The Ryzen 9 7950X geekbench-tested beats Intel Core i9-12900K.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 31, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    Slower than Intel 13 gen? Ahmm... interesting?

Freeman likes this.
  3. Abc666

Abc666 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 1070 8GB
    That remains to be seen, from the looks of it the X3D version land in Q1 already, so any gaming advantage Intel is going to have will be very short lived.

Personally i dont really care about 5-10% performance difference, if it comes at the cost of higher price, higher power draw, platform without PCI-Gen 5 support for both M-2 and PCI-Express slots at the same time and on platform that is EOL.

Id take AMD if i had to pick.

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Intel needs 24 cores to beat AMD's 16 cores in this chart. So, yeah, it looks pretty interesting.

5. Aekold

Aekold Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Though with P/E cores, the thread count comes out to be the same. That said, AMD seems to be rocking single core performance!

We'll have to see what the real power draw numbers look like. The 12900k was crazy and I don't see the next gen getting much better.

6. Pale

Pale Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 1080 Ti
    It doesn't actually matter, how many cores Intel needs to beat AMD in a threaded workload. They just have a different architecture. What matters is that they do it within a comparable chip in terms of cost/die size and performance/watt. That 13900K also wins in single threaded performance equally impressive. Granted, the 3D cache chips will likely increase performance for AMD. And Intel will have to come up with a similar tech. But Intel appears to have the overall better idea about architecture with their big/little setup, with performance cores taking care of single-core workloads, while the efficiency cores ensure a lead in threaded performance as well. So I'm guessing AMD will have to Intel's way as far as overall architecture is concerned within a generation or two.

7. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Took a test with 12900k and DDr5
    I don't know how it is possible to have such low 12900k score that this "leak" has.....
    This result is before starting to turn up the overclock :p
    geek 5 12900k  6800 ddr5.png

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    shady28 likes this.
  8. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    But that score is with your tweaked DDR5, right?
    Geekbench loves fast ram.

9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    If the Intel CPUs were crazily power efficient fully taxed, thanks to the efficiency cores, I'd also say the architecture is a huge success, but in reality that doesn't seem to have been the case. The performance difference in the rumours/leaks so far also hasn't been truly significant. Obviously things need to move forward and change, so it's possible Intel's route is the best one forward. So far AMD's uniform cores seem to be competitive enough, though. Time will tell. It's going to be interesting to see the situation five years from now.

tunejunky likes this.
  10. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    That thing can be 10Ghz and it would not matter if it was stuttering and causing restarts on every OS.

General Hardware discussion is full of Ryzen. And will be. We will all see new posts of AM4 :"hey guys, what do I dooo? What's wrong with my PC?" and we will see AM5 with most likely new issues.

Looking at how AMD approach release of new CPU it's to push sales.

I dare you: Say one word about driver and software support! Ever heard of : "
    "Welcome to AMD's User Experience Program"? The one thing every user avoids?

It will be interesting CPU and one to be careful to seriously look at.
    Screenshot_2022-08-31-18-23-19-331_com.android.chrome.png Screenshot_2022-08-31-18-23-19-331_com.android.chrome.png

Why_Me likes this.

11. Kelutrel

Kelutrel Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    No. Not even a bit imho. It would work if the E-cores were just slowed down versions, but they are also removing features from them. The OS scheduler will need tarot cards to predict if a certain thread can, or can't, run on an E-core and if there is any advantage in doing so. They are just trading performance for complexity on the OS atm. I would not put my bet on that big.little architecture in the long run, it is just a temporary solution while their process reaches a sufficiently small size to have 16 performance cores on a die without requiring 400W.

TLD LARS likes this.
  12. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Yes, and that's my point. They are testing more memory than the cpu. Looks like 12900k was using like 4800mhz xmp :p

shady28 likes this.
  13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    The features removed are things that the vast majority of software doesn't use or doesn't yield much benefit (HT). A single P-core is nearly 4x larger than an E-core, yet even with HT, it doesn't even offer double the performance clock-per-clock in most applications. Key word is "most", because while there are some where a P core makes a big difference, the E-cores are a better use of die space for the average desktop CPU.
    However, I do agree that this complicates the scheduler, but that seems to have been ironed out pretty well. Remember: logical threads cause scheduler complications too.

14. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
  15. winning.exe

winning.exe Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    E-Cores are not a temporary solution, you can very easily glean this from Intel’s roadmaps. In fact they will be releasing all E-core processors by 2024 :cool:. Moreover, AMD is developing their own E-core (first for the enterprise space) which will be released as Zen 4c (alongside Zen 4); whether or not these cores will come to consumer parts remains to be seen.

Unless AMD wants to be completely humiliated in multi-core benchmarks from now until the end of time, they’re going to need E-cores in the consumer space :p.

16. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    What matters is real life testing not benches imo. Doing benches like this show maximum throughput which leans on those little cores from Intel a lot. We shall have that soon enough.

17. winning.exe

winning.exe Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Comments like this make me wonder :eek:.

My PC is used mainly for highly threaded code compilation, CAD, and rendering, with only occasional gaming. This is entirely throughput based and scales nearly linearly up to 128 threads (in my testing). If I had to buy a consumer processor, I would benefit greatly from a huge number of E-cores.

Is this not a “real life” scenario :D?

18. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    this score is manual overclocking (INTEL) vs stock (AMD)

19. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Score has no useful info, so it's useless.... Garbage at best :)

20. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Yes and no.
    The 5950x was mostly a better rendering CPU then 12900k if power usage was not ignored.
    The doubling of e-cores is going to give a good boost on the 13900k, but it still looks like the super fast p-cores are hungry at full load.
    I am still missing a lot of info on the 13900k I am afraid that everyone has the super turbo 350W setting enabled to inflate scores.