mean buying a paper, as we did in olden times, or clicking a link as the kids do now.
    Either and both of those generate income.
    Does the headline have to be accurate? Hell no, and neither does the story or article.
    Its all about the clicks, remember that people.
    Trust nobody, believe nothing.

bobnewels likes this.
  22. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    Wow I agree 100%

23. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    there's a 280w zen4 ?

suty455 likes this.
  24. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Exactly!

25. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Shadowlands is hardly a taxing game though try something like Doom Eternal or cyberpunk my point is the Arm Arch and specifically in Apples case the software is cherry picked to show the best possible results whilst the PC deals with everything you can throw at it and has to be able to run a turn by turn and a AAA title out of the same envelope.
    All work requires energy which is usually converted to heat or movement etc, modern PC chips and SOCs from all sectors are getting better at sipping the energy rather than gobbling it up look at the Ryzen 7 in comparison to the previous gen if AMDs results are to be believed its a huge advance as were the previous gens since Ryzen launched, Intel has its big little type solution that simply is not as good consumption wise overall, but I think in a couple of years no matter what the Arch we will see parity as the competing structures and designs converge in cpus, Graphics is a whole other ballgame however and it will be interesting to see the solutions they all come up with.